thoughts on stout recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewnewb

Reaction score
Good morning Aus Brewers,
and to any other folks applicable salutations on your time zone.

I am fluffing around with something between a Dry Irish Stout And Extra Foreign aiming for a bit over 6% with real malt complexity, hence the grain bill.
I don't have access to BeerSmith at the moment, so am a little curious to see what changes/recommendations AHB folks might suggest.
Full body mash profile and sparge.

95 L Boil
16 kg UK 2 Row
1.5 kg Biscuit Malt
1.5 kg Flaked Barley
1.25kg Roasted Barley
2 kg Chocolate Malt
1 kg Black Barley

90 Min Boil
300g Fuggles @ 90 Min
150g EKG @ 15 Min

Pitched with SafLager 34/70 racked from my pilsner that's hopefully finishing soon.

Sounds good... what exactly is black barley, is it the same as black patent or is it a slightly less roasted RB? I'd go Golden Promise as choice of base malt FWIW.

yeah, i am not sure, i need to check who's supplying what. i will update with the LHBS suppliers a little later hopefully. i used black barley in my ris last time and it was an amazing colour, if i cant find it i will sub for black patent it was somewhere in the 980 range from memory. i am really aiming for the burnt/chocolate character, but something a little more sessionable than a ris.

I think the recipe looks good.

Another thing that will affect it - potentially a lot - is your water chemistry. Do you know what your alkalinity, hardness, sulphate and chloride levels are? Ideally (for this beer) you do have a bit of alkalinity - but if you don't you may need some slaked lime/calcium hydroxide to prevent the pH going too low. And you definitely want to make sure your chloride is - or ends up - around double what your sulphate is.

Funny you say this just pinged AWRI for a water test quote, great minds i guess. i have tested the TDS with a cheap meter and it is about 21-24 ppm so it is quite soft i guess, in the past my malty beers have gone well. but yes, always trying to make it better and will try and get some H20 analysed to make a better drop!

Back