Coles Home Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

struzball

Reaction score
I just went to coles (North-West side Brisbane) and walked past the home brew section and they seemed to be flogging off the last of their stuff.
Has anybody else's stores marking the home brew stuff down?
I'd suggest go and have a look to see if you can get some cheap ones.

I got 2 cans of 'coles australia lager' for $3.60 each. Worst case scenario I'll have really crap beer for $2 a carton.

Has anybody used these?
Are they as terrible as the price would suggest?
Has anybody made something really great from them?

Just cracked a coles brand draught i made. been in bottles for about 2 weeks...Not too bad, be a good session beer. A good one to give to the mates who insist on carlton draught and VB...tastes similar... :drinks:

carlton draught and VB...tastes similar...

................andI thought you said it didn't taste too bad...... :D

carlton draught and VB...tastes similar...

................andI thought you said it didn't taste too bad...... :D

Yes, ive heard all the comments and jokes about VB & draught, but hey on a hot day after a days work any cold beer is good...!

I've used them several times with some very good results. I am drinking one at the moment that was tricked up with quite a few spec malts and some decent hop additions, but the result is very good.

I wish i had written the recipe down, as i would love to do it again. I remember adding Carapils, Crystal 120, Caramalt, small amt of LDM, and i reckon 25 or 30 grams of Super Alpha, to the can but can't remember the finer details. I used this can as a base to use up some odds and ends of spec malts i had lying around.

Generally though, unless you are spending more money to trick them up when you could spend an extra couple of bucks on a better tin, they USUALLY produce crap beer.

If i can find them at $4 a tin, i'm gonna buy a few though....

My local Safeway (Traralgon) is selling all its HB stock (Coopers and Tooheys) at discounted prices. I guess they are going to discontinue.

Thanks for the heads up on this. I normally don't shop at Coles, so I would have missed this.

I picked up:
2x Coopers Pale Ale @ $6.89ea
1x Coles Home Brew Lager @ $4.66ea
1x Coopers Stout @ $5.19ea (last one left)
2x Coopers Australian Ale @ $5.19ea
1x Coopers Brew Enhancer #2 @ $3.29ea

Now to find some toucan recipes!

As I have recently discovered they make great yeast starters.

My local Coles had 3 Coopers Stout kits for $2.00 each. I bought the three. Wish they had more and some ales at that price.

They also had the full Coopers kit reduced to $45.00. I bought that too!!

Not much left.

if they are getting down to that price I'll have to check out my local coles and scam a stack of cans for yeast starters or in 3 months time sell them on e bay

I have used plent of Coles kits plus Woolies and Franklins. Currently have Coles lager in my Tad bottles. I have a draught to ferment next.

I have tried many different makes but if you stick to a proven method the results are great. Beer does not achieve its best untill at least 3 months but who can wait that long.

I was wondering which breweries do the supermarkets get theiur kits

Hi Guys...This may have already been mentioned somwhere else, i have'nt been on for a while but i believe Coles are withdrawing there stocks of Coopers so you will no longer be able to buy it at Coles. Don't quote me on this, i don't have all the facts. This is probably why all the prices are so low.

I've been to 3 coles and a bi-lo near me and none of them have marked anything down. Seems like they found out we found out and want to gouge. Though the shelves look stupid with a few cans of this or that, but bare otherwise. No face up and same said cans on shelf. Greedy so-and-so's.

I'm not at a loss, I AG, but still, it would be good to try a couple of cheap brews for friends, or alternatively I'd have liked to do some yeast slants and cultures - would have been a cheap way to attempt it.

Latest posts

Back