Clean Fermenter, What To Make Next?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt89

Reaction score
Just finished bottling my weizen, so now I have a free fermenter just waiting to make more delicious liquid, so the question I pose is what next? I brew full extract ATM any suggestions on good recipes? (already got the centenarillo in another FV :p)

2 x cans of Stout

1 x coopers dark malt extract OR 1kg LDME

Molasses or dark brown sugar (around 500g)

Fuggles for aroma and Challenger hops for bittering (your choice as to the amounts)

Fermented at 21 celsius and 23L for 2 weeks in the primary fermenter

it all depends on what you like to drink, once you have figured that out have a look through the recipe data base and take it from there.

My go to for a quick fermenter filler for summer is a coopers cerveza kit, 500g ldme, 500g rice malt, 200g carapils and a citrusy/fruity hop with additions at 20, 5 and flameout, to 25 ibu. Favorite so far is glacier, b saaz and Nelson sauvin also excellent. I never tell people it's from a kit, passes for one of my AG beers.

Arg sounds good, just a standard week ferment and cold crash?

Arg sounds good, just a standard week ferment and cold crash?

I like to ferment 2 weeks and cold crash 1 week if im not in a hurry. Could cut it down to around 10 days ferment (or whenever you have a stable reading around expected fg for 3 days) and 2 days cold crash if you are in a hurry.

Oh yeah, and i use US05 yeast, not the kit yeast.

One box of white wings chocolate pudding, but melt some chocolate, butter and your own whipped cream, then It'll be just like a real pudding.
or
Greens Pancake Shake, and add your own maple syrup, it tastes amazing! and way better than any commercial pancakes.

Enjoy!

I'll be out in the carport making beer.

:ph34r:

BF

One box of white wings chocolate pudding, but melt some chocolate, butter and your own whipped cream, then It'll be just like a real pudding.
or
Greens Pancake Shake, and add your own maple syrup, it tastes amazing! and way better than any commercial pancakes.

Enjoy!

I'll be out in the carport making beer.

:ph34r:

BF
So I guess you learnt to run before crawling? If I knew how to AG and had the money I would but everyone has to start somewhere mate

So I guess you learnt to run before crawling? If I knew how to AG and had the money I would but everyone has to start somewhere mate

Err, no, I crawled first like almost everyone else, but I don't see what that has to do with heating water.
If you can make 15L of porridge, and then separate the liquid from the solid, you can AG.

Money, isn't a 'huge' Issue
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=38674.

If you are under the impression that AG is for the rich and Elite and you must start at the bottom by making K&K and work your way up...

You have been severely misled.

Anyway, here comes the barrage :icon_cheers:

BF

i couldnt believe how easy my first AG BIAB was really, seemed a lot less dicking about than trying to dress up a tin of goop and hoping it turned out ok

i couldnt believe how easy my first AG BIAB was really, seemed a lot less dicking about than trying to dress up a tin of goop and hoping it turned out ok

How is it alot less dicking around?

Not everybody has seven + hours to make a beer, not to mention if you f up its a whole day wasted.

I will BIAB one day but i have made some great extract brews which take a quarter of the time.

i could make 2 back to back batches in 7 hours
if you can make beer from cans of goo then there should be no way you can **** up an AG batch unless you do something completely stupid.
even on my first BIAB i still managed to hit my numbers without any problems

im not getting on a high horse trying to convert everyone doing extracts to AG, just saying after going from extract to AG its a smoother process
your already steeping grains and adding hops how is it any harder to just mash 5kg of grain, pull the bag out then throw some hops in when its boiling

honestly if you lived anywhere near me id invite you over and get you to run a batch through my urn just to prove the point, id even let you lick the spoon :)

i could make 2 back to back batches in 7 hours

:icon_offtopic:

Cool story bro. I can make two kit beers in about one fourteenth of that time.

The original poster came here asking for an extract recipe. I'm pretty sure they would have seen that there is an all grain forum, and since they are capable of making their own decisions (extract brewers are people too), they would have chosen to post on that area of the forum if they wished to brew all grain beers. I don't get why it is so hard for other people to understand that some people like brewing extract beers... for whatever reason.

I am aware of how BIAB works, i have helped a mate do a BIAB and am also part of a local brew club so i feel that I have a decent knowledge of the processes.

However, this is a Kit and Extract forum and the user was asking what extract brew to make. I dont see how posting about moving to AG is helping him.

Why bother posting?

Back on topic, Matt i rate Dr Smurtos Golden ale (Recipe DB), i did one a few months back and will be brewing another batch for sure.

and i could buy a beer in the time it takes you to find your can opener, i was making a point.. whats yours?
if someone says BIAB takes 7 hours when it clearly doesn't ill bite

i was just saying earlier in the thread how easy it actually is to do a BIAB batch, i didnt say anyone who makes kits makes shit beer or that everyone on the planet should brew all grain

if someone wants to get all defensive about their kits then so be it but dont pull out assumptions and misinform people that may be looking here and see 'wow biab takes 7 hours'

i not too long ago was brewing extracts so no need for anyone to jump down my throat, if he wants to brew an extract well good on him but dont go ranting at people for saying 'have a crack at AG, its easy.'
worst thing that can happen is you will make beer.

i not too long ago was brewing extracts so no need for anyone to jump down my throat, if he wants to brew an extract well good on him but dont go ranting at people for saying 'have a crack at AG, its easy.'
worst thing that can happen is you will make beer.

I will rant about people coming onto the kit and extract boards to talk about how 'easy' and 'good' AG is.

back when i was doing extracts i found Bconnerys Red Baron Bitter to be a cracker of a beer. Been meaning to convert it to an AG recipe so i can brew it again.

or you could try Tony's JSAA in this thread that was also the bee's knees

if these dont float your boat then just feel free to experiment, chuck your malt, a couple of speciaty grains, and whatever hops you have laying around into the brew and see how you go

Wow, looks like I got my foot in the deep end with this question! There always seems to be a rift between AG and extracters, personally once I have more knowledge and confidence in my skill (which I think above all is most important) I will make the move to 'making real beer'

It is annoying thou how a simple question of what to make next sparks an ever so often debate on a topic that does not relate to the OP, looking forward to trying a few more good extract recipes thou before moving to the dark side :p

Bubba the amber ale recipe looks good, thanks for the suggestion!

Latest posts

Back