Cinnamon

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glot

Reaction score
Has anyone experimented with a teaspoon of cinnamon in there boil?

Have you ever tried Cinnamon Girl from St. Peter's Brewery? Not a favourite of mine
I have made pumpkin beer in the past with cinnamon and other spices as well as spiced christmas ales that included it but never cinnamon just exclusively
You will be unlikely to notice 1 teaspoon. in a 20 litre batch - depending on the style you are brewing. To my mind, the earthiness of cinnamon would go with a dark, malty beer that has a lot of caramel notes...

Used it in the mash for beer I plan to bottle. Listened to it described by Charlie Papazian as a way to prevent staling flavor of beer over long storage caused by hot wort aeration. Half a stick freshly ground in the mash no flavor will carry through at all.

Otherwise I also used it in a Pumpkin Ale with Nutmeg and Vanilla bean but it was barely detectable. Added at end of boil but fermenting often diminishes the flavor of natural flavor additives. I'm going to try the tincture method of flavor additives next time added after fermentation.

I should have clarified the context of use. It was for the anti oxidant reasons.
Mind you, my normal brews don't last long enough anyway but planning on doing some quite heavy ones to age a bit.

I have just read a book by Karnowski (Karnowski, 2014) which discusses dosage rates for various spices etc. Sorry I can't remember what he recomended as I don't have the book any more (local library loan) but it would be worth chasing up a copy.

Mike Karnowski, Home Brew, Beyond the basics. 2014 Lark.

I reckon you'd be better off using a cinnamon stick or two rather that powder. I've used it in my cider and a single stick, boiled for a few minutes in water and some brown sugar carries through really well in a ~20L batch. I also dump the stick (and other spices) into the fermenter.

Worth bearing in mind with spices a little bit does go a long way and it is easier to add more next time, than try and drink a batch that has too much in it.

Glot said:
It was for the anti oxidant reasons.
Antioxidant for your own health or for the beer?

Latest posts

Back