Christmas Brewing In The Latrobe Valley

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

st.sloth

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was a lingerer here on the forums some time back, now working as a journalist in the Latrobe Valley. Just wondering if anyone on here in the Valley, or immediately surrounding areas, have been up to anything brewing/distilling related for Chrissy ?

Whether it be a local case swap, or an annual Xmas brewing get together, or someone that works on a special drink - beer or otherwise - for consumption on the day.

Just hoping to do a light hearted feature article with a pic, to give the sub-culture a bit more exposure down here.

Cheers

QUOTE (st.sloth @ Dec 20 2011, 11:20 AM)
brewing/distilling

that's illegal in this country and is not for discussion on this forum.
Really? I thought brewing was perfectly fine. Guess we're all fucked then. :huh:

I think distilling is OK to. As long as it isn't alcohol.

QUOTE (st.sloth @ Dec 20 2011, 11:20 AM)
brewing/distilling

Really? I thought brewing was perfectly fine. Guess we're all fucked then. :huh:

brewing -> fermenting -> bottling or kegging or drinking is fine, but brewing -> fermenting -> other thing -> bottling is not :)

Whether it be a local case swap, or an annual Xmas brewing get together, or someone that works on a special drink - beer or otherwise - for consumption on the day.

Just hoping to do a light hearted feature article with a pic, to give the sub-culture a bit more exposure down here.
You just missed the Vic/Melbourne Case-swap, we had at least one person there from Gippsland way.
Melbourne Brewers will be at Mirboo North for Beerfest in the new year, last year they had a special category for local brewers that might be of interest.

Cheers for the replies guys. Please excuse the delay of mine.

Distilling illegal? My anecdotal understanding was that individuals could distil quantities of up to five litres with a licence. May need to do some research there.

I was quick to call 'shotgun' on covering the Beerfest in the newsroom. May see some of you about there.

Cheers, Louis

Hey Wolfy, is there a thread on here for preperations for the Mirboo North Beerfest itself? Would love to get in touch with anyone local who will be making an entry this year as a profile/preview for the event.

Cheers again.

Distilling illegal? My anecdotal understanding was that individuals could distil quantities of up to five litres with a licence. May need to do some research there.

up to 5 litres of essential oil only, alcohol is illegal.

If that's the case, how do home brew shops sell those little bottles of whisky and other spirit extract flavours for distilling?

The Production and Distribution of Alcohol Under the Distillation Act 1901 (Cwlth) it is an offence to distil any spirit without first obtaining a licence from the Excise Business Line of the Australian Taxation Office (maximum penalty $5000).

It is also an offence to make, possess, sell or purchase any illicit spirits regardless of the proposed use (maximum penalty $5000).

The production of beer or wine without a licence is not an offence provided the production is not for commercial purposes, as specified by the Excise Tariff Act 1921 (Cwlth).

DASSA

If that's the case, how do home brew shops sell those little bottles of whisky and other spirit extract flavours for distilling?

For flavouring ice cream? or store bought vodka...

say no more say no more

Hey Wolfy, is there a thread on here for preperations for the Mirboo North Beerfest itself? Would love to get in touch with anyone local who will be making an entry this year as a profile/preview for the event.
I'd suggest getting in touch with Melbourne Brewers: http://www.melbournebrewers.org/ (there is also info on the news-letters linked on the website).
No doubt they can also let you know who the local brewers were last year, and you may be able to get in-touch that way.

Latest posts

Back