Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Halapeno bush has been decimated by catapillars. I had 1/2 a dozen nice large chillies ready to be picked and one morning I noticed a catapillar eating the last one. Also I have noticed leaves seem to go missing over night, almost like they have been cut of at the stem. Any ideas for solving this problem?

Cheers
Andrew

Perhaps just invite the catapillars to a Brewerhood get together,sounds like they would fit in just fine :p

Batz

My Halapeno bush has been decimated by catapillars. I had 1/2 a dozen nice large chillies ready to be picked and one morning I noticed a catapillar eating the last one. Also I have noticed leaves seem to go missing over night, almost like they have been cut of at the stem. Any ideas for solving this problem?

Cheers
Andrew

I have used tomato dust in the past and it worked but I now use a Pyrethium [spelling again <_< ] and garlic mix, it also stopped the ones eating my hops also.

I have used tomato dust in the past and it worked but I now use a Pyrethium [spelling again <_< ] and garlic mix, it also stopped the ones eating my hops also.

Thanks Bindi, I'll give it a go.

Ive grown chillis on n off for years now in me vege patch here in canberra. Unfortunately they die off in winter. A month ago I bought a habenero, which is now in a pot at my new house. Just wondering....do you need two plants to produce fruit? I have loads of white flowers but they just die and fall off?
Cheers
Steve

Ive grown chillis on n off for years now in me vege patch here in canberra. Unfortunately they die off in winter. A month ago I bought a habenero, which is now in a pot at my new house. Just wondering....do you need two plants to produce fruit? I have loads of white flowers but they just die and fall off?
Cheers
Steve

Not as far as I know. I just have the one plant if it produces heaps of fruit. Its not a hab but from memory they fruited OK with just one plant. I had to pull my hab out when the kids were little after I caught one of them crawling into the garden to get at the bright shiny orange things so its been 7 years since I has grew them. I must put one back in now they are old enough to know to leave them alone.

They do tend to drop their flowers if they get too dry or sunburned. That could be the problem.

Cheers
Dave

My orange habs are dropping heaps of flowers, but producing lots of fruit as well. There must be over 100 flowers on each plant and they are only a foot tall.

cheers

Orange_Habs_1.jpg

Orange_Habs_2.jpg

mmm, has anyone had any experience with fireworksfoods.com.au for ordering seeds? does anyone have anyone they'd like to recommend?

cheers, they look good.. time for some purple chilli love.."purple's a fruit"

Perhaps just invite the catapillars to a Brewerhood get together,sounds like they would fit in just fine :p

Batz

I will say right now, I will NEVER eat Inciders Rellenos after midnight EVER again. The thing is, we forgot about them and around midnight I reminded Incider about them and he went and heated them up. I think we chowed down about 1am or 1.30. I only ate two and woke up around 5:30am with a fire burning in my guts, I couldn't eat the great breakfast that the Sqyres dished up. I think Zizzle was in the same boat. Don't eat chillis after midnight.

cheers

Browndog

I have purchased my seeds for next year already. Im planning to grow these monsters in a greenhouse in easly spring to get them going for a good long summer growing season.
They are the some of the hottest chillis in the world running up more that 1,000,000 scolville heat units. A Habanero is about 200,000. Mere chicken feed!

http://www.chileseeds.co.uk/bih_jolokia_chilli_seeds.htm

I also got some Fatalli, Tabasco and White Bullet Habs.

All of the chillis i got this year that were suposed to be differen t habs turned out to be Naga Jolokia....... the bloody lot of them.

I now have about 8 of them growing.... and sprouting large quantities of chillies that are suposed to run in ar 800,000 scolville heat units. Will have to track down a good hot sauce recipe and a good madrass curry recipe :)

HAve goatsweed chillis, Rocoto's, Orange Habs and some broad leaved plants i think are chicolate habs going nuts so am very happy.

cheers

Hey Tony,

What a great garden you are going to have! Might have to drop in mid year on my way south... :D And thanks for the link.

Here is a pic of this arvos harvest. The rain here has kept the temp down around 23-26 so a lot cooler than they (the chillies!) want.

Only one Hab - and a small one, but some long green ones, and the ball red ones. One of my mass producing plants has lost over 30 chillies due to the wind/storms.

18cfc45f.jpg

The green ones have been getting a regular caning over the holidays in "Toad in the hole".

Chopped up with onion and cheese and delivered as a generous topping on both sides while cooking. Not really TITH, but, what a great name, and a great use of chillies.

"To some people, this recipe's name is Bull's-Eye. Others say it's a Picture-Frame Egg. Still others call it a Toad-in-the-Hole or a Frog-in-a-Pond. No matter what you call it, it's easy to make and fun to eat. To cook Egg Toast, you can fry the egg and bread in a pan or you can bake them in an oven. "

InCider - And yep, that's a Dora mug.

29c064b8.jpg

I will say right now, I will NEVER eat Inciders Rellenos after midnight EVER again. The thing is, we forgot about them and around midnight I reminded Incider about them and he went and heated them up. I think we chowed down about 1am or 1.30. I only ate two and woke up around 5:30am with a fire burning in my guts, I couldn't eat the great breakfast that the Sqyres dished up. I think Zizzle was in the same boat. Don't eat chillis after midnight.

cheers

Browndog

So true Browndog...so true....but they where yum...even better with the sour cream heaped on them...

Toast looks great mate...... I like hot toast :p

I have been moving mine in and out of shelter when storms come over...... it has saved them all so far..... not much i can do for the ones outside but they have been fine so far.

My Rocoto has dozens of red hot small capcicup like chillis forming up now that its finaly warmimg up and the goatsweed has hundreds of chillis on it. Cant wait for them all to turn red.... the plant will look like its on fire. This is a pic of just one of the small branches sticking out of it. THe plant is 4 foot high and climbing

cheers

Goatsweed_branch__824_x_549_.jpg

I have been moving mine in and out of shelter when storms come over...... it has saved them all so far..... not much i can do for the ones outside but they have been fine so far.

My Rocoto has dozens of red hot small capcicup like chillis forming up now that its finaly warmimg up and the goatsweed has hundreds of chillis on it. Cant wait for them all to turn red.... the plant will look like its on fire. This is a pic of just one of the small branches sticking out of it. THe plant is 4 foot high and climbing

cheers

Pure joy those little babies! :D

I'll have to spec up my chilli range late season and look after them into the next. What is the flavour of hte Rocoto like?

Sean

Dont know yet mate....... it hasnt been warm enough for enything to mature. Only jusy cracked the 30 deg mark here in january. Bloody rediculous.

They are suposed to taste great and be very hot. thick fleshed to cut up for salsa. Aparently they dont cross polinate either so i will keep you seeds if you want.

If you grow it.... its a long term plant. Its like a rose. It grows like mad and needs a trellace, will grow to 3 meters tall, mine is at 1.5 already and taking over the garden.

Im going to dig it out when it cools down and put it in a half wine barrel with a rellace for next year so i can over winter it. cut it back to nothing and it grows back again ,like a hop plant. The older it gets the better it fruits.

ITs starting to smother my goatsweed plant and its planted 1.5 meters away. going to have to get poles to hold up the branches with fruit on them. They are like peaches in size and weight. Havnt tried a ripe one yet.... still waiting but planing on hot salsa with some corn chips.

Chop a chilli with a few tomatoes, some spring onion, avacado, capcicum, basil and some lime juice........ MMMMMMMMMM

cheers

cheers

Tony - how come the chillis are growing upwards? Or is the pic upside down?
Cheers
Steve

P.S. My little habanero plant is now producing fruit...lots of em!

Hi steve... lots of chilli varieties do this..... they are known to grow 'Erect" i have 9 Naga Jolokia plants growing and one of them is producing erect chillies. I also hav one called bancock upright..... speaks for itsself.

Most of the ones im growing grow down but some grow up...... it depends on the type. The ones in the pic growing up are a rare type from the peruvian mountains called goatsweed and they are suposed to be bloody hot.

cheers

I'm sadly reporting the loss of my 10 year old Birdseye chilli plant :( The recent hot spell in Melbourne took care of it. 5 days this summer well into the 40s took it's toll. The good news is that there are 4 new plants at its base (self sown) really starting to take off! I've cut it back to a few inches above the soil in the hope that some vital tissue remains and I will bonsai it.

My recent order from (Chillibird) has come through and will be potted this weekend - Naga Jolokia, Poblano/Ancho and Yellow Cayenne for something different. My orange Habanero was flipped over in the wild winds of today, tossing it out of it's pot, but I think it should survive the insult. Plenty of flowers on it, but no fruit as yet - it was sown only about 3 months ago.

I look forward to a few things with this - getting to try Poblano/Ancho chillis for the first time, roasting up some stuffed Yellow Cayennes and seeing 2 mates eat raw Naga Jolokias and keep straight faces. One reckons he'll eat 2 no worries. Both are of Indian descent, but I don't think they'll be able to handle it. Resisting 1,000,000 Scoville Heat Units is a pretty tall ask in anyone's book, Curry or no Curry! My Birdseyes didn't seem to cut the mustard for one of them...

I might eventually post some pics if I can be bothered. I like my chillis, but to be honest, I can't see myself using Nagas in cooking. I think they'll be far too hot for me and most people I know. I can't handle it "red hot", but don't mind a fairly spicy dish. I prefer to taste my food.

[edit] My Birdseye chillis grow upwards too. Apparently reasonably common with the "hotter" thinner fruit chillis.

seeing 2 mates eat raw Naga Jolokias and keep straight faces. One reckons he'll eat 2 no worries. Both are of Indian descent, but I don't think they'll be able to handle it. Resisting 1,000,000 Scoville Heat Units is a pretty tall ask in anyone's book, Curry or no Curry!

Check out this insanity. :blink:
http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/ndtv/video...lt.aspx?id=5897

The link where I found this claims that they are Jolokia peppers.
Edit: http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/02/25/1856492.htm

Back