Coffee Stout Qs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottled this a couple of days ago.
Tastes like drinking straight coffee :) this is what I was after. Not beer with a hint of coffee, this is coffee with a hint of beer. To be fair there is not even much of a hint of beer there! Used stubbies and it is now boxed up.
Continuing the extreme theme I also bottled another out there brew. Third edition of "the beast". This one came in at 15% and will be ready to drink in a year! Small bottles used. Beast two was seven years ago. Just knocked the top of the last one at christmas. Tasty!

Have read this one with interest as I am a bit of a coffee fan as well, with a home roaster and Bezzera/Mazzer Major combo :D

For ease of process I would have thought the home cold drip option (coarse ground and filtered through double layer of chux) would be best, but for my tastes the espresso shots would suit the stout better being much richer with the darker roast characteristics. As much as I enjoy the lighter roast options (aeropress, filter etc) I would think they may not be as suited to a stout. This is something I think I may check out once I have gotten more practiced with my brewing again and moved up to the partials.

I am very interested to hear of results from the fellas who have posted already. particularly regarding the coffee process method vs taste results.

Update : fantastic. Love it. Very strong though. Would make it about 5% next time. The mess and time making the espressos was worth it.

Great! now to brew 50 shots for my next brew.
Might french press or chemex them to save time, but I think the bitterness would complement the dark beer well.

All too late, in stopping you brewing 90 odd shots of coffee, but I did a coffee dark ale, Used 150g of Gautemala San rosa cold brewed in a 1L french press(plunger) over night. Cold brew produces very smooth coffee. I agree that you should never boil coffee at any stage of its life. Mine turned out great, but you might be after a stronger flavour.

Poured a shot tonight and as I had a few stubbies of the Coopers Extra Strong Vintage Ale thought it might be worth a go. Poured the ale into the shot, tasted surprisingly good. Added a real nice kick to the ale.

Is it wrong that I no longer think coffee is bitter, it's a bit like hops.
At the start a good pale ale was enough now we're searching for triple IPA's
I will do a coffee porter this winter maybe with cold/ room temp brew and add it to the cube so it's sanitised but not boiled.

Picked up a couple Young's Dble Choc Stouts this arvo, am thinking a mocha might go down well here. I've got a wild Yemen Bani Ismail that might add a good boot to the stout. :D :drinks: Going to give that a burl tomorrow.

Making a batch using Thomas Coopers Stout, 1.5kg Liquid Amber and 12 espresso shots. Tastes amazing so far. Primary Ferment almost done.

Just made a coffee stout. About 200gms of Columbian beans in the secondary for 10 days. Beautiful taste, great carbonation after two weeks and lovely aroma. Buggered if i could get any sleep after the tasting session lol.

Bit late in on this!

Anyway, I often make a coffee stout, with lots of coffee!

I'm a barista in Hobart using Zimmah Coffee. So for my stout I once used a full kilo of "devil in the deep" blend, made one shot at a time... Time consuming! Anyway, it was very tasty but I do think the best one I have done was using the same amount of coffee but in a cold drip overnight. Much smoother, well rounded flavours.

I also have had a few people requesting repeats :)

Hang on... 1kg of grinds? At 30ml/peice per 7.5g shot, 4 litres of coffee?

How big was the brew? Am I reading this right?

Double basket, running about 50ml shots. About 3.5l of coffee in a 24l brew. Pretty close to 2 double shots per bottle. Yes,it was a very strong coffee taste and not many people could drink more than a couple of glasses, but it still tasted good (to me). The cold drip version was much less in your face

I make a coffee porter and just add a cup of freshly ground beans to the fermenter (40l batch) for the last 3 days. I wait till its fermented out then add the coffee and cold crash just like dry hopping. Gives a nice smooth coffee flavour and aroma.

Really enjoying this thread, i love my coffee stouts especially an oatmeal version, so many different techniques getting thrown down here its difficult to decide which way to go. Cold Dripped or steeped seems the way to go at the moment.

Back