Cloudy And Bitter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nui

Reaction score
Howdy,

Brewed a 3kg Xtract Pilsner (from the Country Brewer) kit last Saturday (29th April). Checked on it yesterday and SG reading has dropped down to almost bottling reading.

When I filled up my reading tube, the wort coming out the tap was SUPER cloudy, like it has been mixed with milk. It cleared up slightly after a second reading was run through, but not as much as I hoped. It also had a really strong bitter taste to it.

Can anyone suggest anything? I'm just hoping its not an infection.
Has anyone used this kit before?

Thanks in advance for your help.

:unsure:

Matt

The SUPER cloudy bit could just be from the yeast cake, drain off about a pint first, it will clear up after that.
Also did you do it with a ale or lager yeast, and at what temperature, how long for.
Don't panic yet, bottle or keg and taste later when ready

Normell

Get some tube and transfer(rack ) it to another fermenter or cube and let it settle for a week or so @ cooler temps.

a young(green) beer will always be cloudy and taste more bitter as its prolly warmish compared to a conditioned (6 weeks) and cooled beer.

Thanks for the super fast replies!

I used a safale yeast, pitched at 20deg. ( I didn't make a starter yeast, I just sprinkled it straight on :unsure: )
Temp has been around the 18deg mark. Been in since last Saturday.

I'll have to get another container to rack to, as my other fermentor is in use :D

Do I need to add any finnings? There is a thick cakey layer on top too, approx 1-2cm, so I would just drain to just below that obviously?

Another thing I remembered, the pack said to top to 20L of water, but I added up to 23L.

Is this going to cause problems?

Nui said:
Thanks for the super fast replies!

I used a safale yeast, pitched at 20deg. ( I didn't make a starter yeast, I just sprinkled it straight on :unsure: )
Temp has been around the 18deg mark. Been in since last Saturday.

I'll have to get another container to rack to, as my other fermentor is in use :D

Do I need to add any finnings? There is a thick cakey layer on top too, approx 1-2cm, so I would just drain to just below that obviously?

Another thing I remembered, the pack said to top to 20L of water, but I added up to 23L.

Is this going to cause problems?
[post="124927"][/post]​
Just get a 20Lt water container (cube) from Bunnies to rack to, they hold about 22Lt.

Normell
Making your brew up to 23Lt, will only lower the Alc% a bit, thats all

If its safale So4 or US 56, don't sweat it.

You could leave it 4 another 7 days in primary and let it settle(floc out) @ cooler temps on the yeast cake. racking with ale strains is something some people do(me mostly) but not necessary.I just asumed that a pilsener would be a lager(strain) yeast.

23/20 litres will just mean its thinner/weaker on alch.

Brauluver said:

You could leave it 4 another 7 days in primary and let it settle(floc out) @ cooler temps on the yeast cake. racking with ale strains is something some people do(me mostly) but not necessary.I just asumed that a pilsener would be a lager(strain) yeast.

@3/20 ltres will just mean its thinner/weaker on alch.
[post="124931"][/post]​
In the words of Maxwell Smart, "Missed by that much" :blink:

Normell

normell said:
Brauluver said:

@3/20 ltres will just mean its thinner/weaker on alch.
[post="124931"][/post]​
In the words of Maxwell Smart, "Missed by that much" :blink:

Normell
[post="124932"][/post]​

At least we are both thinkin in the same direction :party:

Actually, now thinking, maybe it was a lager yeast (Saflager)... :s

Will confirm tomorrow.

I did 2 brews that day, one was a American Pale Ale wetpak which I definately used the safale, and the one in question I will need to check my log.

S23 or 34/70 maybe.either way another 7 days in primary @ lowre temps won't hurt(12/14 ish)

Nui said:
Actually, now thinking, maybe it was a lager yeast (Saflager)... :s

Will confirm tomorrow.

I did 2 brews that day, one was a American Pale Ale wetpak which I definately used the safale, and the one in question I will need to check my log.
[post="124937"][/post]​
If it was a saflager yeast, better to keep the fermentation lower <16*C
And what type of log did you put in, oak I hope :blink: :p

Normell

Brauluver said:
S23 or 34/70 maybe.either way another 7 days in primary @ lowre temps won't hurt(12/14 ish)
[post="124939"][/post]​
Hey Brauluver, are you using my keyboard or summin :p

normell said:
Brauluver said:
[post="124939"][/post]​
Hey Brauluver, are you using my keyboard or summin :p
[post="124941"][/post]​

Parallell posting is so spooky ,Maybe we are channeling the same brew GOD.

NAH ,I'm an atheist ,so that makes me a charlatan(in a spiritual sense).

Hope this banter is helpin you Nui

It sure is Brauluver :D

P.S. I brewed in an old mossy, slimey pine log.

:p

Will confirm yeast used tonight.

Do bunnings sell the taps to suit their 20L cubes ?

Back