Colour Adjustment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Duck

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a North English Brown fermenting right now... this is day 3 of the ferment.

My gravity sample shows the NE Brown to be more like a NE Gold :-(

Anyone think of any reasons why you would NOT steep some more Choccy malt and or some Dark Crystal 220 EBC to try for a more "ruby brown" that is the colour I am aiming for ?

Method is as follows :

- Steep 100g Choc and 100g Dark Crystal for 30 mins in a brew bag in 2L of water
- Take the bag out and boil wort for 10 mins
- add to fermenter when it has cooled slightly

Impart your wisdoms my friends !!

Duck

No problems with that mate, just be aware that there will be some fermentable sugars in the crystal or chocolate...

For a nice red colour you might want to try some roast barley?? Or you could allways cheat and use food colouring, or wear rose tinted glasses :lol:

No problems with that mate, just be aware that there will be some fermentable sugars in the crystal or chocolate...

For a nice red colour you might want to try some roast barley?? Or you could allways cheat and use food colouring, or wear rose tinted glasses :lol:

Hi reviled,

I figure that since the ferment is still going, it will just take an extra day or so. In terms of gravity, I was about 4 points shy of where I really wanted to be but well within the style guides so I don't think there will be a big issue.

Thanks for the tips !

Duck

Yeah, Iv done this before.
Works a treat.

(just dont forget the boiling step!!!)

Hi All,

I have a North English Brown fermenting right now... this is day 3 of the ferment.

My gravity sample shows the NE Brown to be more like a NE Gold :-(

Anyone think of any reasons why you would NOT steep some more Choccy malt and or some Dark Crystal 220 EBC to try for a more "ruby brown" that is the colour I am aiming for ?

Method is as follows :

- Steep 100g Choc and 100g Dark Crystal for 30 mins in a brew bag in 2L of water
- Take the bag out and boil wort for 10 mins
- add to fermenter when it has cooled slightly

Impart your wisdoms my friends !!

Duck

I've tried someting similar (with 100g of roast barley) and went from light brown to black in a blink. The technique is perfectly fine, but I would use half the amount to start with, and check the colour again.

Latest posts

Back