Cold break

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonk1972

Reaction score
Were does everyone stand with cold break do you leave it in the wort or take it out

I chill from 80 to 20 in line to the fermenter. All the cold break goes in.

I don't care about it but that's AG. Shouldn't be a big issue with kit/extract in the first place.

I chill then drain the clear wort leaving 4lt in the keggle. (without tilting or disturbing it)
I like to recycle yeast. Its easier, cleaner without the trub.
edit: Looking at crystal clear Wort straight from the keggle in a Hydrometer test tube blows me away. B)
That 4lt bottom goes into containers in the fridge for x days then save the clear top of that for starters.

This raises another question for me on the topic.
About fermenting vessels with tap ~1 inch above the bottom.
You don't want sediment high enough to reach the tap when you bottle or keg.
A rare problem but I was on that cusp once, when I put it all in.
I prefer minimal sediment.

Ive recently stopped bottling from the primary tap, mainly to avoid hop material from dry hopping clogging up bottling stick which really slows you down! After reading Palmer on the free download of his book I got a spare fermenter (sanitised) a lengh of food grade tubing and siphoned the beer off the trub and hop material into bottling vessel into a solution of priming liquid (search bulk priming if bottling) being careful to try not to splash. This was a little daunting as I don't have a siphon pump, however Palmers tip was to have enough sanitising solution in the tubing to pull the beer through the tube over the rim of the fv and down toward the bottling bucket. Of course you alowe the sanitiser to run out into a bucket or onto the floor if your outside! Anyway search Palmer free on bottling/priming and you'll get the picture. Well worth the bother.

louistoo said:
Ive recently stopped bottling from the primary tap, mainly to avoid hop material from dry hopping clogging up bottling stick which really slows you down! After reading Palmer on the free download of his book I got a spare fermenter (sanitised) a lengh of food grade tubing and siphoned the beer off the trub and hop material into bottling vessel into a solution of priming liquid (search bulk priming if bottling) being careful to try not to splash. This was a little daunting as I don't have a siphon pump, however Palmers tip was to have enough sanitising solution in the tubing to pull the beer through the tube over the rim of the fv and down toward the bottling bucket. Of course you alowe the sanitiser to run out into a bucket or onto the floor if your outside! Anyway search Palmer free on bottling/priming and you'll get the picture. Well worth the bother.
Palmer now advocates against a second fermenter ;)
The website is a good 10 years behind the book editions

Do you mean a secondary fermenter? cause I just use the second fermenter as a bottling bucket.

I dont use any secondary/thirdary..or bottle bucket!!!

All those processes are potential inhibitors of the real deal!

Firstry, - bottle or keg. :chug:

Back