Co2 Cartriges & Fridge Thermostat Where To Get Em?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Temple of Seth

Reaction score
Hey All,

First off, hello to everyone again & sorry to be a stranger. Guess I haven't had a word with some of ya since GMK came to Oxford 132 back last year. Hope it's flowing clean for all of yous.

Got a question:

I just picked up one of these 'genuine innovations' bicycle pump keg chargers that takes between an 8 and 32 g CO2 cartridge for dispensing. I'm using it on an 11L keg I picked up on ebay. What I'm wondering is - where's a good place to get the cartriges? My bike shop sells them for $6 per 16g but my spider sense tells me I'm getting skinned. I'm in Brisbane, so local advice is really useful. However I'm willing to get them in the mail to - which leads me to a related question:

what are the laws re: shipping pressurized containers in QLD and in the rest of Oz?

Also:

I'm working on a long term plan to turn 2 extra refrigerators in to a termperature-controlled fermentation environment and a keg dispenser. My local homebrew shop owner quotes me a price on thermostats that makes the little dudes shrivel up like sultanas. What are the options? Am I doomed to paying $500-$1K in order to get a thermostat? I'm working on the assumption that importation from the US wouldn't work because of the different power standard. Am I correct here?

Thanks in advance for the input & again I hope you're all sitting pretty with cold ones.

Cheers,

ToS

Hey ToS

Just give some of the LHBS a quick ring, I think I have seen some at Quality Homebrew Supplies but they are in Underwood so a bit out of the way for you. A quick search at Grain and Grape gave,

CO2 Cartriges, box of 12 to suit injector assembly $19.95

As for the thermostats just do a quick search of the site, you should be able to knock one up for about $60.

Edit - Link

dreamboat does the temp controlers in a bulk buys and is doing one at the moment for about $90

I got the little co2 bulbs from DJ's for $6.50 a pack of 8-10

As for the tobins temp controller, I build mine for around $60 complete(bits bought from Turks)

An electrician friend of mine says try airconditioning mobs or get one of a second hand air con.
Any input on this.?
PJ

You can get a Ranco Replacement Thermostat Beverage Cooler VB7 sold by Oz Spares for about $20-$30. From memory gives you from about 0-30 degrees control. Mine works a treat though the probe is only about 60cm long. In nearly all cases this should be OK though. Cheers PP.

PistolPatch said:
You can get a Ranco Replacement Thermostat Beverage Cooler VB7 sold by Oz Spares for about $20-$30. From memory gives you from about 0-30 degrees control. Mine works a treat though the probe is only about 60cm long. In nearly all cases this should be OK though. Cheers PP.
[post="106049"][/post]​

Is there a site where u can buy that online PP? Ive looked but i cant find that model

Aha...

Jye, I understand that this implies that there's no legal restriction on shipping pressurized containers between states (or at least no enforced prohibition). Do you know if it's above board to import them from abroad?

Linz, does DJ's mean David Jones?

I wouldn't call myself a sparky necessarily, but I know Ohm's law. Remoting the ballast on my HPS was easy back at Uni, I suppose a thermostat couldn't be too bad (hope it's DC).

Have a look here Finite...

http://appliancespares.com.au/

Might be easiest to give them a ring. I managed to get mine through my home brew shop. Installation may or may not be easy depending on your fridge/freezer. There is a bulk buy here on controllers that I've seen. It is more expensive but maybe it's easier to install??? Cheers mate!

Latest posts

Back