Choc Stout Recipe - How Much Cocao?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetfoley

Reaction score
Just wondering how much and at what stage I should add my cocao? I want a definate chocolate taste but not strong or overpowering...

This is my recipe:

Jets Choc Stout

Partial Grain

1kg - Ale marris otter malt
450g - Flaked Barley
300g - Roasted Barley
250g - Choc Malt

1.7kg tin - Coopers Canadian Blonde

15 Min Boil

20g Fuggles @15mins
10g Fuggels @5 mins
???gCocao @??mins

60 min mash @ 66degrees

I may adjust the late fuggels addition as I dont want it to be over powering.

Long ago when I added cocoa to my extracts it was a very small amount. I didn't have scales then so I can't give you an exact weight. Imagine making strong coffee in a plunger for four people. Thta's about the amount I used.

These days I find choc malt, roast barley and lactose give me a very chocolatey stout. Next one I'm going to keep the same grist but drop the lactose to make a drier version.

I bottled a choc stout 2 weeks ago. I added 500g lactose and used 200g of cocoa along with brown sugar and treacle. I havent found the cocoa to be overpowering at all. I added it at the end of the boil and just dissolved it. I did rack after a week and it is more coffee/mocha flavour. It was a kit and bits type recipe for info. Just drinking one now, nice thick creamy head, very very nice and ive never been a stout drinker! :D

Mate add some chicos. Serious. I primed with chicos in a stout and it turned out awesome. Only problem using them for priming is the left over jelly bits. Chuck em in the fermenter then rack or bottle.

chicos.JPG

Don't do what I did and added 1kg of choc malt.I'm drinking it now and its very strong rosty taste.Gross.

My dub choc stout that I got from a very respected commercial brewer has the following:

80% Pale
10% wheat
2.5% choc malt
2.5% choc wheat
2.5% roast
2.5% crystal

It's awesome and recieves rave reviews, especially once it's aged for a few months.

Cheers - Mike

Don't do what I did and added 1kg of choc malt.I'm drinking it now and its very strong rosty taste.Gross.

1kg/20% of carafa i recon would be.... :icon_drool2:

standard choc malt however.... hmmmm.

Sounds like I wanna add 200g of cocao and maybe a bit of latose (250g) to my recipe...

Latest posts

Back