Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DrSmurto said:
6 days at 30C constant using the ferment fridge and got loads of chillis to germinate in
I so hate you.....

But each variety is different in how quickly it germinates, to how it grows, then how it fruits

Lemon AJI sprout and fruit quickly ( early in the season...like Xmas time ) ....Scorps take a bit longer....Tabasco...now that is a good bush

Ducatiboy stu said:
I so hate you.....

But each variety is different in how quickly it germinates, to how it grows, then how it fruits

Lemon AJI sprout and fruit quickly ( early in the season...like Xmas time ) ....Scorps take a bit longer....Tabasco...now that is a good bush
Very true. They all germinated easily and jalapeños are taking off in the greenhouse. The habs are sulking, far too cold. They've had only 1 set of leaves for weeks now.

All going in to wicking beds.

I'm a bit late this season.. last years Orange Hab and Butch T seem to have survived the winter and are showing signs of new life

Time to get some new ones into some jiffy pods this arvo too!

12033121_10156123567850088_6641863174574482046_n.jpg

Not a single chilli plant of mine survived this past winter. And it was the warmest we've had for a long time, didn't even get a proper frost at all, and I had them covered anyway.

The orange hab seeds from squashed and rotten challis are taking off very slowly. I have planted capsicums in my chillies places, I have plenty of chilli sauce, sriracha sauce and frozen whole chillies so I'm not stressing.

I pretty much gave away my entire sauce stock over winter without thinking to save myself enough haha so I'm looking forward to whipping up some fresh ones soon

Anyone else got reaper pods already?

Was checking out my chilli pots yesterday arvo for the first time in a week or two -- got a dodgy Bunnings C annuum sitting nearby that has been fruiting for weeks now, but was surprised to see green reapers so soon:

2HYXvH3.jpg

TxI9547.jpg

(Sorry for shitty quality, the camera on my phone sucks)

Pods already!!!????

You're definitely in Qld. I can't even get my seeds to germinate yet down here in Vic.... :(

In an emergency/late start you can get some decent variety seedlings ready to go from Bunnings. Different stores have different stocks I've noticed. Some interesting varieties etc.

MartinOC said:
Pods already!!!????

You're definitely in Qld. I can't even get my seeds to germinate yet down here in Vic.... :(
Get yourself some short fluro tubes and set up a little seed raising gig in your shed. Here is the wife's set up that had us giving away heaps of tomato seedlings months ago.
1479812441295.jpg

The seedling trays sit in a large tray with a few ml of water in the bottom. The lights are on a timer to provide a diurnal cycle of heat/light. The whole thing is up on a shelf in the shed to protect from rats/snails/etc.

Danscraftbeer said:
In an emergency/late start you can get some decent variety seedlings ready to go from Bunnings. Different stores have different stocks I've noticed. Some interesting varieties etc.
Yeah I got inpatient last year and got some plants from Bunnings. Got heaps of good quality Orange Habaneros & Jalapenos from them.

Trying to stick with seeds this year but the ones that do sprout are under attack from some annoying animal that likes to eat new leaves.
I've got some on top of the hot water system (a tip from this thread) which not only are staying warm but have so far not been consumed either.

My second year Serranos from Bunnings are going absolutely nuts again - probably 60 or so pods growing between the two plants.

The Birds Eyes and Jalapeños are going well. Habs from a few years ago all died over winter (last time I let my parents look after anything). New Hab seedlings have just sprouted from seed - not expecting anything from them this year.

Picked up a small Rocoto seedling from Bunnings this year, and it's going ballistic. No fruit yet, but the plant is massive, and full of flowers. They still have a bunch at Bankstown, and are at least twice the size mine was when I bought it.

Yeah I think the craze for chillies is growing like Craft Beer. Masters had an impressive range of seedlings too. I've seen ranges of Trinidad Scorpions, Bhut Jolokia's, Naga's and other exotics that I never thought would be sold to the general public.

Looking forward to seeing Chocolate Trinidads in my garden this season. Yellow Ricoto, multi colored Habanero, just for the novelty of different colours ha.
I cant remember which of the Bunnings stores I got the seedlings from but if you treat them well they do very well. Get the individual potted seedlings.
Just don't disturb the roots when you de-pot them and transplant them into a big pot or bed etc. They love Organics so lots of compost and worms are the key too.
An organic tip is to dig out the hole for the transplant then toss in a handful of worm castings gunk from your own little worm farm. It will have worms in it too. Then place the de-potted chilli plant in and level the dirt, sprinkle the surrounding surface with Dynamic Lifter pellets. Mulch on top. Just keep moist with little watering, not too much.

I have a feeling that it may have been posted on here before, but has any growers found a difference between varieties on the time it takes them to show and grow, I have noticed this with tomato and chili plants and more recently with basil, lemon basil, 1st off the mark, followed by sweet basil, then red basil and holy basil is painfully slow a bit like white habaneros.

Latest posts

Back