Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grainer said:
Where des everyone get the plants from. id love to start a collection..love chillies

Just got Jalepenos and some garden variety so far..
There's a swap thread
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/70770-the-great-chilli-seed-swap-of-2013/
Even though I sent out 9 packages of seeds out, and never received the couple I was promised to get when they were ready :(

I ended up checking out the local fruit / vege supplies and just purchased a fresh chilli of the type I wanted. Threw it in the soil over winter and already its got some good sized chillis on it.

QldKev said:
There's a swap thread
Even though I sent out 9 packages of seeds out, and never received the couple I was promised to get when they were ready :(

I ended up checking out the local fruit / vege supplies and just purchased a fresh chilli of the type I wanted. Threw it in the soil over winter and already its got some good sized chillis on it.
Have heaps of Jalepenos I could collect seed from and a small chilli not sure of the name .. I'd send u some if u want em

was thinking of buying a whole heap but suppose if people are winning to share a few Id be up for that .. Id even return the favours once they had grown

Went and harvested some seeds..

I got about 16 packets with 20 Jalepeno seeds in each will swap

tazman1967 said:
Dont buy off Ebay... you never know what you will get.
Or if you will get , i bought some trinidad scorpion seeds off ebay never to be seen , glad i paid with paypal, i opened a dispute yesterday, so when i get the cash back will be looking at the links in this thread . And Punkin i sent you a PM re Naga Dorsets if you have some spare :unsure: Will send you some seeds of what i end up buying if you want .

thebeemann said:
Or if you will get , i bought some trinidad scorpion seeds off ebay never to be seen , glad i paid with paypal, i opened a dispute yesterday, so when i get the cash back will be looking at the links in this thread . And Punkin i sent you a PM re Naga Dorsets if you have some spare :unsure: Will send you some seeds of what i end up buying if you want .
LOL i did the same

thebeemann said:

No worries mate, i'll get some off to you. I don't need any seeds at this stage, still have stacks of Nagas and Orange Habs in the freezer and thai reds dried.
I planted Jalepenos from the swap thread to grow this year, i can see myself doing lots of ABT's and Chicken Bombs.

QldKev said:
There's a swap thread

That's a damn shame Kev. Pity people are sometiomes like that. I had a very successful swap and my swapee (kaiser soze? can't remember) was very generous with a stack of other seeds as well as the Jalepenos i was after.
Thank you to that kind person.

Right o time for a growing newbie question.

What's the best way to growing your seedlings?

I only ask because I have a shit track record in growing plants from seed.

This year I've made my own mix using coir and perlite. I like to use little punnets which i then transplant into larger pots but you can also plant direct into pots with potting mix. Keep em warm and moist to start with. Gentle watering can help not disturb the seeds eg. spray bottle.

Haven't gotten in on this swap yet but will be looking into it. Gotta check what seeds are left since i almost sowed them all.

Pretty keen for any of the 7 pot varieties.

If any of the usual suspects in Brisvegas want some Trinidad Scorpion Butch T seedlings, I have about 30 odd seedlings growing. bring your own pot and I'll sort you out.

For those that dont know, the Trinidad once held the title of the hottest chilli in the world (I think it is now second at 1.5 million scoville units).

Let me know.

Might take you up on that offer. I inherited a seedling but it was planted at the wrong time and is really struggling.

Wolfman said:
Right o time for a growing newbie question.

What's the best way to growing your seedlings?

I only ask because I have a shit track record in growing plants from seed.
I just buy a fairly advanced plant (say 20 cm) from a nursery or Bunnings and keep potting it on until it's in a pot about a foot wide, whatever size that is. Current prices of chillies it soon pays for itself and often comes pre loaded with fruit anyway.

However good post because I'm pretty much a novice myself at pot plants, regularly murder petunias etc. Last years' chilli plants have overwintered great and are springing back to life and getting fruit already. On another forum I recently learned that:

Chillies in pots should not be over fed or it kills them
They don't like wet feet, stress them now and again to increase fruit production
Don't give them much nitrogen.

I'd also appreciate advice from them wot knows as I think I've just about killed one of them with kindness.

Grainer said:
Where des everyone get the plants from. id love to start a collection..love chillies

Just got Jalepenos and some garden variety so far..
Masters hardware shops are now selling an excellent range of chilli seedlings.

Just got Jalepenos and some garden variety so far
Chilli stalls at monthly local markets usually have a pretty good variety of well developed plants.

Finally came upon a stall at Feast and Family Field day at Mount Eliza selling habanero and bhut jolokai plants!!!! Going in the garden today and some pretty nice hot sauce coming my way when they fruit - I am already sweating at the thought!

The stall is owned run by Clive Larkman who also runs the herb and chilli festival. www.herbchillifestival.com.au

Liam_snorkel said:
You should make your poppers recipe using a jolokia.
Some have asked my advice re doing poppers with Habaneros - I say definitely......................................................................................not! As for Jolokai I have no death wish.

Poppers have to be about the best thing there is I reckon, chomping down a couple as we speak.

Latest posts

Back