Chilli And Lime Ceverza

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuggetron

Reaction score
ok
so ive been reading about chilli ceverza and it sounds pretty enticing
thinking ill give it a go

im going to use:
the coopers ceverza tin with the yeast supplied
either 5 birds eye chillis or 2 jalpenos chopped
one lime skin

thinking of putting 2.2 litres and the chillis and lime skin into a saucepan and boiling that down to 2 litres and then putting that in for the hot water to dissolve the can contents then follow the normal instructions

issues:
its hot outside, i dont have an old broken down fridge to keep the temp constant... not yet anyways
i was thinking if i put it in a tub of water and throw some towels over it to let it cool it down, throw in a bit of ice every so often to keep it cool
will that keep the temperature low enough and long enough to brew it nicely

also
i understand any sugar increases alcohol content, so was wondering if anyone has used palm sugar, would add some nice flavour and sticks to the asain influence

thoughts?

ok
so ive been reading about chilli ceverza and it sounds pretty enticing
thinking ill give it a go

im going to use:
the coopers ceverza tin with the yeast supplied
either 5 birds eye chillis or 2 jalpenos chopped
one lime skin

thinking of putting 2.2 litres and the chillis and lime skin into a saucepan and boiling that down to 2 litres and then putting that in for the hot water to dissolve the can contents then follow the normal instructions

issues:
its hot outside, i dont have an old broken down fridge to keep the temp constant... not yet anyways
i was thinking if i put it in a tub of water and throw some towels over it to let it cool it down, throw in a bit of ice every so often to keep it cool
will that keep the temperature low enough and long enough to brew it nicely

also
i understand any sugar increases alcohol content, so was wondering if anyone has used palm sugar, would add some nice flavour and sticks to the asain influence

thoughts?

If you want a hint of lime in you cerveza buy a tin of Cortes cerveza. It has a hint of lime but isn't overpowering. The guy I work with mad the standard kit with US05 and it came out perfect IMO. It was so good I have the same in a fermenter right now, the perfect lawnmower beer. Just add the chilli. Before I tasted this one I was thinking of adding some schweppes lime juice cordial like they use at pubs/clubs to the coopers kit. Not sure how that would go. Not going to bother now as I really like the cortes cerveza.

how are you fermenting yours, on the concrete floor? thinking the coldness in garage might be enough for one last brew before summer hits

I've had a look around and think I might try the same recipe. However, I will be leaving the lime out and just add it to the glass.

yer im thinking taking the lime out and using lemon skin since mum got about 20 lemons the size of soccer balls haha
bit worried about the possibility of it overpowering and destroying a whole batch, might go with you and just throw it in the bottle when drinking
any thought on the palm sugar?

how are you fermenting yours, on the concrete floor? thinking the coldness in garage might be enough for one last brew before summer hits

I have a shower cubicle tiled under my house. I have 3 brews going ATM. They're sitting on 20-22 degrees. I concrete floor in a cool place should help. I just bought a big tub so as it gets hotter I'm going to fill it with water and sit the fermenter in that and rotate a couple of frozen ice blocks (Esky brand ones) down the sides to keep the temp at around 18-20 degrees. I think I read it on here somewhere. but am yet to try it.

haha all good just brought a working fridge for 25 bucks
was gunna buy a mini bim or something and fill it with water and do the ice thing, soaked towels etc etc

so i put the brew down yesterday and it was black like a stout, i was crapping myself thinking something reacted badly but i left it to do its thing
checked it today about 35 hours later and its a nice corona yellow with about an inch to an inch and a half of foam, it looks as if its bubbling, i pre pitched the yeast for the first time, and it appears that it turns the sugar in to alcohol heaps quicker, previously i experienced a lag period, and for something that is no effort at all i highly reccommend pre pitching the yeast especially for the tin yeast

ummm chucking the yeast in a coffee cup with luke warm water and sugar, dunno if ur ment to do that but whenever i make bread or pizza dough i do that and it always rises therefore yeast is always active
so figured ill give it a go

Latest posts

Back