Club recipe book

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimT

Reaction score
I've been tossing this idea around in one form or another for a while now.

What do people think about a club brew recipe book? We could work towards a version of it being put together at the end of the year, December. Including recipes from members, odds and sods about brewing tips and tricks, whatever we feel like, basically.

It might be a good way of commemorating peculiar/remarkable recipes, especially stuff that comes out of comps.

If you're thinking of something for publication, we might be obliged to donate any profits to a good cause or something (which I'm definitely not against - although I can be picky about the causes).

I assume "good causes" includes the end-of-year Merri Mashers piss up?

Fair points, though some types of publication are more official (and make more money) than others. I make zines and write on my blog a fair bit, and, well, let's just say they've never paid the rent. But by the same token you can make a pretty good product without too much trouble or expense.

Great idea TimT,
Having a hard copy of recipes would be v handy, plus a few tips thrown in.
In particular, the recipes from the tasting sessions (possibly with some of the general feedback) and maybe extra recipes from anyone who has special crackers for which they've received lots of praise. Could also use any of the recipes from various case swaps.

Having a few pages of tips or guidelines, etc would also be great, esp for new brewers. One set of guidelines that spring to mind is a summarised version of the recent thread started by DucatiboyStu, Designing a recipe, with some great input from him, manticle & others. I know he's not a member obviously, but i'm guessing we could get his & other's permission to use his words, or just paraphrase those in the thread. But the general discussion there & in many, many other threads provides great (simplified) info. It'd be great to have it a readily accessible summary rather than needing to search & dredge threads. Also add a page to the Club section on AHB with an electronic version?

Can't see us making any profits - just charge to cover costs; esp given its the members who contributed to it that will be buying it.

Oh yes, AHB is a great wealth of all sorts of information and a brilliant resource for projects of this sort.

I'm sure we could fit a lot in there. Given that I'd be working towards putting it together at the end of the year it could definitely be based around brewing for the seasons or the different months. And a lot of stuff from club members/knowledgeable randoms could be worked in there.

Would it be worthwhile bringing some of your previous zines to show us, to give us an idea of the potential options we can explore with this publication?
How frequently do you think we can/should pump it out? I'm guessing it's maybe better to aim small and go for high quality & low quantity - so 1 to 4 per year? I'd probably go for bi-annual or seasonal.
Again, great idea!

Kevin Hawley said:
If you're thinking of something for publication, we might be obliged to donate any profits to a good cause or something (which I'm definitely not against - although I can be picky about the causes).
I have had a quick look into bank accounts for clubs and the view of the ATO on clubs such as ourselves and associated obligations. Will let you know when I have a concrete answer

Good idea. I would aim for an annual publication as then we should be assured of a decent amount of content. Otherwise it may end up being more of a recipe magazine than a recipe book.

Also it needs pictures, lots of fancy pictures.

Pictures, you say?

I usually get my wife to do them. Or I do them myself....

This+is+a+beer.jpg

Or I use good old google image search, a great resource! But there are lots of options, no need to get bogged down in details straight away.

Make a 2015 calendar - 12 best club recipes, important brewing events and club meeting dates marked on it for the following year.

Recipes might line up with specific club style comps?

Basically I'll have a look around on my shelves, bring in a zine or two of my own and some stuff from others; when it comes to self-publishing you really have a lot of options, from a bung-it-together in a day-or-so zine, to a professional-looking cookbook that you get printed for an affordable cost. I'm definitely not thinking anymore than something at the end of the year - I think that's more doable than once every few months.

I like the idea of a calendar too!

But before getting (way) ahead of ourselves, we really need to incorporate and get a logo happening. For some reason I consider the logo as being very important. It is our window to the wider world.

Forever Wort, I put this together a little while back, it needs some work still.... and I know some people weren't too happy with the mash paddle idea. But I agree, it's something we need to do soon.

MMHBC.jpg

The logo is definitely something we need hammered out and deserves a thread on its own. Possible submissions from the club then a voting on which is best? I know a few members are graphic designs or have such affiliations/interests so I'd be interested to see what could be produced.

brouhaha, logo looks great, personally I'd maybe want a splash more colour but I know it's work in progress. The paddle is a great idea, maybe one that's solid rather than the segmented one. Again it needs its own thread! :)

BreadMurderer said:
The logo is definitely something we need hammered out and deserves a thread on its own. Possible submissions from the club then a voting on which is best? I know a few members are graphic designs or have such affiliations/interests so I'd be interested to see what could be produced.

brouhaha, logo looks great, personally I'd maybe want a splash more colour but I know it's work in progress. The paddle is a great idea, maybe one that's solid rather than the segmented one. Again it needs its own thread! :)
New thread sorted!
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/79413-club-brand-logo-motto/

Latest posts

Back