Cleaning Bottles?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We always wash our bottles out after use then air dry them. And then generally once a week I'll collect all the empties and put them in a bin full of water mixed with Homebrew washing powder (39% sodium percarbonate) and then let them sit for a few days and then take them out, rinse them twice, and let them air dry upside down in milk crates.

Then prior to bottling we use starstan or an acid based sanitiser to prep all the bottles.

looking at this and everyone bottling gives me motivation to *finally* bottle today.

Get starsan, a 0-2 ml syringe from the pharmacy, a spray bottle and you will never look back. Years ago, in the early 00's I used to do it all with oxyper and it was such a long winded process - bottle brushes and all that. lots of rinsing blah, kinda what steered me off home brew for a number of years.

Mix ratio for me is 1.6ml/litre - or for the little spray bottles, .8ml to 500ml (halved)

Starsan = drink your beer, rinse with hot water to get sed out (twice), spray star san a few times and on the rim - let sit for 3 or so minutes, plonk in an empty carton/crate/box upside down until you bottle.

Bottling day for me - spray all the bottles I want with star san (3 or 4 squirts) and a few around the rim for each bottle - line them up... fit the wand to the bottling bucket - drrain/flick the bottle a few times to get sanitiser out, fill, cap

Condition, drink and repeat.

I wash my bottles with cleaning alcohol and boiling water right after emptying them.

Then I take them to my neighbourhood glass-blower, who melts them down and makes me a fresh batch of bottles.

I just don't feel it's worth the risk bottling my beer in previously used bottles.

Jens-Kristian said:
I wash my bottles with cleaning alcohol and boiling water right after emptying them.

Then I take them to my neighbourhood glass-blower, who melts them down and makes me a fresh batch of bottles.

I just don't feel it's worth the risk bottling my beer in previously used bottles.
WTF?

My old man has been doing coopers kits for the last 30 odd years, he doesn't know what starsan is and doesn't care.

he brews, bottles, drinks, rinses, brews bottles drinks and rinses.

Now I can honestly say I don't like the generic coopers kit with the coopers yeast and (knowing my dad 1kg of table sugar) but I can say that I have NEVER tasted an infection in his beers..

so I guess it's your beer, your risk..

me personally I starsan the SHIT out of everything.

"me personally I starsan the SHIT out of everything." I go along with that. And your dad, good on him. If he's happy and enjoys his beers then who can argue against that. If I disagree (and I guess I do) I don't have to drink it.
Cheers

staggalee said:
Crikey, no wonder they look cleaner than new now. :D
I`ll scale it back then.
Ta both.
{so that would be about a teaspoon per 750ml. bottle?}

staggalee.
I use half a teaspoon per bottle and pour ~80 degree water in with a funnel, let sit for 10 minutes then rinse. If I have a tub free I'll put about 50g in and around 20 litres and just sit them in there.

Then give them a blast with starsan through the tree attachment, by the time they are all on the tree they are ready to be used so away I go.

Line up 20 brewers and you'll get a dozen answers.

It's very much a personal choice, but who wants to get 2 months down the track only to open a bottle and find it's spoiled by some stray random organism.

General concensus is to rinse each bottle with water to remove debris from previous batch straight away, clean thoroughly, then rinse, then sanitise immediately before use to minimise the risks. Don't forget to do the caps too.

Using a no rinse sanitiser, whether it be a peroxide based one, iodophor or acid based version is generally considered a better option. I'd suggest a phosphoric acid based one is significantly cheaper since a 500ml bottle should last a busy brewer for about 12 months or more.

HBHB said:
I'd suggest a phosphoric acid based one is significantly cheaper since a 500ml bottle should last a busy brewer for about 12 months or more.
My bottle from you is going to last me a lot longer than that it appears. Very very good value.

I'm all for sanitation and I keep my bottles very clean indeed. Frankly though, I think some of what's being described is over the top and . . well, I really like being able to brew without having to buy cleaners etc.

I generally wash out my bottles with warm water from the tap after I've emptied them. That's later the same evening or the next day: Rinse well, empty and rinse again. I use flip-tops and simply seal them up again at this stage. The wash takes care of the crap and means there's no caking of yeast sitting in the bottle to go hard.

I'm not stupid and I'm aware bacteria are still present but I take care of that right before bottling.

On bottling day, I warm the bottles with hot tap water and while they are still warm (so as not to risk cracking bottles), I pour boiling water into each bottle (about a fifth/quarter full) and seal. Hold the bottle with a tea towel and turn it upside down once or twice. Then I bottle, emptying each bottle of its water content before filling with beer.

All that said, I always find a couple of bottles at bottling time where I've forgotten to wash them out to begin with. I always seal them up though once I've poured the beer, so what's left is the yeasty dregs. In 8 years of brewing, I haven't yet found yeasty dregs that had gone off - even after several months sitting in the bottom of the bottle. I've even tasted this and it's tasted . . . well, like yeasty dregs. With these bottles, I do the same as with the ones I've washed in the first place, but I do of course inspect a bit more closely that there isn't any 'caked' yeast clinging to the bottle.

This is how I've done it since my first brew and after a few thousand bottles of beer I still haven't had an infected bottle.

I used to just rinse well with boiling water after drinking and starsan before bottling. Worked fine for ages but then got a bunch of gushers two batches in a row. CBF soaking bottles with napisan/sperc and using a bottle brush (will prolly just end up buying kegs)

Looking to try using the oven to sanitize/sterilize for my next batches, as I hate losing beer, and see how it goes.

I wash my bottles out after use then let them sit either in the laundry or the shed then when it comes to bottling day I get them all (at most 65 as I only do 21L batches or smaller) and put them in the dishwasher without powder on the hottest cycle my dishwasher will do (70C) then let them air dry in there (bloody hot steam should sort out any nasties) then I mix up a litre of starsan in a jug, throw it in my bottling bucket if I'm using one, shake the shit out of it and sit it for a few minutes, siphon the starsan back into the jug (sanitise the siphon and hose) then fill the first bottle with starsan and use a funnel to pour from bottle to bottle before filling. Whatever is left in the jug I chuck my caps in. Works a treat and only requires a litre of anything mixed up.

Just buy star san and a 2ml measuring syringe to measure out the stuff. Rinse your bottles, and starsan them afterwards. It really isn't a big issue. People have been brewing for hundreds of years in stoneware and crown seals mostly washed with water - The interior of the bottle is your only concern. I usually use boiling water/or if lazy use hot tap water to rinse - then star san, upside down to dry and starsan again for brew day. If you have big chunkies in there along the line, its something to do with your rinsing or leaving bottles out to develop mold.

Like most I rinse my bottles with water straight after use and allow to drain. On bottling day the bottles are sanitised with starsan using one of those bottle rinsing/sanitising pumps that you can get from your brew shop. 30 bottles takes about 10 min and the remaining starsan can be safely reused.
Cheers

I have been using proxitane of late and was reading recently of using this in the vegetable growing industry in place of chlorine to wash the vegetables. It is harmless to the environment but has to be handled with care it will turn the skin on your hands white so you will know if you have come into contact with it, while the skin on your hands is tough the skin on your dick isn't so its advisable not to take a piss when the white residue is on your hands. Apart from that it is one of the best sanitizers around and used in the milk, brewing and food industry.

Latest posts

Back