Quantcast

Cider Not Attenuating - Safale S04

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

pommiebloke

Reaction score
I've had a turbo cider going for over 3 weeks now and although there was a lot of activity in the first week the hydrometer is now reading somewhere around 1.016 which seems a little high to me.

Is this normal with S04 or should I add some more yeast perhaps?

Tastes nice and sweet which is what SWMBO likes but I'm wary of bottle bombs if I bottle at that gravity.

Not sure what the OG was as I didn't have a hydrometer to hand at the time but it was 85% apple juice and 15% pear juice - no added sugar.

Online Brewing Supplies

**** OBS ****
Reaction score
Sounds high for a cider, do a force ferment, take some out or fermenter and leave it covered at about 26 C and see if it takes off again.
Do another FG.
If it doesnt its finished or your yeast has fallen over.
Nev

seemax

Reaction score
If you like it sweet and happy with the lower ABV you could bottle and pasteurise or kill the yeast some other way.

Never tried that method personally as I just keg it when it's around 1.020 to slow the yeast right down.

pommiebloke

Reaction score
Well I drew some of the cider off in to a sterilised container and added another sachet of S04 and it was going gangbusters within minutes. Added it back in to the fermenter so I'll see how it goes - hopefully it will ferment out fully now.

cyrrus

Reaction score
Sounds like it needs some yeast nutrient

Latest posts