Chilli Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey I like the sound of that.
mmmm, may even get me cooking in the kitchen rather than just making beer and pouring drinks :D

Doc

fergiej said:
<snip> way to hot, and I like hot and spicy food.

I did like the flavour and will try this again with smaller chillies.
but, don't chillies have a 'set' amount of 'hotness' in them? ie a tiny chilli is very concentrated with 'hotness' and, when it grows big the 'hotness' spreads out (more flesh same amount of 'hotness')

i think thats arough idea of how it goes, you might need to try the same 'mass' of chilli's but from fewer bigger chilli's... :)

Indy said:
fergiej said:
<snip> way to hot, and I like hot and spicy food.

I did like the flavour and will try this again with smaller chillies.
but, don't chillies have a 'set' amount of 'hotness' in them? ie a tiny chilli is very concentrated with 'hotness' and, when it grows big the 'hotness' spreads out (more flesh same amount of 'hotness')

i think thats arough idea of how it goes, you might need to try the same 'mass' of chilli's but from fewer bigger chilli's... :)
Depends entirely on the strain of chilli :)

Sounds interesting about adding chilli to beer :)

Just a question.

How would you go about making a chilli beer in a keg system??

Would I put a few chillis in the bottom of the keg after racking into it?, or would the chilli become to strong in a keg?

Nothing to do with beer but related to chillis. I remember an occasion when my dad decided that he'd remove some of the heat from a load of birdseyes by frying them on the stovetop.

Pretty soon we were all outside the house so we could see and breathe and we stayed outside for a wee while.

cheers
reg

Doc said:
Guidance is what I need. I don't want to go overboard like I did with the first (and only) beer I added coffee too :lol:
Vinds said:
Step 1. Make any regular beer - I find it works best with lighter ales and draft style beers.

Step 2. Buy some chillies. Fresh, packet, dried, whatever. I have a big packet of dried ones from the local Coles.

Step 3. When bottling time comes around, drop a chilli into the bottle after lightly scoring the skin.

Step 4. Age! The longer the more disturbing.

Of course this is a crude method - you get an uneven distribution of flavour and heat as some chillies are hotter than others
ok i'm thinking about step 2 - 3 - 4... :unsure:

you seem to have plenty of fresh chillis...
what if you did put them into your secondary and not each bottle...

each beer would get ~the same heat;
you would need to add more chillis;
but you could do the aging in the secondary (less time in there, so more chillis needed)

Vinds, how long in a bottle until the beer is warm; hot; disturbing?
also do you make about 35 beers with 600ml bottles?

what if doc put ~50 scraped chillis in the secondary for 14 days, do you think it would be warm?
what do you think if he choped them up? :wacko:
(maybe only chop up ~15 :ph34r: )

I say use 25-35 crushed habaneros in secondary and age it for 3-4 weeks.

Muahaha.. muahahahhaahahhahha

:blink:

kook said:
I say use 25-35 crushed habaneros in secondary and age it for 3-4 weeks.

Muahaha.. muahahahhaahahhahha

:blink:
You are a cruel cruel man :)

I have a little habanero plant that has just borne fruit. It has all of 2 chillis on it. Should be quite enough for 20 litres, I reckon. But as I've said before, chillies on my plate, beer in my glass. Mix in stomach.

i actually think that habanero's might not be the best pick for a chilli beer... eg they have a very fruity taste.. depends if you are going for heat or flavour.. perhaps a blend of chillis.. i'd guess at 5-7 red thai chillis and one habanero.. or around 10 thai... especially if you are going to include the seeds... actually that would be about right, unless you were including the seeds.. then you might get a bit hot..

i take no responsibility though :)

Little tip to anyone slicing habaneros for cooking:

WEAR GLOVES.

No really. WEAR THEM.

My hands have been burning for nearly an hour now. I've tried washing them in milk, i've tried washing them in oil, nothing seems to work.

kook said:

WEAR GLOVES.

No really. WEAR THEM.

My hands have been burning for nearly an hour now. I've tried washing them in milk, i've tried washing them in oil, nothing seems to work.
Careful when you go to the loo kook!
Ouch!

You'll also learn not to pick your nose or rub your eyes.

Habaneros are farking excellent!

PostModern said:
Careful when you go to the loo kook!
Ouch!

You'll also learn not to pick your nose or rub your eyes.

Habaneros are farking excellent!
I thought about the loo thing ahead, infact everytime I make my chilli I think ahead in that aspect. A small tub of yoghurt before and after the meal seems to help :) I think it was you that advised me of that.

I used 4 habaneros (small), aprox 3 sliced large green jalapenos and 1 teaspoon of megadeath sauce for the chilli addition to the dish. The thing is, it was hot, but it wasnt as hot as last time (1 1/2 tablespoons of mega death, same amount of jalapenos, no habaneros). Ohwell :)

Theyre damn good chillis, happy I managed to find them. If anyone in WA is looking for them, Action in Innaloo has them fresh in packs of about 10.

kook said:

WEAR GLOVES.

No really. WEAR THEM.

Looks like somebody didn't believe my post above regarding this. :p

Well, you can't say you weren't warned :lol:

Cheers,
Pete

:chug:

Well guys, I tried my first chilli beer last night. I had put a single chilli in two bottles of an american pale ale and left them for three months. It was surprisingly good! It started off with a normal beer flavour, followed by a hoppy/chilli aftertaste. Then about ten seconds later, the heat kicked in. Not mouth-numbingly hot, but hot enough to make you notice. The combination of cold, refreshing beer with a hot aftertaste was surprisingly satisfying. I had it with a big bowl of chilli con carne, corn chips and guacomale. Perfect!

- Snow

Snow, Too easy! I'm gonna try this next bottling day.

Tell me, did you use very hot or mild chillis? I have four different types of chillis in my vege patch, all with plenty of fruit and each a different heat rating. I might try one of each.

Worth a quick boil to sterilise or just whack em in?

Deebee, I experimented with 2 types. One very hot birds eye in one bottle and a medium heat black chilli in the other. I only gave them a rinse with cold water and then scored the sides of the chillis with a sharp knife before popping them in the bottles. Strangely, the black chilli ended up being hotter than the birds eye (it was twice the size), but had negligible chilli flavour, and the birds eye wasn't quite as hot, but had great flavour.

I just bottled my sparkling ale last night and put a few chillis in some bottles again. This time I cleaned them with rubbing alcohol first, just to be safe.

Cheers - Snow.

Guys,

I tried this ONCE.

I was bottling using Grolsch swingtops and added one whole chilli to one of the bottles - just to find out. I used a little rocket chilli, about 25mm long that I just dropped whole into the bottle.

Some few months later I tried it. Now I like chilli and I'm not adverse to very hot dishes but &^%$# I couldn't go near this. It was just far too much and after a couple of swigs I've put the bottle back in the fridge and will use it as a marinade on a bar-b-que or the like.

I'll probably try it again but will use only half of one of these or maybe a less fire-rated chilli.

Interesting taste though, hot and cold :D

Trev

OK,
since i love my chilli, I will be adding some sort of chilli to a few bottles come next bottling time. I've been meaning to do this for a while but havent gottne around to it yet. I am very curious to see how it goes in a beer.

cheers

I have added small whole chili to a mead. . .flavor, no excessive heat

Otherwise, slit chili open, remove seeds & pith, cut into small pieces, one piece a bottle

Doesn't take alcohol long to dissolve the heat part of a chili

Jovial Monk

there are a few commercial chilli beers on the market that i have heard of, but i have only tried one.

it was from the sail and anchor brewery in fremantle. not a bad beer and it had the taste of green chillis and a decent bit of warmth.

would reccommend it if chilli was your thing.

Latest posts

Back