Chilli & Kaffir Lime Leaf Summer Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katherine

Reaction score
Saturday I have planned to do a Summer Ale with Chilli & kaffir Lime Leaf...

I have the grain sorted.

4.5kg Pale Ale Malt
0.4kg Torrefied Wheat

I wanted to use Mt Hood for the hops but can't get my hands on them.

Ive brewed this beer before using a kit and the kaffir lime leaf gives off lots of aroma and flavour. Takes about 3 months in the bottle for the flavours to combine.

Any suggestions on what hops for bittering to use.?

Cheers

Katie :D

I reckon Nelson Sauvin would throw some really nice citrusy flavours in with your lime & kaffir if you could get some. If it was me, I'd only bitter to about 20 IBU though.

yeah I thought about that as I have Nelson flowers at the moment... Have a Summer Ale with nelson in the fermenter at the moment. Have not tried the hop as yet first time.

I reckon Nelson Sauvin would throw some really nice citrusy flavours in with your lime & kaffir if you could get some. If it was me, I'd only bitter to about 20 IBU though.

how many, and what do you do with the lime leaves? I've messed around with chilli (got the volume set for that), and thrown lemon in (but without much of a result) , but hadn't thought of the lime leaves...

A small handful cut up, along with the chilli's I just throw them in the fermenter before I pitch the yeast. 6 to 8 or even less will do. But you need to wait for 3 months in the bottle for the flavours to combine. It's very very perfumey and sickly at first. But interesting experiment to test a bottle weekly as the lime and kaffir really seperate. But after awhile they combine beautifully. Best kit I ever did. Trying it for the first time AG... Im excited!

But you need to wait for 3 months in the bottle for the flavours to combine.

I don't think I've had a brew stay in my house that long... especially now I keg.

I use dried chillis now, get's rid of the "capsicum" flavour and just leaves the heat.

Hey Katie,

How about Souther Cross? Good bittering (high %aa) and very slightly citrus character.

Then again, Nelson Sauvin might be a winner too. Passionfruit and kaffir lime - Mmmmmmm! :p

Craftbrewer has some Mt Hood or you could try some Liberty, it is along the same line.

I don't think I've had a brew stay in my house that long... especially now I keg.

I use dried chillis now, get's rid of the "capsicum" flavour and just leaves the heat.

yeah I've had the debate fresh chillis vs dried... Ive never had a problem with the fresh ones throwing to much vegetable flavour. But I have two days to think about it. My previous chilli beers were perfectly balanced just enough heat down the back of your throat with out burning your bot bot! I love lots of heat in my food but beer. I want a first quencher!

Well I wouldnt recommend using the kaffir lime leafs then they need mellowing. That is why you only need one or two in a curry or stir fry. There awesome! Two more days to brew day...

Craftbrewer has some Mt Hood or you could try some Liberty, it is along the same line.

yeah I know.. I just wanted to support my local hbs at the moment. when I have a bigger order I do a bulk hop buy. Ill check out Liberty though.

Thanks guys...

Aussie Galaxy !!! Fresh citrus aroma.

did you get the 10kg bag katie ?

why not go really thai and chuck in some lemongrass too? coriander leaf? imagine if beer had been invented in south east asia.
perhaps steer clear of the fish sauce.

Coriander leaf may not work too well as there are less aromatics in it than in the seeds, for brewing purposes. Chances are the result would be a bit grassy (cellulose fibre, euglena or similar colonisation, etc).

Lemongrass may work if macerated and distilled, but that's a lot of stuffing around. It too would have risks of contamination from cellulose fibre, etc.

Or I could be talking out of my, as Katie calls it, bot bot. :D

Cheers - Fermented.

Coriander leaf may not work too well as there are less aromatics in it than in the seeds, for brewing purposes. Chances are the result would be a bit grassy (cellulose fibre, euglena or similar colonisation, etc).

Lemongrass may work if macerated and distilled, but that's a lot of stuffing around. It too would have risks of contamination from cellulose fibre, etc.

Or I could be talking out of my, as Katie calls it, bot bot. :D

Cheers - Fermented.

i've never tried brewing with either but i have had a lemongrass beer that showed potential for the stuff:
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/hop-back-taiphoon/12464/

Katie...

Here are some suggestions:
Throw the Kafa lime leaves and chillie in the last 3mins of the boil.
The kafa Lime leaves work better with some heat.

You could go for Chinook as Bittering with a little Chinook & Some Amarillo for aroma/flavour.

You can add more chillie/kafa lime leaves in secondary if you need to.

A nice Saison yeast would go well ....
Hope this helps.

Now im really liking the look of this.

Its way way outside the square.

saison yeast............ dry crisp tart.

Awsome

Katie........... how much of the lime leaves are you using in what volume and what chilli and how much.

i love no rules brewing :)

cheers

Tony - i have VSS 3864 Saison Wyeast - it ferments peppery - really different and nice...

I add my kaffir leaf (small handful) a few mins before the end of boil. I have found you need to compensate for the oils as it kills the head pretty quick.

If it is oily - then you wouldn't you be better adding it earlier so that the oils get a chance to boil off.

Latest posts

Back