Cleaning Out Regulator

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cat007

Reaction score
Hey all

I made a mess and allowed beer to flow back through into my regulator.
It seems to work fine still after about 3 weeks - but should I and how can I clean the insides?

It's one like this:

beerguage.jpg

Cheers

Hunt

That looks like one of the chinese ones?

Not sure exactly on this one but most regulators consist of a spring loaded diaphragm and a needle and seat assembly. This is located inside the part under the adjustment knob and will most probably screw into the section where the gauges are mounted, if you can undo this then you could try to take it apart to clean it. The problem is that even if you do the above you will never be able to clean out the guts of the pressure gauges properly so there will always be a lingering mankiness inside. If the inside of the gauges smells nasty then its probably a writeoff as the cost of new gauges for most regs tends to outweight the cost of a new reg.

Treat it as a learning experience and make sure that you install a check valve / non return valve in your gas line just downstream from the reg in the future.

Maybe I've just been lucky that nothing appeared to gave gotten into the gauges.

My problems with this particular brand of reg occurred when force carbing. I set it to 40 psi and started shaking and all of a sudden I've got a reg full of beer. This happened twice before I twigged what was happening. The release valve was opening up allowing beer back up the line. I now force carb at 30 psi for a bit longer and all is sweet.

Cheers

Campbell

Latest posts

Back