Choc Mint Porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jurule

Reaction score
Am looking to brew this for next winter. SOmething big and tasty. Not too hoppy. I love choc mint ice cream, mint chocolate etc etc. I think they go beautifully personally. :icon_drool2:

1 x Coopers Dark Ale Kit
1 x 1.5kg Light Coopers LME
200g brown sugar
100g Choc wheat malt
50g Black malt
300g Medium Crystal
200g Melanoidin Malt
200g Cocoa Powder
Leaves from about 10 peppermint tea bags.
Windsor Ale Yeast

Steep grains for 30mins.
Boil wort for 20 mins with some LME.
Add cocoa at end of boil along with tea bags to steep for 5 mins.

Fill fermenter to 18 litres.
Rack and add 2 packets of peppermint lifesavers.

Predicted
OG 1065
FG 1016
Abv 6.8% bottled

ANy feedback would be appreciated.

It's going to taste like toothpaste. (But ignore can probably me - i think just about anything cooked with mint tastes like toothpaste. It's just a flavour association I can't shake)

Ever had a mint slice with a beer?
Might give you an idea of taste.
Might work if the porter base is good.
That recipe looks a bit bizarre, no hops?
Hmmmmmm.....toothpaste is looking likely

U must have missed the kit in the recipe. It's about 32 ibu. No other hop additions to allow the malts choc and mint to shine.

i like this idea, as i am a sucker for the mint too

i know with icecream and mint ice magic you can never have too much, but it would be a shame to 'overmint' your porter - especially after waiting for a year

i would love a lingering dark choc hit in the mouth and a minty after taste and aroma that you mainly taste and smell after you breathe out

have you accounted for the puckery bitterness that the the cocoa will add?

I disapprove of your choice of beer, but will defend to the death your right to brew it.

I disapprove of your choice of beer, but will defend to the death your right to brew it.

This is also exactly the sentiment behind my toothpaste comment

Further: if given the opportunity, i'd taste it, and thank you for the experience afterwards

Well put this down today. Made up to 21 litres. OG 1080. Was like soup but smelt unbelievably good. Used 5 peppermint tea bags and steeped them in for 5 mins at the end of the boil.

Going to rack onto the cocoa in secondary after dissolving in hot water. Also going to add a whole vanilla bean and maybe a life saver mint or two depending how it tastes after fermentation.

Just have to wait now. Will be a while before she really smooths out I'm guessing.

Looking forward to next winter with a nice rich dessert to match!

when i did a 20L choc stout
i stuck 150mL of some hospitality grade chocolate essence (use for ppl with stills making liqueur or Milkshakes or cakes) in
and 500g lactose (that won't ferment out) to keep it sweet

yeah all those grains look ok, but don't boil them too hard or else you get some real bitter taste that releases

make sure the p'mint doesn't overpower, not worth the risk. choc stout is already awesome

high alc = longer lasting
leave it a couple of years, let the flavours really mellow out

OG was 1080 and has stopped at 1030. Think it's the windsor yeast. It's good for the stale though it very full bodied and on the sweet side. Chocolate is really coming through nicely but not much mint so added a few more life savers and another vanilla bean. Have turned the fridge right down and gonna let sit for a week or two then bottle. Tastes great already can't wait for next winter! Cheers

I wonder if a couple of drops of creme de menthe in a chocolate porter would do the job here

used with restraint you may get that mint-slice after taste you are looking for

I'm sure there are many ways sounds good. Either way I think it's gonna be a good drop.

Forgot to mentio the recipe also had a can of dark coopers lme.
Have added 3 whole vanilla bean pods and 5 more lifesavers. A day later and I can now taste a hint of Cooling mint coming thru. Will leave it at that and give it some time to settle and suck up all the vanilla before bottling

Forgot to mentio the recipe also had a can of dark coopers lme.
Have added 3 whole vanilla bean pods and 5 more lifesavers. A day later and I can now taste a hint of Cooling mint coming thru. Will leave it at that and give it some time to settle and suck up all the vanilla before bottling
How's the FG looking, Jurule? From what I've heard, Windsor finishes pretty high (but I love it).
Sounds like an interesting one.

Bottomed out at 1030. Def doesn't need any lactose.

I probably would have dry-pitched the peppermint tea-bags after the first couple of days and stayed away from the peppermint lollies.

Also, are you haling the vanilla pods so the seeds (flavour) is exposed, or are you just getting the flavour from the skin? 3 vanilla pods would be anough to drown out all other flavours, I would have thought...

The lollies are ideal as they leave behind the mint extract. I split the beans open yes. It won't overpower as there is plenty of dark malts and cocoa in there. The vanilla just helps bring out the choc flavor. Remember this is a dessert style beer. Will see how she tastes soon enough. Will update on the results. Cheers

I'd love to hear how this turns out. I love the idea!!

Latest posts

Back