Cider This Weekend

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad I only do this once a year. Next year I think I'll try to hire a proper wine press. It has to be easier.

Cheers
Dave

What do you mean glad you only do it once a year? I only have the cats to help me.

Looking good - interested to hear how it goes, especially as you say you are sulphite free. Do you chuk your yeast straight in or leave the brew to form a crust for clarification first?

Hoping to get a full fresh apple cider down sometime in the next couple of weeks - cheap apples up the road (all between $1.50 and $2 per kg which compares favourably to the local safeway which is closer to $4/5 per kg)

What temp do you ferment your ciders at and do you add any lactose or just go for dry?

What do you mean glad you only do it once a year? I only have the cats to help me.

Looking good - interested to hear how it goes, especially as you say you are sulphite free. Do you chuk your yeast straight in or leave the brew to form a crust for clarification first?

Hoping to get a full fresh apple cider down sometime in the next couple of weeks - cheap apples up the road (all between $1.50 and $2 per kg which compares favourably to the local safeway which is closer to $4/5 per kg)

What temp do you ferment your ciders at and do you add any lactose or just go for dry?

My helpers were very willing but not very helpful. every 5 minutes it was "dad... I need help with this" and I'd have to shut off the juicer and help whichever one do whatever it was. helper number 2 managed to slice his palm open cutting bruised patches out of the apples (after I'd told him not to). I think the cat would have been more useful.

I pitched the yeast straight it. That's what I did last year and it worked well. I'll do a double batch next year and let one clarify to see what the difference in the final product is.

The cider will end up dry. the missus prefers it like that and I can't use lactose anyway as she is lactose intolerant (lactose intolerant and allergic to the sulphates which makes my life very difficult).

Fermenting at 16 which is a bit cooler than last year. I'm hoping it will leave a little more residual sweetness than last year. It was bone dry last year and I had to back sweeten with honey. Lovely but meant I couldn't bottle any and take it anywhere where I couldn't keep it refrigerated.

Cheers
Dave

HI Guys

I have a breville juice fountain here, and I dont use it all that often anymore. However, making a cider from pure apple juice is something I never thought of. I often get box(es) of apples and I could quite easily get a half sized brew underway in no time.

I will have to put this on the "to do" list. What a great idea. Might chuck in some lactose for a tiny bit of sweetness. Anyway, I guess I have some reading to do on cider.

I am pretty certain I could get this done in the next few weeks. How long do you leave it in the bottle to condition?

Also, you mentioned you use 4766 yeast? Any quick tips as to why? I will read up on 4766. Would US-05 be any good?

Lots to search and read I guess.

Rendo

4766 yeast is a cider yeast.

I've made all juice ciders and found S05 stripped to much out of it. S04 appeared to do a better job in leaving some flavour and aroma in there.

HI Guys

I have a breville juice fountain here, and I dont use it all that often anymore. However, making a cider from pure apple juice is something I never thought of. I often get box(es) of apples and I could quite easily get a half sized brew underway in no time.

I will have to put this on the "to do" list. What a great idea. Might chuck in some lactose for a tiny bit of sweetness. Anyway, I guess I have some reading to do on cider.

I am pretty certain I could get this done in the next few weeks. How long do you leave it in the bottle to condition?

Also, you mentioned you use 4766 yeast? Any quick tips as to why? I will read up on 4766. Would US-05 be any good?

Lots to search and read I guess.

Rendo

Rendo - check out the simple cider and simplest cider threads in the non-beer brewing sub forum. Loads of info about the different methods and yeasts people use. I use white wine yeast but this does make a very dry cider which I balance a bit with lactose (still dry but not quite so bone dry). It depends on preference. The wine yeast does tend to make it a bit 'winey' - for the next one I'm aiming to use wyeast's sweet mead yeast then later compare that with the 4766.

hey bud, sorry didnt relise cider was in here.......

You said Wyeast 4766 yeast but u also said depends what final product your after.
What changes do different yeast make at the final result??

oh and i have some yeast nutrient left over thats just chucked in when pitching the yeast? or do u stir it through before hand???

hey bud, sorry didnt relise cider was in here.......

You said Wyeast 4766 yeast but u also said depends what final product your after.
What changes do different yeast make at the final result??

OK.. that's a hard one and probably deserves a thread all on its own.

Pretty much any yeast will ferment a cider out dry. Even a yeast with a low attenuation will still finish dry in a cider as the yeast attenuation is a measure of how well it will ferment complex sugars. Any yeast will eat right through the simple sugars in apple juice regardless of its stated attenuation. The exception would be something like a sweet cider yeast which essentially has a very low alcohol tolerance and will poison its self before it finishes fermenting. I find them a bit hit and miss though.

Mostly, different yeasts will enhance or decrease the fruit flavours and may add some esters and other flavours of their own. Making things even more difficult, different apples have different flavours/aromas that will be enhanced/decreased differently by different yeasts.

I tend to use 4766 as it leaves a lot of good fruit flavour and doesn't strip anything out. It also doesn't seem to add much flavour so you end up with something that tastes like apples. I don't want any beery esters as this is for the missus and she doesn't like that. I press my own juice though so I can ensure I have good flavoured juice. Some shop bought juice is pretty bland - very little acid, not much character. In juices like this the 4766 can leave the cider a bit thin and tasteless. A juice like that might benefit from an ale yeast (S04/S05 seem to be popular) as that will add some esters and give you more flavour. The esters might clash with the apple flavour though so you don't want too many. A belgian yeast probably wouldn't work so well. Even some of the English ale yeasts might be a bit too estery. If you have a very perfumy apple and want to preserve that, you need something that doesn't ferment too quickly. I have heard of lager yeasts being used successfully for that.

For me though, because I can control my juice I find the 4766 gives a good result. I don't tend to use nutrient and I ferment a bit colder than recommended. The reason for this is that I want a dry cider but not bone dry so I want the yeast to finish a little earlier than they otherwise would. By starving them of nutrients (actually apple juice has quite a bit of yeast nutrient naturally so its not really starvation.. its more like a mild diet) and stressing them with cold I am trying to get a slightly premature end to fermentation. Its a fine line though. Its really easy to end up with a stuck fermentation and something really sweet or for the yeast to just finish dry anyway.

You can also play tricks like keeving (letting the juice sit for a few days underneath a cap of foam) which reduces the amount of nutrient available and gives you a sweeter cider. That's next year's experiment.

Welcome to the wonderful world of cider.

Cheers
Dave

damn so complex lol... what temp is ok to pitch the 4766 at?? between what and what roughly?

damn so complex lol... what temp is ok to pitch the 4766 at?? between what and what roughly?

Yep. Complex.

Wyeast recommend 15-24C as the temp range on 4766 with 18-20 being the usual range. I like to ferment ciders as cold as I can go though. I found though that 15 is a little too cool if your temp control isn't spot on. If your fridge swings by a degree or so then it will drop to 14 and it will stop and you end up stuck. I'm currently running mine at 16 which allowing for my fridge swing of around 1C each way gives me a range of 15-17 which is enough to slow it down but not enough to accidentally stop it dead.

Cheers
Dave

awsome thanks mate. i think at the moment with adel being cool i should be able to get it to sit at around 18. so i will try the 4766!

thanks mate

You can also play tricks like keeving (letting the juice sit for a few days underneath a cap of foam) which reduces the amount of nutrient available and gives you a sweeter cider. That's next year's experiment.

Cheers
Dave

I let my cider sit until a crust forms, then rack it. I do this to clarify it. As far as I understand Keeving also involves the additions of some enzymes and other jimminyjamminies while performing this clarification step.

Have you used the sweet mead yeast? Tossing up between that and 4766 for my next. Basically I don't mind dry and the lactose is enough to pull it back just that tiny touch but I want as much apple flavour in there as I can.

I let my cider sit until a crust forms, then rack it. I do this to clarify it. As far as I understand Keeving also involves the additions of some enzymes and other jimminyjamminies while performing this clarification step.

Have you used the sweet mead yeast? Tossing up between that and 4766 for my next. Basically I don't mind dry and the lactose is enough to pull it back just that tiny touch but I want as much apple flavour in there as I can.

I stick with the 4766 as the missus prefers a dry cider. You could try splitting a batch...I have 4766 on slants if you want some that way you only have to buy the sweet.

Not sure about keeving and enzymes. I haven't done my research yet as I haven't ever had a spare batch of juice to play with.

Cheers
Dave

Slant ?? whats that sorry :S

also i went to the supermarket and i cant find straight apple juice perservative free. Is it such a big deal that it NEEDS to be perservative free??

also i went to the supermarket and i cant find straight apple juice perservative free. Is it such a big deal that it NEEDS to be perservative free??

Small amount of yeast that can be grown into a larger amount.

Preservatives can interfere with yeast health.

One of these -
slanttube.JPG

Good for storing yeast long term. You streak a tiny amount of yeast onto the agar. You then grow it up into a pitchable quantity before using it. Great but you need to be ultra careful with keeping slants sterile (sterile not sanitised...)

Cheers
Dave

Excellent thanks guys.

ill look for berri juice tonight.
and also 4766 and lactose and give it a crack!

What about sanitisation ? Do you boil the juice or anything ?
Reason i'm asking is i just had the idea the other day to buy some good cheap apples & make a cider.
& just came across this thread now. I have the exact same Juicer as Airgead.

Latest posts

Back