Cm2 First Solo Ag

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettprevans

HB so good, it will raise the dead
Reaction score
so the time has come to move to the dark side.... the rig is ready, the ingredients are ready and the brewer is ready. Let's get ready to rumble.

Saturday will see my first solo AG brew and the commissioning of the new rig. pics will be taken and posted.

recipe will be a double batch of the following (im even using promash for the first time). The Promash figures will be a bit funky as ive no idea what numbers the rig will do yet. so we will see......

Its inspired by Chappo's Rice lager.

Aussie Gold Digger Lager - Aussie style lager

Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (L): 21.00
Total Grain (kg): 5.85
Anticipated OG: 1.069
Anticipated SRM: 6.5
Anticipated IBU: 28.2
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
34.2 2.00 kg. Pale Ale Malt (2-row) Australia 1.037 2
34.2 2.00 kg. Pilsner Australia 1.037 1
17.1 1.00 kg. Rice Solids Generic 1.040 0
5.1 0.30 kg. Munich Malt(light) America 1.033 10
5.1 0.30 kg. Wheat Malt America 1.038 2
4.3 0.25 kg. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
15.00 g. Nugget Whole 9.80 19.1 60 min.
10.00 g. Nugget Whole 9.80 3.4 15 min.
20.00 g. Pride of Ringwood Pellet 10.00 5.7 10 min.
20.00 g. Pride of Ringwood Pellet 10.00 0.0 0 min.
10.00 g. Nugget Whole 9.80 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
fermentis 34/70 german lager or recultered coopers

Mash Schedule
Protein Rest Temp : 50 Time: 20
Intermediate Rest Temp : 63 Time: 60
Saccharification Rest Temp : 72 Time: 10
Mash-out Rest Temp : 78 Time: 0

I think Maple is dropping over to watch some of the day's disasters. should be mashing in at 11:30am

Good luck.
Our first AG had its fair share of disasters, but the product was beautiful, and the sense of achievement was great.
Will await pics.

Marlow

great stuff!! Best of luck for the day, and may all your mistakes be minor/correctable!!!!

Cheers SJ

(Silly question, but have you a (dry?) run on your system with water? just to make sure you have no leaks etc, esp at high temps?)

Looks great CM2!

A little advice form the Master Of Disaster, do a wet run down before the day if you haven't already done so. Fill everything up, drop from vessel to vessel, boil etc and get those timings and evaporation rates. Will also give you some comfort that the rig is good and sound and no leaks etc. That way you can concentrate on the day rather than the gear.

Cheers

Chappo :icon_cheers:

Snap! SJ beat me again gotta stop doing this

Good stuff Brett. Have fun, I certainly did when I did my first a few weeks back!

didnt actually think of doing a 'wet run'. good idea though. I was going to check for leaks etc but a wet run is an even better idea. give me a chance to play with the march pump as well. i hear they can be 'fun' to prime.

well i have a good supply of beer to drown my sorry if its a complete balls up. should be fun!

You will be waking up at the crack of dawn! You will find it easy!

Now dont have your first drink until the first hop addition.. I failed that rule!

yeah im sure Maple and I failed that rule with the batch we made. although we did do a double brew session that day. so liquid refreshment was a necessity!

actually im not nervous. doin a double session with Maple got me ready even if i did mainly watch him do the hard work.

edit: re hop additions. I'll do what i did last time. all hop additons go into containers that have the time marked (60, 30, 15 etc) so i dont have to remember what hop addition is what and when.

yeah im sure Maple and I failed that rule with the batch we made. although we did do a double brew session that day. so liquid refreshment was a necessity!

actually im not nervous. doin a double session with Maple got me ready even if i did mainly watch him do the hard work.

edit: re hop additions. I'll do what i did last time. all hop additons go into containers that have the time marked (60, 30, 15 etc) so i dont have to remember what hop addition is what and when.

Thats what I do with the hops... dont forget to write everything down!

Nice one Brett - hopefully those ball valves you got off me aren't too dodgy - highly recommend the wet run first - better to be pissing water out of your plumbing than wort.

Given you have 2kg of pils in there mate, you might want to consider a 90min boil to drive off DMS pre-cursors... ProMash will up your pre-boil amount to compensate for the additional boil-off.

Good luck mate - I look forward to checking out the piccies - and I am sure it will all go fine.

Cheers,

Brendo

hmm have to update that. yeah was going a 90min boil b/c of pils.

cheers for the ball valves. im sure they will be fine. ive got a heap of heat rated plumbers tape for all the fittings. all going on tonight. so l should get a 'wet run' in tomorrow night.

CM2,
You will also find that once the heat is in the system leaks may suddenly appear that weren't there before so run everything like a brew day if at all possible. Sully and I one evening before a brew day made a few tweaks to his HERMS and mash tun and we didn't get the time to wet run it. MISTAKE!!! Stuck sparges leaking taps you name we stuffed it. Let's just say I still rule supreme as the Master Of Disaster! :ph34r:

Cheers

Chappo

lol. cheers for the advice. will do a proper wet run with temp if possible. be good to work out deadspaces etc as you said.

i really cbf working and just want to brew. dont want wait until saturday.

Given you have 2kg of pils in there mate, you might want to consider a 90min boil to drive off DMS pre-cursors... ProMash

gotta disagree with you brendo. CM2 is using Aussie pils which is well modified & doesn't have much if any pre-cursor compared to US grain. If he was using a US or euro pils, some folk would would argue for the 90 min boil, but in my experience with both aussie & weyyerman pils, no one has detected any DMS in the resulting beer after a 60 min rolling boil.

good luck with it CM2. It'll be a top beer for sure. Interesting that you're using POR for flavour & aroma.

CM2,
You will also find that once the heat is in the system leaks may suddenly appear that weren't there before so run everything like a brew day if at all possible. Sully and I one evening before a brew day made a few tweaks to his HERMS and mash tun and we didn't get the time to wet run it. MISTAKE!!! Stuck sparges leaking taps you name we stuffed it. Let's just say I still rule supreme as the Master Of Disaster! :ph34r:

Cheers

Chappo

+1 it would pay to do a run at 75 degrees or so (assuming mash out/sparge temps) as things definitely have a funny habit of expanding when exposed to heat.

Top advice Chappo...

Brendo

gotta disagree with you brendo. CM2 is using Aussie pils which is well modified & doesn't have much if any pre-cursor compared to US grain. If he was using a US or euro pils, some folk would would argue for the 90 min boil, but in my experience with both aussie & weyyerman pils, no one has detected any DMS in the resulting beer after a 60 min rolling boil.

interesting... might have to put that one to the test... thanks for that crozdog!!!

Good luck CM2, surely things can't go that wrong :p .
I know you said you are doing a double, but there is only 5kg of grain (Total Grain (kg): 5.85)
, so are you going to do a single batch and then another batch?

Interesting that you're using POR for flavour & aroma.
i know its customary just to have single POR addition for 'aussie' flavoured beers. but i wanted it to be prominate. maybe im over working the hop additions and should drop one of the POR additions and move the other back to a 15min addition.

I know you said you are doing a double, but there is only 5kg of grain (Total Grain (kg): 5.85)
, so are you going to do a single batch and then another batch?
im doubling the recipe. I'll have to modify it to reflect the double batch so the water amounts are correct etc. i just did a single batch size in promash for the ease of it.

Back