cleaning with laundry powder

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The main thing that matters is pH. I keep a 500 mL bottle at all times but I go through it fairly quickly so I have not worried about pH testing. Should last a good length of time.

This is what makes it so easy and economical.

Starsan, whilst useful for home brewers, is principally manufactured as a restaurant / food premises sanitiser, and is designed to be sprayed in most cases. Awesome on Stainless steel surfaces as it also keeps them "passivated" i.e. sealed with a layer of Chromium Dioxide, which is how SS actually works.

Airgead said:
You'll have to forgive my slowness...being an iodophor user up until recently I'm not used to the concept of a sanitiser you can mix up and keep around.

How long does it keep diluted? And how do you tell if its still active. Iodophor you could see the colour - brown = ok, clear = not OK and it would go off in a few hours as the iodine sublimated. What's the deal with this new fangled starsan stuff.

I've been making it up and chucking it each time.
I'm new to starsan and some of the stuff I've read on here is that it keeps about a week if diluted in tap water, store it in a darkish place. Apparently it goes cloudy when no longer effective. If you use distilled water it keeps for much longer, weeks. Maybe even months.

The shelf life of starsan diluted with non DI water is directly proportional to the level of calcium in your water. Ca+ reacts with the acid group, and the insoluble particulate is the cloud that's left behind. If your batch is cloudy, but still below 3.0 pH, you've bound all of the free calcium in the water and should be good to keep on sanitizing.

Airgead said:
You'll have to forgive my slowness...being an iodophor user up until recently I'm not used to the concept of a sanitiser you can mix up and keep around.

How long does it keep diluted? And how do you tell if its still active. Iodophor you could see the colour - brown = ok, clear = not OK and it would go off in a few hours as the iodine sublimated. What's the deal with this new fangled starsan stuff.

I've been making it up and chucking it each time.
@Airgead #Airgead

You want Saniclean. For what you're worried about, Saniclean is the #answer.

I'm just changing from pink powder c tsp ( looking for new cleaner) and from sodium met to starsan

For a cleaner can I just use pure sodium perc?

Back