Cleaing Ball Valves

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lou

Reaction score
just wondering how people clean their ball valves - I am thinking I will just boil one up or chuck it in the presure cooker. esp for the boiler one - they get real stinky dirty real easy even with rinsing

The valve i have is rated for much higher temps and pressures - what creates the seal ?

but that the rating for the inside of the valve not exterior

lou

just wondering how people clean their ball valves - I am thinking I will just boil one up or chuck it in the presure cooker. esp for the boiler one - they get real stinky dirty real easy even with rinsing

The valve i have is rated for much higher temps and pressures - what creates the seal ?

but that the rating for the inside of the valve not exterior

lou

I just take mine off the kettle/hlt/pump etc occasionally and hit them with the neo pink and a toothbrush.
Haven't had a infection yet, touch wood. :unsure:

vl.

Evening Lou. I usually keg a batch of beer just before I rack a new one into the fermenter. After I take of the ball valves I partially close them and dunk them in the 90 degree water in the HLT, then give them a scrub with a toothbrush. I keep doing this until there is no more sediment coming from the valves. After I assemble the valves again I spray with sanitiser. :D

I recently cleaned mine after finding some goo inside prior to a brew. Used a small bottle brush, the kind that you use to clean teats for baby bottles. Can find these at supermarkets or chemists.

The one on the kettle is really important to keep clean if you use an immersion chiller. Cold wort coming out straight into the fermenter. If there is any bacteria in there it is bound to infect the brew.

I recently cleaned mine after finding some goo inside prior to a brew. Used a small bottle brush, the kind that you use to clean teats for baby bottles. Can find these at supermarkets or chemists.

The one on the kettle is really important to keep clean if you use an immersion chiller. Cold wort coming out straight into the fermenter. If there is any bacteria in there it is bound to infect the brew.

the one in the kettle can get extremely filthy. The first time i cleaned mine, after doing 5-6 brews, it was absolutely disgusting. I had strings of gelatised wort that had traces of mould and other crap ewww. I'm surprised i hadnt had an infection, even tho i use a cfwc.

speaking of cfwc's, does anyone know a way to scrub these out?

vl.

the one in the kettle can get extremely filthy. The first time i cleaned mine, after doing 5-6 brews, it was absolutely disgusting. I had strings of gelatised wort that had traces of mould and other crap ewww. I'm surprised i hadnt had an infection, even tho i use a cfwc.

speaking of cfwc's, does anyone know a way to scrub these out?

vl.

This subject is a really interesting post which has not got the 'air time' it probably deserves ,

Yes and you guys were right YUK!!

I suppose the temperature that area gets too is high enough to kill off any bugs .

But It smells like 'Carbonised wort 'which may add a flavour to your beer .

I have attached a pic

Pumpy :blink:

carbonised_wort_in_kettle_ball_valve_II.jpg

Soak it in Nappy-San and hot water overnight, then clean it out with a toothbrush.

Every brew SHOULD have nappi-san in the cupboard :super:

Soak it in Nappy-San and hot water overnight, then clean it out with a toothbrush.

:blink: What, you even put a cupboard into you brew :huh: How big is your fermenter :p

heres anotherway if youve got a dishwasher run it thru a cycle they come up great

Stu is Napisan Ok for Stainless steel for such a long period ???

Franko is the Dishwasher powder OK for SS too ????

Pumpy :)

Pumpy,
dishwasher is fine for SS just have a look at what your dishwasher is made of inside Stainless steel...
they come up nice and shiny

Franko

Pumpy,
dishwasher is fine for SS just have a look at what your dishwasher is made of inside Stainless steel...

Franko

Franko you are the King of Bling! Bling! B)

Pumpy

now theres a name for my brewery "Bling Bling Brewery" lol

Pumpy[/quote]Franko is the Dishwasher powder OK for SS too ????

[/quote]

Pumpy,

Franko
[/quote]

Your right Franko at the 'Bling Bling Brewery' !

Nappi-San is perfect for stainless( and plastic ) and wont affect it if you leave it for long periods

Nappi-San is perfect for stainless( and plastic ) and wont affect it if you leave it for long periods

Thanks Guys I soaked overnight and they came up lovely and clean .

Stu have you shares in Napisan you are one of thier biggest proponents .

I will do that more often that unseen gunk will attract Coackroaches for sure .

Well I chucked one in the pressure cooker

seems to come out alright but in the end didn't clean off the smell -Chucked in a bucket with oxyaction - clean as a whistle in 15 mins. The sodium percarbonate cleaner really helps to lift off stuff which is what you need in a malty environment :p

lou

Stu have you shares in Napisan you are one of thier biggest proponents .

Almost Pumpy :D , I found a cleaning supplier/manufacturer that sells 5kg of Nappi-Sanfor $40 and straight Hydrogen Peroxide for $12ltr.

I like it cause it is safe, cheap and works.. B)

Latest posts

Back