Co2 Cylinder Options

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spoke to a rep (Sofie) at Supagas who said I can get a 10kg Cylinder for just $10 quarterly rental and $35 a fill with guaranteed "Food Grade" C02. With free-home swap as well, this seems the way to go.

I dealt with the same rep and got the same price quoted to me, but when I rang up one of their gas centres the cost was actually $10 per month. I emailed Sofie and got this as a response:

"Hi Berwyck,
I think I may have confused yourself or myself I really cant remember sorry however the rental is actually $9.00 per month which has gone up since the last time we spoke. The rental is now $10.00 per month $30.00 per quarter
Regards
Sofie"

Sooooo.....back to looking for another solution for me!
- Berwyck

I dealt with the same rep and got the same price quoted to me, but when I rang up one of their gas centres the cost was actually $10 per month. I emailed Sofie and got this as a response:

"Hi Berwyck,
I think I may have confused yourself or myself I really cant remember sorry however the rental is actually $9.00 per month which has gone up since the last time we spoke. The rental is now $10.00 per month $30.00 per quarter
Regards
Sofie"

Sooooo.....back to looking for another solution for me!
- Berwyck

ewww. bugga. that means i'm also looking for another solution. would prefer to own a cylinder and simply pay $40ish a fill.

bugga on sofie. she's obviously out of the loop. was quoted those rates on May 23rd of this year, fwiw.

anyway, if anyone can help a few melbourne boys, we'd appreciate it!

cheers Ross on the followup, as well :)

I might investigae the mykegs on legs, at G&G....dont see the point of paying 120 bucks a year rental. Anyone know what prices they charge?

Just a thought looking at the neck of my cylinder, what would be the problem with changing the valve on a scuba tank? They are generally hydro tested, ie filled with water and compressed, so the fact that the co2 is liquid shouldnt be a problem. From memory they are rated to about 300 Bar.

Just a thought looking at the neck of my cylinder, what would be the problem with changing the valve on a scuba tank? They are generally hydro tested, ie filled with water and compressed, so the fact that the co2 is liquid shouldnt be a problem. From memory they are rated to about 300 Bar.

I'd be interested in knowing this as well, as I have a 88cu/ft alloy tank that's been sitting around unused for the last 8 to 10 years. Would be nice to put it to some good use.

I might investigae the mykegs on legs, at G&G....dont see the point of paying 120 bucks a year rental. Anyone know what prices they charge?
Emailed G&G and they quoted me $295 + $47 for a fill on a 6.8kg cylinder. I will be over there this weekend to pick one up. I just got my invoice from Air Liquide, $129 less 25% if I pay by the invoice date. I got the invoice 8 days after that date.

I recently traded back my Airliquide bottle and bought a mykegsonlegs bottle. AL was just plain charging TOO MUCH for a domestic application. Whatever happens down the track, I own the mkol bottle, so I'll always be able to get CO2.

I recently traded back my Airliquide bottle and bought a mykegsonlegs bottle. AL was just plain charging TOO MUCH for a domestic application. Whatever happens down the track, I own the mkol bottle, so I'll always be able to get CO2.

I did the same thing but mine was with boc.
Now with the MKOL and could not be happier.

FROGMAN

well, it seems many have been down this road before and there's no clear cut go here, do this cheap winner. sure i could source an extinguisher, local or overseas cylinder, find a willing outfit to test and fill it, etc. etc.

all of this takes time and cuts into what i enjoy doing most: brewing.

i believe i've hit my cost to dicking around threshold and seems i'll bow to the mykegsonlegs solution, happily.

the deal breaker for me is that i'll own the cylinder, irregardless of cost (meaning if i pay $8 bux for it tomorrow, it will likely be worth $8 next year as can resell if something more attractive falls on my lap). Also, my being able to have it cheerfully refilled at several outlets in VIC (although, I'll likely support G&G) is added value.

if i woke up tomorrow to find an extinguisher with drop valve removed lying flat on my doormat, i'd certainly use it. but the way things stand, i'm on mkol.

thanks doods for the 2c here and there and everywhere,
reVox

I think I will end up going the mkol route too, I have wasted too much time dicking around looking for a cheap option when I should have just taken the plunge. I could have been drinking my first keg beer by now :eek:

Just sorted a fridge out, so now I have no excuse :super:
- Berwyck

I think I will end up going the mkol route too, I have wasted too much time dicking around looking for a cheap option when I should have just taken the plunge. I could have been drinking my first keg beer by now :eek:

Just sorted a fridge out, so now I have no excuse :super:
- Berwyck

Yeah, I hear you man. I scored my fridge for free so at least it helps in offsetting some cost in putting this all together.

reVox

G'Day All

I've got a slightly odd question.
I have an old AL bottle that came to me before I knew anything about rental agreements etc. Sadly it's now empty.
What would be wrong with say going to a BOC and getting a 4.5kg bottle and a 1 month lease... then 'somehow' (and this is my question) transferring the gas from that bottle to my own...?
Return the original to the vendor, bobs yer uncle, janes yer aunt etc

Is that crazy? Would it even work? I know nothing about dispensing gas.

Cylinder would be capable of coping with the pressure - you would need to get a new valve with a burting disc - but I think you might have an issue getting someone to fill it for you.

RM

Does anyone know if there would be a problem getting a new cylinder bought from the US refilled here? Do they need to be stamped with an Australian Standard compliance number or anything? Would I need to get it re-tested here even though it's brand new? Does the colour cause any dramas? It would be a purpose CO2 intended cylinder, but I believe it's unpainted aluminium.

Does anyone know if there would be a problem getting a new cylinder bought from the US refilled here? Do they need to be stamped with an Australian Standard compliance number or anything? Would I need to get it re-tested here even though it's brand new? Does the colour cause any dramas? It would be a purpose CO2 intended cylinder, but I believe it's unpainted aluminium.

The threads are different and that may cause some problems.

The threads are different and that may cause some problems.

Does this go for regulators too, or is it just on the neck of the cylinder itself that the thread would be different?

Does this go for regulators too, or is it just on the neck of the cylinder itself that the thread would be different?

Yep.

I got my first load of kegs and gear from the US and it came with a cylinder and reg, I had a look around and couldnt get the cylinder filled or tested. Ended up seeing them on ebay and someone still bought it even though I posted it as an american cylinder and reg.

My cylinder in the US and my cylinder that I got from BOC here in SA are nearly identical. I think they may even have been made by the same manufacturer. I don't know of too many places around here that will refill customer bottles of gases like that. I know that in the US I could take my cylinder down to Industrial Welding Supply and have it re-filled for under 20$USD. As far as price and such goes, I don't see the benefit quite yet of owning my own cylinders as of yet. But I suppose that if you already have it, why not use it right?

Cheers,
Will

Latest posts

Back