Chilli & Kaffir Lime Leaf Summer Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't rack either... I just want more chilli in the beer... Could I just pop the lid and throw more chillis in and dont rack????

Yep, easily. I'd do this if it were me and a fruit beer. I reckon adding later and closer to bottling gives more flavour. Usual advice re sterilisation apply when popping the top, but save yourself some effort and chuck the chillis in primary.

Well, if it were me - I'd cut up some washed chilli, soak in vodka overnight and drop them in the primary. But if it were me, I'd probably not be using chilli in the first place... :)

As for finings, other than kettle finings, I don't bother either. I find time is the best clarifier. If a beer is a bit cloudy - does it really matter ? Not to me.

I find time is the best clarifier. If a beer is a bit cloudy - does it really matter ? Not to me.

Agreed - time in bottle heals all (most?) wounds! Cloudy doesn't bother me, raised on Coopers Pale & Sparkling I don't trust a commerical beer if it isn't cloudy. I think my Belgians & my Wheat taste better with a bit of yeast in them too. Only if you're using good yeast, but I reckon they add to the flavour.

Katie Put those Chillis in primary and secondary then put some in the bottle,I just luv them chillis. :icon_drool2:
In reality just pop some in the primary, it will be ok.Vodka them if you want, I would just soak them them in sanitiser or campden tabs if you feel the need or just pour boiling water over them quickly.At your stage of fermentation your wort is not the best place for bugs to grow.But you never know.Can't wait to taste one of these beers.I will book a table on the deck.
GB

Katie Put those Chillis in primary and secondary then put some in the bottle,I just luv them chillis. :icon_drool2:
In reality just pop some in the primary, it will be ok.Vodka them if you want, I would just soak them them in sanitiser or campden tabs if you feel the need or just pour boiling water over them quickly.At your stage of fermentation your wort is not the best place for bugs to grow.But you never know.Can't wait to taste one of these beers.I will book a table on the deck.
GB

That's what I needed to hear. I just need to find some hot chillis. I will be popping some chillis in your bottles for sure. Have to catch a train to the deck........I'll bring the egg curry.... thanks GB....

P.S... Goat thanks I missed your original post not to rack... :icon_cheers:

That's what I needed to hear. I just need to find some hot chillis. I will be popping some chillis in your bottles for sure. Have to catch a train to the deck........I'll bring the egg curry.... thanks GB....

P.S... Goat thanks I missed your original post not to rack... :icon_cheers:
Ah my juices are flowing.The little Thai chilli from the supermarket are just right heat wise per bottle but thats before any other fermenter additions so I guess it will be a suck it and see affair. NO Habinero's I dont wanta mega death beer.
GB

Had a taste of this from the fermenter last night and Im so very happy with it the heat is just perfect. I think I have cracked it!

I did another one of these brews on Sunday and changed a few things. I was given some really hot chillis (apparently) I put 25grams of them in. The aroma gives you the impression its going to burn but all I get is chilli flavour. Anyhow its only three days in the fermenter I leave it.

I am so looking forward to the first one though... Oh and Interloper 3grams of kaffir lime leaves for a 23litre batch is perfect!

I am so looking forward to the first one though... Oh and Interloper 3grams of kaffir lime leaves for a 23litre batch is perfect!

wow, looks like my perfume musk lolly brew will be sitting until next xmas then! I used mayb 15gms?

no wonder it tastes like lolly water!

Hey Guys & Katie,

Well my Kaffir Lime tree is going nuts out the front and my chilli's are just about ready to pick so this thread has inspired me enough to give it a whirl,
going to add the Kaffir Lime Leaf & Chilli with 3 minutes to go, still not sure how much chilli to use as i don't want it to over power the kaffir so i'm thinking go with half the amount, i don't really want these ingredients to stand out and be easily detectable so i'll start from here and adjust by taste.

Chilli & Kaffir Lime Leaf Summer Ale

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 27.00 Wort Size (L): 27.00
Total Grain (kg): 6.10
Anticipated OG: 1.050 Plato: 12.48
Anticipated EBC: 10.2
Anticipated IBU: 20.7
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
90.2 5.50 kg. Ale Malt Australia 1.038 7
9.8 0.60 kg. JWM Wheat Malt Australia 1.040 4

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
13.00 g. Magnum Pellet 13.10 20.7 60 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
3.00 gm Kaffir Lime Fruit 3 Min.(boil)
1.50 gm Chilli Spice 3 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1056 Amercan Ale/Chico

Hey Rob....

I found 3 grams of leaf was perfect not to overpowering... though I put it straight into the fermenter which stuffed the head on it.... I had previously done this brew with a coopers kit same way and the head was fine! WTF!

Not sure how much flavour from the lime you will extract from 3gms in the boil...I put 20grams of chilli from memory in my first batch not to hot but has a strong vegetable taste. I did two different ones and have still have lots left as there not session beer but may revisit them tonight.

I tired to hard on these brews I think! Though I have no doubts you will nail it!

P.S.... what shits me is there both a fantastic beer underneath I did that part right. I also quite like Mt Hood as a hop... same grain bill as you have.... :p

Cheers
Katie

Do you deseed or throw the seeds in ? Chilli cooked or raw or steeped in Vodka ?

I am just waiting to give this one a try with a Coopers Mex or something similar as the base? or open to any suggestions.

Best kit beer I ever did was a Coopers Mex with 6 chillis and a small handful of kaffir lime leaves....

Just chuck into primary seeds and all!

Do you deseed or throw the seeds in ? Chilli cooked or raw or steeped in Vodka ?

I am just waiting to give this one a try with a Coopers Mex or something similar as the base? or open to any suggestions.

Back