Co2, N & Mixed Gasses

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve the Zymologist

Reaction score
Still getting my keg gear sorted out. Have heard mention of Beer mix / cellar mix and the use of nitrogen.

question is can a Harris 601 reg be used for more than just CO2 or am I looking at a specific reg for different gas mixes?

Cheers
Stevo :beer:

I've got an Airliquide co2/nitrogen mix bottle and the std co2 regulator fits fine.

The only problem i know of is when u get 100% Nitrogen - then i am pretty sure it is a different reg from the CO2.

But for Cellar Mix 70% Nitrogen to 30% CO2 - Harris 601 no problems

whats the benifits of nitrogen & CO2 over plan CO2 ????????

you end up with the tiny bubbles ala guiness/killkenny(sorry ken) etc.cellarmix.you also need the correct tap fitting for the correct pour.

cheers
big d

big d said:
you end up with the tiny bubbles ala guiness/killkenny(sorry ken) etc.cellarmix.you also need the correct tap fitting for the correct pour.

cheers
big d
[post="95910"][/post]​

That would be a Ventmatic Tap...

Ken...

cant really say ken.the usual taps advertised need a special bit to facilitate the nitro mix for the required pour how ever i notice the ventmatics lower spout is removable so im sure an adapter for this mix will work.

vents
d

OCC said:
whats the benifits of nitrogen & CO2 over plan CO2 ????????
[post="95908"][/post]​

Most pubs use a mix so they can run higher keg pressures for long lines with out over carbonating the beer. As nitrogen doesn't easily disolve in beer compared to co2.

a screen and small plastic funnel is fitted on the nitrogen taps
it seems to break the gas out of solution and give the upside down bubbles

Latest posts

Back