Cold Crash to Keg to Carb & Serve

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simmo1972

Reaction score
Morning all,

I normally cold crash, keg and then leave for a week or two conditioning before chilling down to carb at serving pressure over a week.

Works well and beer is always good, after a slow time brewing I'm very low on stocks so will have to go Fermentor (cold crashed) - Keg and straight on the gas so it is ready a week later (will still carb my normal way rather than force).

Has anyone gone straight to serve like that and is it ok?

Cheers all,
Simmo

Not really amazingly different.

BTW - unless you are sugar priming, you are still force carbing (ie forcing co2/carbonation into the beer), even when you do it over a week.

That's how I used to do it Simmo. Now I do it even quicker. Pressure fermented in a 50lt keg finished already naturally carbonated. Chill it and transfer to serving keg and on tap. Grain to brain in 2 weeks easily. Some are already clear at that time or another week to clear up fully.

You'll be sweet as mate.

FWIW, I cold crash, transfer to keg, (usually) add gelatin, purge, crank up to 30 PSI, shake for 45 seconds, wait 15 mins, release pressure and hook up at serving pressure. Leave for 24 to 48 hours for the gelatin to do its work and then I'm drinking.

You can do it in 15 mins if you don't gelatin.

I've done low gravity english bitters that I've been drinking in 6 to 7 days from pitching yeast :ph34r:

If you are in a hurry to build up stocks have a look at doing a hefeweizen or some other style where you want yeast in suspension. I've gone Grain to brain in 6 days on a hef. I fermented a little warmer on that one so it wasn't ideal but still great.

Cheers

Cheers all you have put my worries to rest, I might try the hefeweizen and get that going asap.

Back