Co2>krausen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rackemup

Reaction score
Hi all, i put down a Little Creatures pale ale clone, and after i pitched the yeast there was never any significant krausen that developed, just a tiny layer of bubbles on top. The wort was properly aerated and i was careful with sanitation and temp(18c) and there was vigourous bubbling through the airlock but i cant help but wonder if i have done something wrong.

Is there a reason behind this lack of krausen?

any opinions much appreciated ;)

Have you check your hydro reading? If its dropping then your fermenting.

Krausen happens to varying degrees, sometimes you get a big strong one that sits on the top of the wort for days, others form and collapse very quickly.

C02 bubbling through your airlock, is an indication, but for positive confirmation of fermentation progress use your hydrometer!

Cheers SJ

Krausen happens to varying degrees, sometimes you get a big strong one that sits on the top of the wort for days, others form and collapse very quickly.

I have missed the krausen on worts several times, quick check with the hydro always confirms/denies a ferment

Thanks for the replies

I used Coopers Pale Ale yeast reconditioned

i will take a hydro reading asap to confirm fermentation (or lack thereof)

thanks again ;)

C02 bubbling through your airlock, is an indication, but for positive confirmation of fermentation progress use your hydrometer!

Cheers SJ

ok i took a hydro reading and after 10 days @ ~17c its sitting at 1018
does this sound about right for a normal ferment?

ok i took a hydro reading and after 10 days @ ~17c its sitting at 1018
does this sound about right for a normal ferment?

Low temps usuall = low krausen (think lager yeast if you have seen a lager ferment, it usually has low krausen). Make sure your thermometer is correct. 17-18 deg for me will have around a 1 inch krausen, below that its usually non existant and takes 10days~ to reach terminal gravity.

Latest posts

Back