Cleaning

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing wrong with dishwashing detergent. It will help to remove the non-polar residues (hop oils etc). Just make sure it is well rinsed off afterwards.

I will clean with a chux, (a SMALL amount of) detergent and hot water after I've rinsed out all that will shift by just hot water alone. That gets rinsed out and I fill above the tap line with hot water and perc; shake, leave it for a bit, invert, shake, leave again, run thru tap, rinse out. I would only break apart the taps every three or so ferments, unless I can see discolouration or residue in which case it gets cleaned regardless.

I store mine with a splash of starsan in them (shake and run a bit thru the tap). I don't really trust that leaving it somewhere to dry for a few days won't introduce some sort of bug or wild yeast blowing in. They are usually only stored for a few weeks at most between uses, so I just can't see the benefit in drying them.

Occasionally the fermenters and related bits get a bleach and then full perc soak for good measure. Keeps everything all shiny like.

Back