Choc Mint Porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottled today will see how she turns out. Then nipped to the shop, grabbed a can of coopers stout and 600g of dex and pitched onto the yeast cake. Should have some choc and vanilla left in the trub. Should be interesting. Might rack again onto more choc or leave it as a dryer stout.

I'm curious about this ole beer too. I just got back from New Orleans and had the NOLA Girl Stout Cookie which was a seasonal winter thing along the same lines. Fantastic beer! You could smell the mint more than taste it, and the smooth sweet stout seemed to help bring it together. I might try giving it a go soon (the stout version that is...)

I can see this is an old thread but I made something quite like this recently. A liquorice porter, bittered with gentian (NOT hops). I waited until a very late stage before adding fresh mint leaves, which I think helped them impart more of their aroma and flavour than if I'd added them at the end of the boil. Spot of grated ginger also added to round out the flavour. I bottled it two days ago with some sugar for carbonation; it has a unique taste, with some really attractive notes - strong fruitiness from the mint and ginger, residual sweetness from the liquorice and malt, and a clean but not overwhelming bitterness from the gentian.

Will have to wait for a week or two to see how it tastes out of the fridge. I think it's quite promising.

Personally I don't think minty taste is likely to remain in a beer: mint's more for the smell.

Back