Cold Crashing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ash2

Reaction score
Could you Brewmasters please explain to a newbie ,What,How & Why is Cold Crashing All about :chug: ( CC )

It is the process of dropping the temp of your beer after it has finished fermenting to below 2 degrees. Temps are generally dropped quickly, and it helps to settle out yeast, proteins, hop matter if you've dry hopped etc etc. If is often done in conjunction with fining agent like gelatine or polyclar.

It should not be confused with lagering, which is a very different process.

The time you need to leave it cold for, is very much temperature dependent. The lower the temp (without freezing of course), the faster it will clear.

Might be worth searching this forum for some more info. There is bound to be heaps (some useful, some not so much).

Well you should probably have searched first as there are many threads on the subject. But in a nut shell...

It's not an exact science and there everyone does it slightly different.

What: You chill the beer down quickly to near freezing and maintain that temp for some period of time.

How: Fridge, freezer, keezer, snow bank ... whatever you have access to.

Why: Particulate precipitate better at lower temps. In more brew friendly terms, it clears your beer up - drops out much of the yeast and other things that make beer cloudy. It also has some positive affects on flavour.

Now for my 2c: I cold crash all my ales for at least 3 days. If i want it particularly bright I'll hold it cold for a week.

Preempiting the next question: Yes, there will be enough yeast left in suspension to bottle condition the beer.

EDIT: Beaten by JDW81 who is spot on.

I can show you the Why:

beer.jpg

I just bottled my second cold-crashed beer. I use a siphon to transfer to a second fermenter for bulk priming and you can suck all bar a couple of mm of clear beer off a nice, compact yeast cake.

verysupple said:
Preempiting the next question: Yes, there will be enough yeast left in suspension to bottle condition the beer.

I'm in this situation right now, I normally keg everything, but i've had an irish stout CC'ing between 1 - 3degree's for a little over 2 weeks now, closer to 3, and thinking I actually want to bottle it now instead and save for next winter maybe.
After CC'ing for this long, will there be enough yeast to carbonate, I would like to know your thoughts.

Latest posts

Back