Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was at a work function on thursday and after all the offical stuff and the bar opened, the caterers brought out plates of appertisers. It looked like they had got some large mild chillis and marinaded them. Cut the end to make a cap, and stuffed it with a cream cheese. I thought these things were the best thing I'd ever tasted. I was going from table to table gobbling every one I could get my hands on.

cheers

Browndog

www.fireworksfoods.com.au for your exotic chilli seed and dried chilli requirements! Got some killer sauces there too

I love my chilli, I recently purchased some from the Byron Bay Chilli Company at the Easter Show and my frig it was hot, my mouth was on fire for about an hour after eating a small tiny blob of it.

I can't remember the name of it, but it was rated 10 out of 10 on their scale of chillis.

One of my favourite dishes [apart from burritos that are really really hot] is chilli & cheese pasta.

1 packet of Woolworths Select Cheese & Black Pepper pasta
250g mince beef
1 small onion
1 small tomato
pasta sauce
50/50 mix chilli flakes & black pepper.

Make the pasta up according to instructions and let simmer while you do the rest.

Fry the onions and tomatos in a lightly greased pan & whack in some chilli/black pepper mix [ground].
Throw in the beef and break it up with a spatula.
Cook until beef is just not pink anymore.
Throw in pasta sauce and simmer until desired consistency is met.
Add more chilli & black pepper mix.

Serve on top of the cheese & black pepper pasta.

Enjoy with a nice lager or two, bon appetit!

About midnight last night, I had a chilli beer from the US. Can't for the life of me remember it's name, but it had a jalapeno in the bottle.

Ferk it was hot! :rolleyes:

And only a Jalapeno! Crisp, well matured heat that lasted about 4 minutes. I shared it with a mate, and after we'd eaten the Jalapeno, (which was not hot at all) I looked over at him and said: "Good session beer?" to which he told me to go forth and multiply! :p

InCider.

I love my chilli, I recently purchased some from the Byron Bay Chilli Company at the Easter Show and my frig it was hot, my mouth was on fire for about an hour after eating a small tiny blob of it.

I can't remember the name of it, but it was rated 10 out of 10 on their scale of chillis.

was it the "turbo supercharge habenero paste" in a little square bottle? i bought some for a chilli beer. 1 heaped spoonful in 23 liters was enough for a warm tingle!!

G'day Brewers,

Let's talk about chillies! Here is a shedload I got from Screwtop this afternoon.
:party:

Sean, remember we picked the two habanero bushes clean two weeks ago, well had a pick this afternoon, have a chilli look at what these little suckers produce in 2 weeks in winter on the Sunny Coast. A few cayenne thrown in too, they've just about finished.

Holy Frijole
extinguish.gif

Habaneros.JPG

Hey Mike - good thing you picked on the node! :p

I've been laid up since 6am with a stonking migraine. It's the best hangover you ever had - but headache only. Haven't got to cook up yet. :(

What do you do to your plants? - I know you don't trim them (what was Peter Cundall thinking :blink: )

Tips please!

InCider.
Sean, remember we picked the two habanero bushes clean two weeks ago, well had a pick this afternoon, have a chilli look at what these little suckers produce in 2 weeks in winter on the Sunny Coast. A few cayenne thrown in too, they've just about finished.

Holy Frijole
extinguish.gif

View attachment 13152

About midnight last night, I had a chilli beer from the US. Can't for the life of me remember it's name, but it had a jalapeno in the bottle.

Ferk it was hot! :rolleyes:

And only a Jalapeno! Crisp, well matured heat that lasted about 4 minutes. I shared it with a mate, and after we'd eaten the Jalapeno, (which was not hot at all) I looked over at him and said: "Good session beer?" to which he told me to go forth and multiply! :p

InCider.

Sounds like Cave Creek Chilli Beer :eek: , one of the legendary worst beers in the world, try Floris Gaarden Chocolat Beer for another famously (for the wrong reasons) remarkable beer.

awsome !

Im planing on having red, chocolate and white jellybean hab's growing soon

cant wait

cheers

Sounds like Cave Creek Chilli Beer :eek: , one of the legendary worst beers in the world, try Floris Gaarden Chocolat Beer for another famously (for the wrong reasons) remarkable beer.
Hey Winkle - got the URL here from the cap - Chili Beer.com

Maybe that's why I've got a headache... :blink: my rectum - she's fine...

Hey Mike - good thing you picked on the node! :p

I've been laid up since 6am with a stonking migraine. It's the best hangover you ever had - but headache only. Haven't got to cook up yet. :(

What do you do to your plants? - I know you don't trim them (what was Peter Cundall thinking :blink: )

Tips please!

InCider.

My node feels a bit hot, think I might have touched it after handling the Hab's.

I just plant em, and water when required once a week in winter once a day in summer, handfull of complete twice spring and autumn. Have planted about 10 varieties over time, have 4 left. What doesn't come up again after winter or survive looses out. For the Hab's, got a chilli from a chef at a restaurant in Byron Bay, dried it out and crumbled it over the surface of the soil and next thing they were up everywhere, have two bushes that have survived for 4 years now, big enough to get through winter now without dieing off. Just be sure to pick them bare, they seem to crop in waves.

Screwtop - you say you planted a chilli by sprinkling the dried seeds over the surface of the soil and then watering? No way! I'm giving that a try for sure - just with my Woolies brand chilli flakes to begin with though. Excellent...its all falling into place.

Also, anyone got any ideas for my Vanilla Chilli Lager? Linky

Screwtop - you say you planted a chilli by sprinkling the dried seeds over the surface of the soil and then watering? No way! I'm giving that a try for sure - just with my Woolies brand chilli flakes to begin with though. Excellent...its all falling into place.

Also, anyone got any ideas for my Vanilla Chilli Lager? Linky

I pick the chilli's and tie them in Ristra's, just hang them under the eaves of the house, out of the rain and they will dry well. Pick some red, yellow and green, looks great at xmas time. Some of the fleshier varieties like Jalepeno are a bit harder to dry, they can go rotten before they dry. Another good way to dry them is to put them into one of those big wooden bowls from the cheapie stores, maybe made from bamboo not wood, ya know the ones. Just leave them on the kitchen bench or somewhere in the house, they will dry out fine. Take a nice dry chilli and just crush it up in your hand, there you have it seeds and natural mulch, sprinkle that on top of some potting mix and water every couple of days, soon there'll be hot little bastards everywhere.

Cheers Screwtop! I was down at the local Woolies today and picked up some jalapenos and these long thin yellow/orange chillis - no idea what they are [any idea?] but will post pics of them on the rack I made to dry them. Definitely going to grow some, I love spicy foods - had 'enchurritos' tonight! Chicken-based burritos with a nice spicy sauce :D

I've also finalised my Chilli Vanilla Lager concept and am awaiting a free fermenter for a trial run.

Another thing I thought people might be interested in is this link: Scoville Scale. Basically it gives you info on the relative hotness of chillis and how they come to this conclusion via scientific and perceptual methods.

Habaneros are rated at 100,000 to 350,000 Scoville, and Jalapenos 2,500 to 8,000. The variation is down to plant lineage & growing conditions.

One question - whats a Ristra?

Cheers - boingk

Cheers Screwtop! I was down at the local Woolies today and picked up some jalapenos and these long thin yellow/orange chillis - no idea what they are [any idea?] but will post pics of them on the rack I made to dry them. Definitely going to grow some, I love spicy foods - had 'enchurritos' tonight! Chicken-based burritos with a nice spicy sauce :D

I've also finalised my Chilli Vanilla Lager concept and am awaiting a free fermenter for a trial run.

Another thing I thought people might be interested in is this link: Scoville Scale. Basically it gives you info on the relative hotness of chillis and how they come to this conclusion via scientific and perceptual methods.

Habaneros are rated at 100,000 to 350,000 Scoville, and Jalapenos 2,500 to 8,000. The variation is down to plant lineage & growing conditions.

One question - whats a Ristra?

Cheers - boingk

Pretty certain the long yellow orange ones you are talking about are Siam chillis.

If they are the ones I am thinking of they are a good one for beers. They have a nice fruitiness they impart in a chilli beer. They were my personal choice when I was doing chilli beers. Much better than birds eye, or habaneros.

Cheers bconnery - but I just bought a stack of Jalapenos for that purpose because of a good-sounding tip I got...so I'll continue drying the Siams so I can plant their seeds.

Also, a recipe that I tried last night and loved:

Texas Jalapenos

Ingredients:
As many Jalapenos as you want,
Whatever cheese you like [I use vintage cheddar],
1 cup plain flour,
1 egg,
1/2 cup Water,
Lemon/lime.

Before you start, fill your deep-fryer with oil and set it to 2/3 of max temp. Failing that, fill a saucepan with canola oil [2L is plenty] and throw a bit of the batter in when you've made it. When that starts bubbling a fair bit, you're ready to rock! Continue with everything while the pot heats up.

Mix up the flour, egg, and water so it makes a batter & flavour with lemon and/or lime juice.
Then take your Jalapenos and cut of the stalk top so you can get at whats inside.
Run a paring knife around the inside so you de-vein/de-seed it [leave a bit in there!].
Stuff with strips of your cheese.
Dip into batter so all of outside is coated.
Put into deep-fryer until outside is crispy [if you're using a saucepan skewer the Jalapenos first so you can remove them easily].

There you go: Jalapenos - Texas style!

Cheers Screwtop! One question - whats a Ristra?

Cheers - boingk

Its chilli's tied together in a bunch, bit of a nack in tying them but its fast when you catch on.

Like these, they sure look purdy in all their colour - before they dry out. Really decorative to have hanging around the BBQ area at xmas time.
Ristra__Small_.JPG

Grab a metre of string and tie them three at a time up the string every 25mm until you run out of string (leave a bit to half hitch the ristra to a hook or something under the eaves of the house).

Tie them like so, here is a Cayenne, Mild Thai, and a Hab.

Tie2__Small_.JPG Tie5__Small_.JPG Tie7__Small_.JPG Tie9__Small_.JPG

Texas Jalapenos

Ingredients:
As many Jalapenos as you want,
Whatever cheese you like [I use vintage cheddar],
1 cup plain flour,
1 egg,
1/2 cup Water,
Lemon/lime.

Before you start, fill your deep-fryer with oil and set it to 2/3 of max temp. Failing that, fill a saucepan with canola oil [2L is plenty] and throw a bit of the batter in when you've made it. When that starts bubbling a fair bit, you're ready to rock! Continue with everything while the pot heats up.

Mix up the flour, egg, and water so it makes a batter & flavour with lemon and/or lime juice.
Then take your Jalapenos and cut of the stalk top so you can get at whats inside.
Run a paring knife around the inside so you de-vein/de-seed it [leave a bit in there!].
Stuff with strips of your cheese.
Dip into batter so all of outside is coated.
Put into deep-fryer until outside is crispy [if you're using a saucepan skewer the Jalapenos first so you can remove them easily].

There you go: Jalapenos - Texas style!

Boingk, that looks very similar to the Relenos that InCider made for the last do at the Batz Cave except I think they were wrapped in pastry and baked, bloody beautiful, couldn't stop eating them, they taste good smoked as well.

Cheers
Andrew

AndrewQLD - You know what they say...great minds think alike! Hahaha...

And Screwtop - awesome Ristras there! Now I get the picture...or should I say the 'bigger' picture?

On another note, got some Chiptoles today from a place down the street that seems to have everything - $6.35 for 25g isn't too bad is it? May just have to use a few of them in my Chilli Vanilla Lager...geez...this is going to be either a really good or a really bad beer I think :blink:

Latest posts

Back