First Raw Apple Cider

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Give it some time for the taste to alter too - it's often the case with home wines that you need to let them mature over a period, probably a few months. Over time it ought to go from the strong 'spirit-like' taste to something more cider like.

Thanks for the tips gents.

Tomorrow I bottle one of my other finished beers, so I'll have a free FV into which, I'll rack this cider using Rob's method.
Cheers,
Pete

The only thing to take note of after racking is to make sure you do have enough yeast going into the bottles to actually allow carbonation.
Most apple juices should hold enough in suspension that it's not a worry,
but if you rack multiple times or for months you may need to top up the batch with some fresh yeast when you come to bottling time.

G'day gents, just a quick update on this raw apple cider experiment.

I racked it into another FV 10 days ago using Rob's method, and it has been sitting there not doing much at all, there's definitely no yeast action happening so I'm wondering... Should I go to bottles or rack again, but this time into a demijohn with some fresh yeast & nutrient and let it sit for a few more weeks?

Well, after tasting it this morning I decided there was no way this was drinkable, I swear the alcohol content was double what it was before and my SG reading confirm it's sitting at around 14% abv. So I've racked it into a new demijohn and sprinkled a little more yeast & nutrient into it. The taste was more like soured wine. Anyway, I'm just going to leave it in the dark and forget about it for a couple of months.

imagejpg1-1.jpg

You may be getting some of your terminology mixed up a bit.
SG/OG = starting/original gravity. You need to measure this after adding sugar otherwise you haven't measured it. I personally don't add any sugar to ciders as They have enough kick in them for me ( but I'm getting old )
FG = finished/final gravity.
There is no point adding yeast to a cider that's at 0.98 because there aint nothing left for it to eat. In fact you may get vegemite flavours from yeast autolysis , depending how much you've got in there.
A rough alc guess would be @ 11%, which is going to leave some pretty hot alcohol flavours , especially if the ferment was warmish.
If you want to give it a chance maybe cold crash for a while and then transfer to a storage container and cross your fingers. It's probably rocket fuel though :blink:
The next one will be better
cheers

Oh right, I thought SG was Specific Gravity, being a reading you take at any time between OG & FG.

Yeah I think adding more yeast & nutrient may in fact turn this into something more potent, I might as well add some sugar for the yeast to eat and put it down to a learning experience.

If the alc is that high you could spice it with ginger, cinnamon etc and have a nice wine. Just keep racking it off till it leaves no more sediment and a year in corked bottles.

I am about to do a big batch of apple wine for the wife with a little spice, will have to dig the recipe out but atm apples are a good price so good time to do it.

Back