Co2 Cylinder Options

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all .....

Hi there peas and korn ...

i am looking at the CO2 cylinder thing right now .....i really like that CO2 cylinder that you have pictured ... what capacity is it ... can i ask where you got it from... (.....i am guessing that the one in the pic can't be the airup one as they are about $276 ... ) ..

i am looking for a smaller cylinder as i'm not a "heavy user" ..

i actually prefer the size of the airup ... but it seems very expensive for 2.3kg @ $276 cmpd to " My keg on legs" who sell 6.8kg @ $299 or 4.5kg @ $279)

any suggestions as to where to get a smaller cylinder ... can anyone tell me how much CO2 is in the biggest soda stream CO2 bottle ... on the sodastream website it gives their largest CO2 bottle as 100litres ... how much CO2 is that? ... is it 1kg of CO2?

thank you anybody for your assistance

what about a CO2 extinguisher aussietanker???

wow ... that was a quick reply ..

in regards to converting a F Extinguisher ... i've read about a thousand posts on this .... (so many in fact that it made my head spin) .... i would jump at it ... $300 for the CO2Cylinder + say $100 for the reg seems a lot of cash, and i guess thats why most of us probably think of getting a CO2 F Ext converted at some point ...

but it's difficult to find where to get them ... i spent an afternoon ringing around to welding shops + fire Equip places a few months ago and didn't have much luck ... some of the more recent posts here suggest that they are also getting more reluctant to do the refills ...

but if anyone can give me a pointer in the right direction i would be more than happy to follow thru with this route ... if it's not ok to give names and stuff on the forum just email me or pm me pls ..

and on this matter, just a couple of things that i don't understand ...

when they convert the F Extg do they take the pistol looking handle thing off the top of the cylinder ... and if they don't ... how do you actually screw on the regulator? ... i am not sure of the exact sizes of F Exting ( D@mn but that words hard to type when you have had a few!)

thanks all

Hi Guys,

I am currently renting a 10 kilo CO2 bottle from AirLiquid. I am sick of the rental etc and am looking to buy one of the kegs on legs or something similar. Is there anywhere in Adelaide that will fill a private CO2 botle as i have been told by Airliquid and BOC that they will not touch private bottles. Also i have an old BOC bottle that was a mates in QLD but has now given it to me. Is there anywhere that will fill that or should i not waste my time.

I am happy for people to PM me if they know someone that they dont want to broadcast freely.

cheers

Hi Guys,

I am currently renting a 10 kilo CO2 bottle from AirLiquid. I am sick of the rental etc and am looking to buy one of the kegs on legs or something similar. Is there anywhere in Adelaide that will fill a private CO2 botle as i have been told by Airliquid and BOC that they will not touch private bottles. Also i have an old BOC bottle that was a mates in QLD but has now given it to me. Is there anywhere that will fill that or should i not waste my time.

I am happy for people to PM me if they know someone that they dont want to broadcast freely.

cheers

I rented for 6 years now I have two fire extinguishers,great!
Someone here will fill them $20.00 and I save $$ on rental,I find no problem with the pistol handle thingy.
You need to remove the dip tube,that's easy.
There is a bloke on the coast here has extinguishers,will remove the tube and fill for you.

Batz

I'm with Linz and Batz on this one.
Linz even helped me track down a fire extinguisher and I am forever grateful.
Haven't had to refill it yet but don't think it would be too much of a problem getting a fill at one for the local extinguisher places.
If I hadn't of had the help from Linz I would probably have gone the way of the Kegs On Legs.

I'm with Linz and Batz on this one.
Linz even helped me track down a fire extinguisher and I am forever grateful.
Haven't had to refill it yet but don't think it would be too much of a problem getting a fill at one for the local extinguisher places.
If I hadn't of had the help from Linz I would probably have gone the way of the Kegs On Legs.

I totally agree with using a fire extinguisher

I have a 2.3kg airup and am happy with it, just means 1 out of 20 trips to MHB i have to take my co2 cylinder, no dramas :)

Industrial and food grade CO2 is the same. There are other links somewhere discussing this but I don't know where they are.

I just use the standard fire CO2 and it works a charm (I don't think I'm dead yet).
I guess that is industrial grade.

Industrial and food grade CO2 is the same. There are other links somewhere discussing this but I don't know where they are.

I just use the standard fire CO2 and it works a charm (I don't think I'm dead yet).
I guess that is industrial grade.

When you use the bottle before the tube is taken, out no use wasting a full bottle of gas, would it be smart to turn the bottle upside down as I don't recon the liquid co2 going through the regulator would do it a lot of good

SPS,

are you aware of anywhere in adelaide that convert the fire extinguishers?

and where do you get yours filled?

cheers

tbone

SPS,

are you aware of anywhere in adelaide that convert the fire extinguishers?

and where do you get yours filled?

cheers

tbone
Can't remember exactly but there is/was a place just off South Rd on the southern side of Anzac Highway. Near or around the Richmond area. I have a friend with a converted fire extingiusher and that was where he went. As far as I am aware they were the only lot in town that do it. I was investigating the idea but the only issue I had is that I would have to travel an hour to get there because they were the only ones who would refill it. Ended up getting a BOC cylinder.

Cheers BYB

Can't remember exactly but there is/was a place just off South Rd on the southern side of Anzac Highway. Near or around the Richmond area. I have a friend with a converted fire extingiusher and that was where he went. As far as I am aware they were the only lot in town that do it. I was investigating the idea but the only issue I had is that I would have to travel an hour to get there because they were the only ones who would refill it. Ended up getting a BOC cylinder.

Cheers BYB

thanks for that BYB, I will have to try check them out

I happened upon a 4.5kg co2 extinguisher from a garage sale on the weekend. It was full, had expired on its inspection schedule but is in very good shape (from what I can see).

I offered $10 and the guy was pumped. B)

Will it be OK? I dare not mess with it without help. If anyone knows of where to get these converted/ filled in Sydney i would happily recieve the PM.

Cheers
FHG

Almost but not quite...

When a tank of CO2 (like 20 tonnes) fails the food grade tests (basically as prescribed by Coca Cola) it passes as industrial grade and goes into welding gas and fire extinguishers.

Can have such nasties as Benzene in it - albiet in trace amounts.

So be careful.

RM

From what I've read, Coca cola (ironically), and most other soft drinks that are carbonated have been found to have traces of benzene in them anyway related to both the CO2 content and the process in which the plastic is heated to form the bottles causing the plastic to leach benzene into the drink. Not to mention that Autogas contains benzene, and the exhaust gas from vehicles using it contains reasonably high levels of benzene and all it's other carcinogenic little friends.
So if you drink soft drink, or drive, you're probably already getting a decent dose of it - so I wouldn't worry about it too much. (And if you smoke....well......you're CO2 is the least of your worries...)
From what I understand of the CO2 production process at Mt Gambier, the only difference between food grade and industrial grade CO2 is a further drying process used for the food grade gas, that explanation came from a guy who has been working for BOC gases for the last couple of decades (not that that makes the information 100% reliable, but I'm happy enough with it)

tbone, the name of the place is Adelaide Fire Control, 501-503 South Rd. Ashford 83714833.

I paid $140 a couple of years ago with dip tube removed for 5 kg bottle.

For those looking to re-fill CO2 extinguishers I may be able to help out. Will post back when I speak to a friend.

C&B
TDA

For those in Adelaide I can get the 5kg CO2 extinguishers filled legally for $30.00.

PM me if you are interested.

C&B
TDA

be it reliable or not but im told that the main difference between food grade co2 and industrial co2 is the fact that the bottles are cleaned before filling for the food grade type with what i dont know , but i have been told this also for oxygen for breathing as opposed to industrial use...

cheers...

I bought my 5kg CO2 bottle from 'Eversafe' in Maddington. $150 with 5 years to next test, a new BOC valve, and full of gas. I picked up the bracket for $40 cash from the same guys.

DSCF2767.JPG

Latest posts

Back