Chilli Ale no secondary

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhsbaker

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am going to brew a Chilli Ale on the weekend (Pale ale with chilli added after primary fermentation).

I am following a recipe for this one, which states to ferment ale in primary then rack onto chilli in secondary. Is there any reason not to just put chillis straight into primary after fermentation has finished? Chillis will be roasted and let to cool in a sanitised container prior to adding to beer.

Regards,
James

I'd think yes to adding them to primary. For me now I only add Chili for the last minute or whirl of a boil. I don't like messing with secondary's or opening a finished brew to toss things in etc.
Thinking now I have successfully wet/dry hopped in the keg you could do the same with baked chili I'd think. I have put in dryed chili in each bottle years ago it worked ok too.
Opening some of these bottles 2 years later they were VERY highly carbonated but not gushers. Totally different beer after bottled for up to 2 years they were very fruity.

Latest posts

Back