BIAC - Brew in a Cube

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SergeMarx

Reaction score
Here's tomorrow's plan.

1x 15l cube
2.2 kg LDME
15 litres boiling water
25g Citra

Method: Put everything in the cube. Lag with blankets to keep hot as long as possible for maximum possible hop isomerization.

Pitch when cool.

I was thinking of adding some steeping grains to the equation, but I figure this will be a decent enough experiment without them.

nb: 15l because i only have that much DME, and that'll give me a 1.050 batch.

Very interesting. Not just because of the method but I have a 15l cube too.

Interesting concept. Beats boiling & cooling the wort.
Might get a cube.

Bacteria grows best between 5 and 65 degrees. Try to limit how long you have it in this range.

Well that was easy. All lumps dissolved without any help (no shaking required) and the cube temp held over 80c for the past hour (I popped it in a big esky to keep it warm)

Getting the malt in the cube was a bit tricky until I rigged up a paper funnel, then no issues. This one is destined for the keg, so I'll report back in about 10 days with a taste test... deffo looks promising! Excluding the water heat up time (about 40 mins in my urn), this took less than 5 minutes to bang together.

Now to keep going with the re-iterated mash RIS that is going to be my entire day by the looks.

update #1 - Just had a taster of the wort. perfect as far as i can tell. Nice bitterness coming through, and plenty of hop aroma / flavour.

Back