Classic Beers Threatened. German Hallertau Crop Hit By Hail

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just what we need, another reason for higher hop prices.

Here is hoping the plants rejuvinate and reshoot quickly, however even if they do, there will be a greatly reduced crop, and hence higher prices. Doh!

According to Ellerslie they are looking at 19% and 25% shortfalls in the Hallertau and Tettnang crops respectively.

Dont tell Ross he will whack his prices up like the petrol stations let me get my order in first

Pumpy

Now is the time to consider buying rhizomes, splitting your own rhizomes, clearing some ground in the garden for all these newly cultivated hop plants, and doing it all yourself.

As far as what homebrewers generally need to purchase (cleanin/sanitizing material, brewing equipment, grain and hops) I reckon it is the hops that are the easiest to make from scratch yourself (given you have the space).

Doesn't help much for the next 6 months but something the think about :icon_cheers:

If only I could've got my Hallertau to flower up some cones this year I'd be laughing marlow. Got no joy from my first season plantings. Now the suckers have gone dormant waiting for next season's growth. Germany got the hail, we got the stoopid hot temps over 40 that dried up anything green.

Damn those people with Pride of Ringwood and Chinook who have so many cones they don't know what to do with them <_<

Jealousy is a curse!

Hopper.

I've been out of the scene for a few years (I'm back) and if I remember correctly, all of our hops was sourced locally and in NZ. Has that changed? Lucky I've still got a kilo each of POR and Fuggles and 1/2 kilo Hallertau sitting in the freezer. Been there for longer than I'd wish though...fingers crossed.

I've been out of the scene for a few years (I'm back) and if I remember correctly, all of our hops was sourced locally and in NZ. Has that changed? Lucky I've still got a kilo each of POR and Fuggles and 1/2 kilo Hallertau sitting in the freezer. Been there for longer than I'd wish though...fingers crossed.

Yeah it's changed a bit, you can get imported european and american hops quite easily now.

James

I guess as long as the hail doesn't hit NZ we can substitute NZ Hallertau? :D

Bummer if you want the real deal though.

Lets face it, how many types are on th market? If this impacts the general market someone is ripping us off.. Maybe Germany Hallertau will go up in price but it is really only 25% of that 1 variety.

QLdKev

Lets face it, how many types are on th market? If this impacts the general market someone is ripping us off.. Maybe Germany Hallertau will go up in price but it is really only 25% of that 1 variety.

QLdKev

Hallertau isnt really a bittering hop either. Im guessing that its only really used for flavour and aroma, hence would only be used in beers that need hallertau flavour/aroma, hence should not affect any other hop types.

According to Ellerslie they are looking at 19% and 25% shortfalls in the Hallertau and Tettnang crops respectively.

Grow your own Tettnang!

I have plenty of rhizomes available for sale.
A few think I am ripping people off, most have been very happy with my offer and think its a bargain.

I think its a chance to easily grow your own and not have worry about the "crisis".

PM me if you are interested.

Gil

Grow your own Tettnang!

I have plenty of rhizomes available for sale.
A few think I am ripping people off, most have been very happy with my offer and think its a bargain.

I think its a chance to easily grow your own and not have worry about the "crisis".

PM me if you are interested.

Gil

Are you sure you should not be in the retailers section???

QldKev

Back