Chimay Blue - Cellar Or Scoff

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frog-inasock

Reaction score
Hi ,

I've just been given a bottle of chimay blue and a few other strong belgians for my birthday. The chimay has a date of 2011 - what would you do - drink it now or cellar it for 6 months or more...? Could you control yourself?

2011 makes me think its relatively fresh so I'm thinking a bit of age might make it extra smooth and silky.

thanks.

The Chimay range is pretty widely available in Australia, so if you haven't tried it before I would say tuck in. If its a 750ml you may want to find someone to share it with @ 9%ABV.

They have a 5 year expiration date on them, and improve hugely over that time. I'd cellar it, unless as stated above you haven't tried it before. In which case, buy another bottle to cellar, and the do a side-by-side comparison with a fresh bottle in 3-5 year time.

Yeah I reckon cellar it and compare it later.. I was given a '05 vintage Magnum of blue for my birthday, I'm planning to crack it next year or so and compare it to a freshie. If it was a regular bottle I'd prefer it, the magnum just looks so grand (come to think of it I think it says grand reserve on it :p) I dont wanna open it!. Someone on this board told me its no different to any other of the bottles though... :shrugs:

Ok thanks, I think I will cellar it having tried it a few times before. Especially now its got a new friend, a Murrays anniversary ale, 750ml with a wire top, 10% barleywine. That one will definately be shared as its 5.9 std drinks! The label claims it can be kept for 10 years, but I dont think it will quite last that long...

I shared a bottle of anniversary ale last sunday night with a good mate. Managed to keep that one cellared for all of four days. (It was fantastic)

If cellared properly, it will last over 10 years.

Like the others said, buy another bottle so you have two... then drink one and cellar one. When you feel like its had its time, buy another one and do a comparison.
Chimay Blue is an excellent beer.

i'm another one for cellering it, i buy a magnum each birthday since '05 (usually a smaller bottle to have for my birthday too ;)) and plan to drink them all with friends on my 30th in 2010.

-Phill

The oldest Chimay i've had to date was from 2004, a stubbie I cracked this year.
Should have really done a side-by-side comparison with a fresh one, but it was certainly more 'vinous' than others I've had in the past.
I'll be patiently waiting until 2012 to crack open an '02 bottle I have.

Been collecting 750ml Chimays for a while with the hope of a 10 year vertical tasting in a few years time, I always get a stubbie of the same year as well for aging comparison and just in case I can't help myself, the 2002 I had a few weeks ago was great.

I was a Chimay virgin until tonight. I was in the local 1st choice and saw some tallies and thinking of this thread, I thought I'd splurge. I bought two, one to dink tonight, and one for the wife to hide for my 40th birthday... <_<

The one I'm drinkig now makes me think scoff, and I guess I won't be able to change that opinion for a little while.

On a side note, the bottle I'm drinking now reminds me a lot of the La Trappe Trippel (or maybe Quadrupel), from memory. Next time I feel like a splurge I reckon I might do a side by side comparison.

Latest posts

Back