Cleaning 5 Gallon Carboys

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
I know its nothing new but I was so happy I had to tell someone !!!!

I have two five gallon glass carboys which I was very proud of and used to secondary ferment my beer in them ,over time despite sterilising them they developed a haze which I was not sure if it was on the inside or the outside ,I began to not use them so much as they were looking pretty sad . :(

I also had a grungy fermenter which never looked the same since I fermented a porter in it badly stained with the Isophor and even Linz shuddered when he saw it . :blink:

Well was reading a post about the Napisan( by Ross I reckon) which I had used on real bad beer bottles but took a bit of rinsing .

Anyway I first of all soaked the fermenter it came up like new Linz you would be proud of it now!!
THen rather than throw the solution away I put it in the five gallon glass carboy overnight I could see the transformation and now I am the proud owner of two sparkling glass carboys and a like new fermenter . ;)

Go Sodium Percabonate the way to go where other cleaners dont :)

Pumpy

Pumpy said:
I know its nothing new but I was so happy I had to tell someone !!!!

I have two five gallon glass carboys which I was very proud of and used to secondary ferment my beer in them ,over time despite sterilising them they developed a haze which I was not sure if it was on the inside or the outside ,I began to not use them so much as they were looking pretty sad . :(

I also had a grungy fermenter which never looked the same since I fermented a porter in it badly stained with the Isophor and even Linz shuddered when he saw it . :blink:

Well was reading a post about the Napisan( by Ross I reckon) which I had used on real bad beer bottles but took a bit of rinsing .

Anyway I first of all soaked the fermenter it came up like new Linz you would be proud of it now!!
THen rather than throw the solution away I put it in the five gallon glass carboy overnight I could see the transformation and now I am the proud owner of two sparkling glass carboys and a like new fermenter . ;)

Go Sodium Percabonate the way to go where other cleaners dont :)

Pumpy
[post="96660"][/post]​

At the risk of asking a potentially dumb question....

Napisan works like a treat on glass and fermenters...

Is it suitable for a PET bottle?

M

M

The Palmer book says it is suitable for all brewing equipment

Pumpy

Been using it for ages - works a treat and saves a bit on sanitiser.

I've been using napisan, too, for ages and it cleans everything.

With regard to PET bottles, I read in the Coopers Club newsletter some time back that you shouldn't use hot water to clean them as it destroys the plastic. I follow Papazian's suggestion and I give them a 10 minute soak in a household bleach solution (in an old large esky) the day before bottling.

Use Phos Acid for bottling here. Diluted in 2 litres of water then a small amount poured into each bottle, capped and shaken and left overnight. Next day I tip out the phos into a 2L jug and throw the caps in there, and put the bottles on the bottle tree (no need to rinse phos). Bottle and cap then throw out the remaining phos.

Don't use boiling water to sterilise PET bottles.

OdBottle2005_1102_084048.JPG

Back