Cold Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajmuzza

Reaction score
Dumb question time.

I've had a packet of US-05 in the fridge at 4-5 degrees for a couple of weeks. Do I need to do a yeast starter or can I just pitch as per usual after letting it come up to ambient temp?

No you don't need to make a starter. Just pitch as normal........ Depending on what you're pitching it into.

No need for a starter - but I do take mine out of the fridge a few hours before pitching to let it get back up to room temp so as not to shock it. Wouldnt have a clue if it would make a difference but im sure I read it somewhere.
Cheers
Steve

No you don't need to make a starter. Just pitch as normal........ Depending on what you're pitching it into.

Into the fermenter with a 3kg tin of ESB APA. Fingers crossed it'll taste something like LCPA.

Into the fermenter with a 3kg tin of ESB APA. Fingers crossed it'll taste something like LCPA.

Steep some cascade or amarillo for a few mins in a cup of boiling water and pour that in as well, as well as chucking in a handful of either after fermentation (dry hopping). Those ESB APA tins a good.
Cheers
Steve

if you were turning temps down <<<<<<<<<<<<<<i.e pitch at 30 ferment at 20, you will shock the yeast and not get as good performance, also get some weird but ok flavours/tastes that maybe shouldnt be there, turning temps up pitching cold i.e pitch at 18 pull out the fridge at 5 would be a lot better. Always a hard call yet the downside(yeast losing its temp) I stay clear of. Better beer with equal pitch vrs temp and control. Poor beer with unequal pitch and temp control.

just one too many words

Yep just pitch as normal. Try and get the yeast to the same temp as the wort before you pitch though. If you're after something like LCPA I would dry hop some cascade or amarillo as Steve suggested, maybe 20g or so.

if you were turning temps down <<<<<<<<<<<<<<i.e pitch at 30 ferment at 20, you will shock the yeast and not get as good performance, also get some weird but ok flavours/tastes that maybe shouldnt be there, turning temps up pitching cold i.e pitch at 18 pull out the fridge at 5 would be a lot better. Always a hard call yet the downside(yeast losing its temp) I stay clear of. Better beer with equal pitch vrs temp and control. Poor beer with unequal pitch and temp control.

just one too many words

Have you been drink typing again Haysie? ;)

Room temp and rehydrate is good...

BTW the 3k ESB kits are good

Have you been drink typing again Haysie? ;)

Most definitely, :eek:
"Just pitch as normal" from an earlier post , should read pitch at ferment temp...... (full stop) "Normal" could be after the chiller, the next morning or anything in between in which case "normal" is not so.
The most important factor of brewing IMO even before sanitation is fermentation temp control, when my brew goes bad or doesnt work the way i intended, I have very less avenues too contemplate because pitching and yeast wasnt the reason. On the otherhand if i pitched my kolsch at 26, it went to 14 overnight , hit 23 tomorrow etc etc etc, There are some real issues! Bananas probably is good in a wheat but high pitch can bring that out in most styles ( yukk). Besides the fact all your gear may be spotless, you have a ruined beer.

Latest posts

Back