Co2 Bottle Assistance

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnw

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether it is better to buy a gas bottle outright or buy one that is part of a 'swap and go' scenario. both options are the same price and same for refills.

Thanks in advance for your guidance!

DrinkBeer

Main difference i see is that if you buy outright, you get a nice shiney new bottle to keep. Where as if you swap and go, you'll get whatever is in stock. Bottle condition will be fine/safe, just may some scratches etc from use.

Cheers SJ

Swapping, you always get an in test date cylinder. Never have to pay for a test. Can't remember 5 yearly or 10 yearly.

Screwy

swapping, you can get instantly a full one, dont need to wait.

having your own bottle, you must wait to get it filled.

just from my point of view :icon_cheers:

Ahh the ol' some thing for nothing scenario. If you use it, you will eventually pay for it!! :beer:

To the best of my knowledge the Swap n' Go 9kg bottles only contain 8.5kgs of gas.

If both options are the same price and the same for refills then get swap-n-go. The benefit of buying outright is usually you save on rental costs in the long run, if thats the case then don't bother - but if that is the case then either your rental is very cheap or your outright purchase is very expensive.

This is very relevant to me. I'm planning on biying a MKOL bottle this weekend. Any reason I shouldn't?

I recently purchased a MKOL bottle, got a brand new one in the box, but was informed this isn't generally the case when swapping later on.

IMHO, go the swapping option, never need to worry about testing or suddenly being out of date.

Is the gas LPG or CO2??

Regards

Graeme

Is the gas LPG or CO2??

Regards

Graeme

That's what I am wondering. Swap and Go usually relates to LPG and you have to own the bottle in the first place, unless it's a rental - correct me if I'm wrong.

I bought a MKOL C02 bottle outright and I own it free and clear, no rental fees jacking up the price, and I can sell it for what I paid for it anytime. I can take it to my local HBS and swap it or I can wait and he will refill it. I wait cause I know that the bottle I am getting back has been looked after. If you can afford the $300 ? then buy it.

Cheers, Hoges.

That's what I am wondering. Swap and Go usually relates to LPG and you have to own the bottle in the first place, unless it's a rental - correct me if I'm wrong.

I bought a MKOL C02 bottle outright and I own it free and clear, no rental fees jacking up the price, and I can sell it for what I paid for it anytime. I can take it to my local HBS and swap it or I can wait and he will refill it. I wait cause I know that the bottle I am getting back has been looked after. If you can afford the $300 ? then buy it.

Cheers, Hoges.

Look up ......... :rolleyes:

The thread title says it all 'Co2 Bottle Assistance, Buy or swap and go'

Of course you can swap and go with CO2 - How does BOC etc work ?

My option was Mykegonlegs. Without looking at figures (which throw people into renting). I will pay off the bottle in three years worth of renting. Im already 16 months into it and only swapped my 1st bottle this week. 35 batches later, force carbed, dispensed, purged kegs, dried lines, cleaning kegs. Thats $1.40 per batch for gas($50 refill), one thing to note is im not holding back when using it either! Ive vented so many kegs when testing and refilling at ambient etc i cannot count the waste % of gas.

You make the decision. If it where me, i'd hold out to buy, it so worth it in the long run if you are in it for keeps.

I'm with Fourstar,
bought my 6 kg bottle March 08 locally for $285 filled. Has been filled twice. There is no swap, refill (on the spot) cost me $25!
If you can afford to buy one, buy!
Try to find a local gas supplier, mine services a lot of pubs and clubs in my area. It's not BOC or one of the other big ones, but in the local business for the last 8 years, cheap and reliable.
c1b

Look up ......... :rolleyes:

The thread title says it all 'Co2 Bottle Assistance, Buy or swap and go'

Of course you can swap and go with CO2 - How does BOC etc work ?

Would not be the first time that the title of a thread was completely askew from the body of the post.

Don't rent the bottle, buy the bottle. You'll be way in front down the line.

Cheers, Hoges.

BOC have, or will be soon, changing to rental only. You won't be able to get a privately owned bottle filled at BOC. Not sure about private depots, but BOC are intent on going down the rental path.

buy a MKOL. You pay for it in 2 and a bit years rental, plus most MKOL outlets do swaps anyway. Difference being ~$120/yr rental (I think it was $112 when I Was renting from BOC a couple years ago - and it was going up every year). You gotta get it tested after 10 years if you keep getting the same cylinder filled, which costs all of about $20 or $30, then every 5 years after that. By the time you're at the point you've well paid for your stuff.

If you don't plan on keeping it 3 years to pay for itself, then forget kegs and keep bottling ;)

My two cents... and it might save you a lot more!

Go to where you are going to get your bottle filled - ask - will you fill my bottle? Which ones will you fill and will you do it while I wait? Many suppliers get funny about filling a bottle branded different to theirs. There is (most of the time) no logical reason for this. It's a bottle, it's in test - fill it... please.

I have one guy who gives you a 'loaner' over night while he fills yours - you get your bottle back - fast, cheap and local.

Also - and someone please correct me if I'm wrong... if you take your bottle in cold (as you can) you'll end up with more gas.

Finally - if you are driving 30 mins to get your fill it might be cheaper to swap and go at your local LHBS ;)

Hope this answers your Q

John.

Back