Clearing Beer !

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STOUTMAN

Reaction score
hi people ive jus racked my beer to the secondary fermenter and its been at 2 degrees for 5 days but the beer hasnt cleared that much does it need longer :huh:

STOUTMAN said:
hi people ive jus racked my beer to the secondary fermenter and its been at 2 degrees for 5 days but the beer hasnt cleared that much does it need longer :huh:
[post="105661"][/post]​

Some beers dont clear at all.
Some beers take a long time to clear while others clear quickly.
This will depend on many factors including the type of yeast used, the ingredients, your brewing methods, how long has it been under primary fermentation.
If primary fermentation was complete when you racked it to the secondary then I would bottle and let it clear in the bottle.
If primary fermentation was not complete then you may have "bottle Bombs"

Cheers

its a coopers candian blonde kit and kilo cooper s dextrose it fermented in the primary for 7 days and has been in the secondary for 5 days at 2 degrees i checked it with the test tube and its cleared but only a bit and it for a keg

STOUTMAN said:
[post="105661"][/post]​

As Dicko says - it depends on the type of beer and how it was produced.

A bit more info would be handy next time.
Try posting the brew type (kit/extract/partial/all grain), yeast type (kit/brand/number/type-ale/lager), how it was fermented (temp/time) and bottling or kegging. Also what are you trying to achieve by leaving it at 2degC for 5 days?

Not knowing any of this I'd guess it's a kit ? (correct me if I'm wrong) and it's most likely suspended yeast.

Most kits done with the supplied yeast usually clear fairly well if left at normal fermentation temps for a wk or so but sometimes they just won't clear no matter what.
If it doesn't improve in a few days you can add some finings a day or 2 before bottling/kegging and see if it clears up then.

If you've used a different yeast to the kit, look up the specs and check it's flocculation. If it's low, you're pretty much stuck with it unless you're prepared for a few weeks wait or own a filter.

It also depends on what you're trying to achieve - cold conditioning (ales) or lagering (lagers).
I usually cold condition in bottles after it's all done and lager in plastic cubes before bottling. The process is quite different. :chug:

Sorry Stoutman - I got called away before hitting the add reply button.

Good to hear it's startying to clear a bit but it wouldn't hurt to leave at primary fermentation temps for a week or 2 (in secondary) before CCing next time. Will do more good than harm.

its a candian blonde kit from coopers with 1 kg of dextrose fermented at 22 degrees for 7 days and in the secondary fermenter for 5 days on 2 degrees its a kits kilo recipe with the kit yeast and i will be kegging the candian blonde

so ferment in primary rack to secondary leave at the same temp as primary for 1 or 2 weeks then cold condition for how long ????

just drink the beer cloudy... and dream of Coopers Pale Ale mmmmm :)

yer i know sound like a lot of stuffing around i thought a coffee filters would clear it but it jus falls apart

Maybe bite the bullet and add some finings to your secondary fermenter... it worked for me when I had a problem like that.

I mix a tea spoon of gelatine in a cup of boiling water. Let it cool, then gently mix it into the fermenter.

started post before sluggers reply...

Great link there

Relax Stoutman , it will clear just give a time

DWRAHAHB

Batz

STOUTMAN said:
so ferment in primary rack to secondary leave at the same temp as primary for 1 or 2 weeks then cold condition for how long ????
[post="105692"][/post]​

It usually takes a few wks (3 or 4) to get any great benefit from CCing apart from dropping the yeast.

If you cant wait that long, stick it in the keg and put it in the fridge. By the time you reach the bottom it will be just about right.

Some styles benefit from CCing more than others. I've never tried a Coopers Blond kit but I reckon CCing would be beneficial for clarity and crispness.
For maltier type beers I don't CC at all but pale ales usually get a couple of weeks.

Experiment and report back - might help somebody else next time.

Back