Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I had enough chilli stocks and time between catching up on 6 weeks of mowing to make another batch of sauce.

My goal is to get a finish similar to Byron Bay Chilli Co Mango Habanero sauce, which to my palate is basically hot hab zing with a background of sweet mango.

So to have another go at it, here is the: Apricot Chilli Sauce. (no mangoes around due to the floods/ rain :( )

First in the processor were Habs (orange) and some dried red chillies (posted a pic a couple of weeks ago)
I added a heap of mint too. Vietnamese and regular. HEAPS of it...

DSCF6073_1.JPG

Then I added these dried green chillies. They were salted. And needed to be de-stemmed. I was going to let the food processor do that, but it was like chewing hemp rope when you got your teeth into one of them@

DSCF6074_1.JPG

Here's them all de-stemmed

DSCF6075_1.JPG

Prior to adding wine vinegar and applying a low heat. Like the united colours of Benetton :p

DSCF6076_1.JPG

A tin of apricots to be mashed - all the juice went in the pot to simmer away. This tin was 875g. I'd go more next time for the sweetness. In my last sauce I had small 100gm passionfruit pulp... hardly taste the sweetness.

DSCF6077_1.JPG

The mash looks like this.... and even though I consider myself 'HARD CORE' I use the the extractor fans and range hood. It feels like getting the good news from the capsicum spray by the old Bill at the Big Day Out.

How does it taste? HOT... salty (green dried chillies had sea salt on them), I've not noticed the apricots yet, but will let the chilli wort settle.

DSCF6078_1.JPG

And finally, I have a couple of Bishops Hats drying out on my commercial dehydrator. When I use seeds for myself, I usually dry them in the skin, and the tear open to plant them in the soil.
I'll post some of these if anyone wants some very, very mild chillis that breed like cane toads.

DSCF6080_1.JPG

Then I added these dried green chillies. They were salted. And needed to be de-stemmed. I was going to let the food processor do that, but it was like chewing hemp rope when you got your teeth into one of them@

View attachment 43515

That looks like a bag of mummified mice or something :icon_vomit:

The mash looks like this.... and even though I consider myself 'HARD CORE' I use the the extractor fans and range hood. It feels like getting the good news from the capsicum spray by the old Bill at the Big Day Out.

How does it taste? HOT... salty (green dried chillies had sea salt on them), I've not noticed the apricots yet, but will let the chilli wort settle.

View attachment 43519

And finally, I have a couple of Bishops Hats drying out on my commercial dehydrator. When I use seeds for myself, I usually dry them in the skin, and the tear open to plant them in the soil.
I'll post some of these if anyone wants some very, very mild chillis that breed like cane toads.

View attachment 43520
Looking good mate,
I'll swap you some Bonda Ma Jaques seeds for some Bishops Hats seed if your are intrested.

Cheers
Shonks

Looking good mate,
I'll swap you some Bonda Ma Jaques seeds for some Bishops Hats seed if your are intrested.

Cheers
Shonks

Sounds good shonks - these will be dry in a few days, then I'll post them over to you.

Cheers,

InCider

Before I went to work today, I had some time (amongst first day back at school) to 'keg' my chilli sauce. I use 1.25l PET bottles. Treat them like you would a beer bottle and you're fine. The apricot hab sauce filled 1.24 of the bloody thing! If you've seen the pics above, it didn't look much, and I was surprised by the volume. I let it steep overnight, then reheated prior to bottling.

Here's the best way to fill a PET bottle:

Get the biggest diameter funnel you can get the fit the neck of the pet bottle. Make sure you can get an airtight seal - either by tape or downward pressure.

Squeeze the bottle, fill the funnel and allow the bottle to suck the chilli sauce through the funnel as it regains it's shape. Repeat.

It sure beats having to puree everything to fit in the neck of the bottle.

Before I went to work today, I had some time (amongst first day back at school) to 'keg' my chilli sauce. I use 1.25l PET bottles. Treat them like you would a beer bottle and you're fine. The apricot hab sauce filled 1.24 of the bloody thing! If you've seen the pics above, it didn't look much, and I was surprised by the volume. I let it steep overnight, then reheated prior to bottling.

Here's the best way to fill a PET bottle:

Get the biggest diameter funnel you can get the fit the neck of the pet bottle. Make sure you can get an airtight seal - either by tape or downward pressure.

Squeeze the bottle, fill the funnel and allow the bottle to suck the chilli sauce through the funnel as it regains it's shape. Repeat.

It sure beats having to puree everything to fit in the neck of the bottle.
Clever

PM me your postage details and I'll send some seeds over

Cheers
Shonks

Tony & All....

I had a tasting session today too.....about 6months ago Tony sent me some 7pot seeds..THANK YOU TONY.

Well, I have one nicely growing 7pot tree (will get pics soon) and my bro has 6 of em growing...anyway, my first bad boy 7pot ripened up a few days ago, it is the most evil looking chilli I have ever seen...the other ones on the tree dont look AS BAD...but this one is just wrong...its like something out of Lord of the Ring Stingers...forged in the deepest most evil of places....

Anyway...I took a 5mm slice outta it and the chilli is as Tony describes below, thick, fleshy, yellow inside....I was SHITTING BRICKS...then I thought..F#$K it....CHEW CHEW CHEW...GULP...

What...wait..not that bad....ummm...wait...HOLY F#$KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK BANG!!! Shit...someone put me out...I am on fire!!! Head exploding, drooling, just INSANE chilli sensations, but after 10mins of insanity and wanting to cut my tongue out, it left a nice citrusy taste that would compliment many dishes...I will use these in a few of my thai salads...eg Som Tum,

I have two kids, 2.5yrs old and 12 months old, I am SERIOUSLY thinking of somehow locking this tree up, if they were to get a hold of the 7pots, then there would be real trouble.

Anyway, Tony, thank you for the seeds, I dont have any other chillies growing at the moment, so I think it shouldnt be cross pollinated, so I will save some seeds for later/sharing/etc....

It is the scariest, hottest, most evil chilli I have ever come across...and I LOVE IT. Thank You Tony.

Rendo
7pot.jpg7pot_inside.jpg

Had a tasting session thisarvo.

First up was the ripe Devils Tongue. Cut a nice slice and chewed it up.

BANG! Instant punch in the throat! then the lips and front of the mouth was attacked. My tingue sizzled for a while and i drooled lots. Way hotter than a habanero. I can eat habs whole but a 5mm slice had me dancing. Great flavour. Tasted fruity with a lemon/spicy character. Great chilli packing a fantastic assult of heat and flavour.

Had a 15 min break and cut the ripe 7 Pod in half for a look. Lots of yellow placental tissue. smelt similar to the Bhuts but not as pungent. a bit more peppery if anything. Much thicker fleshed as well and lots of juice. That alone scared me!

sliced of a chunk and chewed it up. I handled the Bhuts ok......... this will be ok as well........ right?

WRONG!

Hoooooooooly Sheep Shit!

It took a good minuite to build. I got nothing at first.... for about 10 to 15 seconds and i thought, oh no, what have i done!

I drooled, and drooled, and drooled over the sink, non stop for about 5 minuites. I think the Bhut made me spit a few times.

I found myself shaking my legs around ,doing a bit of a pain dance. I withdrew into a better place and thought about a mouth full of icecream.

The heat seemed to soak into the flesh in my mouth and it just wouldnt let go. 10 minuites later i was red in the face, dripping sweat and kind of spaced out. I felt a bit woozy and happy if you know what i mean. and i was sober!

The most extreme chilli i have ever tried. And the scary looking ones are yet to ripen on another plant!

cheers

I had to hide the Habs from the kids, but 7 pots.... FFS! :lol: Might have to grow them at a neighbours house!

Tony & All....

I had a tasting session today too.....about 6months ago Tony sent me some 7pot seeds..THANK YOU TONY.

Well, I have one nicely growing 7pot tree (will get pics soon) and my bro has 6 of em growing...anyway, my first bad boy 7pot ripened up a few days ago, it is the most evil looking chilli I have ever seen...the other ones on the tree dont look AS BAD...but this one is just wrong...its like something out of Lord of the Ring Stingers...forged in the deepest most evil of places....

Anyway...I took a 5mm slice outta it and the chilli is as Tony describes below, thick, fleshy, yellow inside....I was SHITTING BRICKS...then I thought..F#$K it....CHEW CHEW CHEW...GULP...

What...wait..not that bad....ummm...wait...HOLY F#$KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK BANG!!! Shit...someone put me out...I am on fire!!! Head exploding, drooling, just INSANE chilli sensations, but after 10mins of insanity and wanting to cut my tongue out, it left a nice citrusy taste that would compliment many dishes...I will use these in a few of my thai salads...eg Som Tum,

I have two kids, 2.5yrs old and 12 months old, I am SERIOUSLY thinking of somehow locking this tree up, if they were to get a hold of the 7pots, then there would be real trouble.

Anyway, Tony, thank you for the seeds, I dont have any other chillies growing at the moment, so I think it shouldnt be cross pollinated, so I will save some seeds for later/sharing/etc....

It is the scariest, hottest, most evil chilli I have ever come across...and I LOVE IT. Thank You Tony.

Rendo

hehe awsome!

I grow mine locked up in the pool yard....... safe from kids.

One of my wifes friends came over last year and her 4 year old got hold of a Bhut Jalokia. He bit it in half and quickly realised his error.

He was led inside by his older sister, holding the chilli by the stalk saying...... Toooooonnnnnnny.... what do we do?

He was standing there, mouth wide open, eyes like dinner plates, but nothing else, no tears, nuthin!

I said to him, mate, there is nothing we can do, your just going to have to deal with it.

He said... ok and walked off.

everytime i saw him after that he would say "Hi Tony........ i wont eat your chilli again" as a greeting :)

cheers

hahaha, i took one of the seven pots to work....just ONE was more than enough to down over a dozen people!! :) :) hahaha, amazing.

I think I ended up eating a quarter of one, boy its HOT, but I reckon I could get use it to it with enough practice, just dont think eating a whole one is really a wise thing to do (lots of twits on youtube do though)...

rendo

hehe awsome!

I grow mine locked up in the pool yard....... safe from kids.

Speaking of 7 pots fellas I have about 30 odd ripening and half a dozen in the freezer from my new batch since I was decimated by fruit fly not long ago. Wow - time flies and now have ripe and ripening 7 pots already. The pain is cometh! I cut open the ones that went into the freezer checking for maggots just in case and OH MY GOD the smell and 'sloppyness' of the placenta made my knees wobble. Knowing I will eat some bigger and juicer ones soon I just licked the knife. Stupid, stupid, stupid. felt like a 10 cm wide hot iron was on my tongue for 3o minutes and it then just throbbed for more. Awesome!

wait till you get some on you willy!

OK, I am going to ask a stupid question here, but does anyone plant and harvest chilis year round? I know it gets too cold for them here (Canberra) in the winter, but what if you bring them inside or keep them under cover?

OK, I am going to ask a stupid question here, but does anyone plant and harvest chilis year round? I know it gets too cold for them here (Canberra) in the winter, but what if you bring them inside or keep them under cover?

If you lived in tropical QLD you'd be right. But saying that some growers plants go dormant and spring back to life when it warms up. All my plants that ive tried to help through winter here just die....even indoors. Seal up that glass house you have on your back fence and you'll be able to extend their season by a couple of months either side of spring and winter. It'd be even better if it got full sun during winter too?
Cheers
Steve

Not sure how to keep them going in the cooler weather Pete & Steve, but we get some cold nights here in Landsborough, about an hour north of BNE. 5 degrees isn't cold my your standards, but it slows the chillis down a lot! :eek:

Thanks Shonks for the seeds mate - a great selection! :D and the Bishops will be on their way tomorrow. I've got a couple of plants of them, one of which must be 4 or 5 years old... kind of dies off a bit and comes back. They yield well over summer, and really slow in winter, but there are a few.

When I was in Ipswich for the flood clean up, I got a couple of birds eye type chillies. I've dried them out ( in my shirt over that weekend actually!) and planted them last week. Starting to germinate already. They had been under 2 meters of water, and were a nice grey colour... like they'd been galvanised.

InCider.

Yeah in North QLD they just keep producing but I think the variety also counts for high fruit. If you want chillis for cooking over the winter in Canberra, just collect as many as possible, freeze them then when you want blitz them into a chilli paste.

To keep em going in a glass house probably 30+ degrees with lots of light 12+ hours

Latest posts

Back