Co2 Cylinder Options

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In reality though, BOC have trouble keeping up with things as they are, every time I return/replace my argon bottles they seem to have made one stuffup or another, recently they reckoned that I had 2 "D" sized bottles of Argoshield lite welding gas - a gas mix I don't use (it's for MIG welding not TIG) and I use the bigger "E" sized bottles anyway. Took a while to sort it out too.
Also, they barely ever even make the effort to make sure I have actually returned a bottle before issuing a new one as their bottle docks are hardly ever manned - they seem to rely on my honesty - lucky for them that I am! It would take the tags to be barcoded for the process to be streamlined enough for it to be practical for the volumes they handle, and then that equipment would need to be available for all the hundreds of distributor outlets that resell the bottles as well.....can't see it happening in the near future, so the bottle wrought will continue for a while yet.
I had a mate who picked up an oxy acetylene set bottles and all (the old owner obviously hadn't thought about it before selling the set), this exact same thing is what he was doing for a while, probably still is if he hasn;t sold the set on to someone else. I'm not saying it's right, it is basically theft, but it does happen with welding sets...I'm sure it happens with CO2 bottles too.

Although its theft its not like getting a pub keg and cutting it up for another use which renders it useless to the brewery.

You are still buying gas ($40 odd) from the supplier and they are still making money from you for each time you change it over and a month or twos rent.

Although its theft its not like getting a pub keg and cutting it up for another use which renders it useless to the brewery.

You are still buying gas ($40 odd) from the supplier and they are still making money from you for each time you change it over and a month or twos rent.

You don't have to convince us paul....tell the judge :eek:

Batz

Last time BOC asked for my account number before they would provide a swap, had to phone SWAMBO to check BOC file. All ok when I gave the number.

I figured that you'd need an account, I wasn't thinking you'd be able to rock up anonymously and get a cylinder swapped for cash - I was just wondering whether returning a 'spare' cylinder would mean your account got cleared of having any outstanding cylinders.

Sounds like it will, but for a limited time only...

I figured that you'd need an account, I wasn't thinking you'd be able to rock up anonymously and get a cylinder swapped for cash - I was just wondering whether returning a 'spare' cylinder would mean your account got cleared of having any outstanding cylinders.

Thats what BOC hope anyway - remember though - Gas and Gear are a set of agents for BOC - dont expect too much continuity across agents - you might find one that doesnt give 2 hoots what cyliner you have as a return.

And the golden rule is to remember what BOC actually stands for

Bunch of <insert appropriate 'C' word>

Cowboys, Clowns - I'm sure that there are others.

RM

And the golden rule is to remember what BOC actually stands for
Hehehe I know exactly what you mean - I've had to deal with them on and off for a few years, both in Melbourne and Sydney - I'd love to see their interview process, they always seem to employ a particularly tiresome kind of person don't they :rolleyes:

I picked up a couple of Sodastream gas bottles from Revolve in Canberra today for next to nothing, and both are about 3/4 full. Has anybody got some pics of setups they have used with these bottles, or links to some info on them? I'm doing a search as I write but thought I'd ask anyway.

I have a few CO2 extinguishers around but am not happy to use industrial CO2... anybody in sydney using a converted Fire Ext and been able to get refills with food grade CO2 from anywhere?

Also, is removing the dip necessary? can it be used upsidedown long term?

Yea, I realise there is probably no difference but for a few dollars I would rather know for sure. Hoping to find somebody who will fill it in Sydney with food grade.

gooda paul d here i use a fire extinguisher i brought from fire control on south road south australia. It cost me $120 and it was full with 5kgs of liquid CO2 it lasts a very long time. I have already refilled it and it cost me $50. When i used the Vt bottle from BOC it only lasted 6 to 7 months. The liquid CO2 lasted 16months thereis no rental on the bottle because I own it. If you guys are looking for a cheap gas alternative maybe contact a fire extinguisher company in your state.
cheers paul d

I have a MyKegsOnLegs bottle as well. My Air Liquide $139pa rental came up again, so a 6.8Kg $200 odd bottle will pay for itself by this time next year.

A friend of mine has a supplier of CO2 that doesn't ask for account numbers. As long as he returns an empty bottle and pays for a full one, all's sweet.

That's all I know.

I've just got a 10kg cylinder from Supagas. $100 deposit, $7.70 per month rental and $37.50 each fill. They have free delivery twice a week and pick up your old one and deliver a new one for the price of the fill.

I picked up a new 5kg fire extinguisher yesterday from a local fire extinguisher company.
They removed the dip tube and refilled it all up $250

I noticed they were refilling soda stream bottles and exstinguishers from the same connections.
so I'm not worried about "industrial" vs "food grade"

I've just got a 10kg cylinder from Supagas. $100 deposit, $7.70 per month rental and $37.50 each fill. They have free delivery twice a week and pick up your old one and deliver a new one for the price of the fill.
What's your location please KGB ?

Razz, you beat me to it. :p
I have Supagas down the hill and am thinking of going with that option.

Sorry to re-dredge a sleeping thread. Finally going the way of the keg (Ross), this week :)

I spoke to a rep (Sofie) at Supagas who said I can get a 10kg Cylinder for just $10 quarterly rental and $35 a fill with guaranteed "Food Grade" C02. With free-home swap as well, this seems the way to go.

I'm in Melbourne (South Melb) and wondering what other VIC brewers are doing for cheapest-solution C02?

I'm still open to the option of owning a cylinder or converted extinguisher. Seems you need someone "friendly" enough to refill them for you, etc. Not interested in mykegsonlegs several hundred dollar ownership, etc.

I've seen cylinders like these around, in the $50 mark:
BEQGASCO29_m.jpg

If I was able to track one down, is it again a case of finding someone to fill it?

Would appreciate it if anyone could shoot me some contact #'s, places to go (extinguisher, cylinder, fill) in Melbs.

Cheers,
reVox

I spoke to a rep (Sofie) at Supagas who said I can get a 10kg Cylinder for just $10 quarterly rental and $35 a fill with guaranteed "Food Grade" C02. With free-home swap as well, this seems the way to go.
reVox

As usual we are screwed up here in the Sunshine State :(
I just rang the Brisbane office & they are $41.50 a refill, $9.50 a month rental & $200 security deposit.

cheers Ross

Latest posts

Back