Chimay Blue, Partial Half Batch

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerald

Reaction score
Bellow is the copy n paste from beersmith,

i dont have the equipment to do allgrain or even a big partial so im doing a half batch so i can keep a decent ammount of the fermentables as the grain ive mashed myself! its only the second partial i've done but

Type: Partial Mash
Batch Size: 11.00 L
Boil Size: 12.59 L
Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00
Items

1.50 kg
Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM)

2.00 kg
Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM)
0.15 kg
Caraamber (30.0 SRM)
0.15 kg
Caraaroma (130.0 SRM)
0.15 kg
Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM)

20.00 gm
Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] (60 min)
10.00 gm
Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] (20 min)

0.20 kg
Candi Sugar, Dark (275.0 SRM)

1 Pkgs
Belgian Ale (Wyeast Labs #1214)

Est Original Gravity: 1.094 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.023 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol:
9.29%
Bitterness: 22.1 IBU
Est Color: 40.9 SRM

yeah, what do you guys reckon?
i dont have an immersion chiller so cool my wort down and as the entire boil makes up my whole wort, whats the best way of cooling it down??
i know its bad but are ice cubes that bad?? naturally, put pot into sink, cold water, swap it over numerous times, could even put frozen water bottles (nice n clean) inside the wort?? but yeah,

any idea, suggestions, help etcc all appreciated as im a newbie!

thanks

oooh and corriander seed and seeds of paradise?? throw a few grams of each in?

cya
gerald

Gday Gerald

I'm a k+k man myself (at the moment) AG gear on its way, but i just put down an All Grain Batch on Screwtops rig and used the no-chill method of cooling the wort down, if you do a quick search under no-chill there is a wealth of info from blokes more expeirenced than i(sorry about spelling but i'm quite drunk right now) I put my freshly boiled Batch into a sterilised and sanitized 25L blue food grade container IMG_5928.jpgand then let it cool down to pitching temp over night and poured it into my fermenter and pitched yeast. I strongly suggest getting hold of a Fridgemate controller (if you have a spare old fridge) as they work a treat at keeping ferment temps even (once again do a quick search on here wealth of info Blah Blah Blah) Good luck mate sounds like an interseting recipe.

P.S I have used blocks of ice to cool wort down in the past (in sterilised Containers) But i don't think yeast like to be pitched onto blocks of ice ( correct me if i'm wrong anyone ) just doesn't seem like good practise.

I've done a no chill partial by just sticking the lid on the pot and waiting. But it meant the pot was sitting on the stove for *ages* so HWMBO is making me a chiller :)
The point of the cube is to store the wort before fermenting, but if you're just sticking it in the fermenter as soon as its cool, you may as well leave it in the pot.
But I'v gone back to just putting the pot in a sink of ice water and then top up the fermenter with cold water.

I assume you add the extract after boil?

And when I do a partial I aim for an preboil gravity of 1.050. I can get 70-75% efficiency with that. Haven't tried it more concentrated.
But without doing a calculation, I think you could use more grain.

ach! Now I'm gonna have to play with beersmith :)

Nah ...doesn't make much difference. You could do 12l with 2.4kg of pale malt. Oh well, that's 3 stubbies! :)

Recipe looks ok. I would try and get some dark Munich in there but that is what I like and may not be authentic. You may have trouble getting Belgian pale malt. I would use German pils malt which you should be able to get. I would also lose the seeds. Chilling with the lid on in a bath/sink full of water should be fine, people have been doing it for years.

oh yeah ... no seeds.
Where do you get grains of paradise from anyway?

Back