Coles Draught Toucan

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davey

Reaction score
G'day. I'm strictly a K & K brewer so far, done about 10.
Added a hop bag to my current bag, aren't I dangerous!
Just bought 2x Coles Draught. Am going to try a toucan brew to 23 litres.
Thinking I should get a different yeast though.
One of those Safale thingys?
Please advise, and suggest what kind of hop additions.
Cheers, Davey.
p.s. first post.
p.p.s homebrewing and this site rocks...

Hi,
maybe the Safale US-05 is a good yeast to try?

I've used this a couple of times, if you read a bit on here you will see there is probably no yeast being mentioned more often.

here is a link to more information from the supplier:

http://www.fermentis.com/FO/pdf/HB/EN/Safale_US-05_HB.pdf

you probably don't want to add much hops to a toucan as you are getting double bittering from the cans themselves.
Except maybe 10 gr of something steeped in 5 mins of hot water just to add a bit of fresh aroma?

thanks
Bjorn

edit:
sorry, that link wasn;t maybe what you were after.
Try this one, a thread on the forum discussing the US-05 yeast and temperature,
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...1&hl=safale

Safale US-05 is a great yeast to use for a fruitier type of finish I've found... However the only toucan I've done was a Coopers Lager/Draught (purely cos I didn't want to brew either by themselves) using Saf 04 (english ale counterpart), I thought what the hell... After reading up on AHB about the do's and dont's of a toucan I proceeded... Drinking it now after 6 weeks in the bottle and its very very easy to drink, tasty and what I believe is the right bitterness for how a toucan should turn out... Dead easy and cheap malt beer. I think I added 500g of Dex to the bill to amp it up some...

To Bjorn, dead right, 10g of something like Goldings for as little as 5 mins will add that fresh hop aroma to the finished product and is a definite consideration.

Just be sure to keep it under 20 degrees at a given temperature (read:constant temp)

ATM, I am basic K & K, have been at it for nearly a year brewing my a** off and have learnt heaps off this site in particular. Toucans aside, hops (flavour and aroma (bittering if you like to burn your tongue off)) are one of the best ways to improve your beer IMO. All beers inc. toucans, yeast selection is right up there too! Temperature control cannot be forgotten aswell.

Tyler

Latest posts

Back