Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After last years pitiful attempt at germinating hab seeds i was all ready to invest in a heated propagation setup this year.

Tonys coke bottle trick works well if the night time temp doesnt plummet to 3-4C. With 2 cats in the house i am stuck for a decent possy inside. the hot water system is on the roof. All bases covered and all failures.

I used a mini greenhouse last year but as mentioned, the night time temps are too low to get germination. I even moved the whole greenhosue inside the shed at nights but to no avail.

After asking at a Mitre 10 (prop a what?) and then walking out of a hydroponics shop shaking my head ($150? no chance) i decided to invoke the spirit of MacGyver.

I reduced the height of the mini greenhouse to 2 tiers instead of 4 (also have a large collection of veg seeds in there. I raised it off the cold concrete floor of the shed with a few layers of cardboard. Put my brewing heat pad under the tray of chilli seeds. Filled a small conical flask with water and popped in a thermometer (to monitor the temp). Closed it up nice and snug, wrapped the hole thing in a sleeping bag.

The lengths i am willing to go to grow chillis has my partner scared. I grew them from seed in the UK FFS. Sat them in the cupboard with the hot water till they germinated then grew them on the window sill.

So, with any luck i will have red, orange, chocolate and jellybean habs as well as bolivian rainbow, jalapeno and birds eye.

Wish me luck!

Cheers
DrSmurto

just been looking around at chili sauce websites in Australia. I tried some Daves premium reserve a few months back and it burnt my throat, I'm after two bottles of really hot (10 or ++) sauces for a guy at work too.

anyone know any decent online shops?

The 'heated greenhouse' is doing its job.

The snow peas and corn have sprouted.

Temps dont drop below 16C and have reached 26C.

I have the mat directly under the chillis so they will be getting more heat.

Habs are renowned for slow germination so wont start stressing just yet!

The 'heated greenhouse' is doing its job.

The snow peas and corn have sprouted.

Temps dont drop below 16C and have reached 26C.

I have the mat directly under the chillis so they will be getting more heat.

Habs are renowned for slow germination so wont start stressing just yet!

Great stuff Dr Smurto!

I have used Tony's coke bottle fermenters too - awesome little hot houses. Make sure the water does not flow into them when it rains if they're outside :rolleyes: I had one fill right up!

Usually I just throw chillies in flower pots and let them dry then plant. Or sometimes they germinate in the pot plat with the host, then I dig them up carefully and plant.

InCider.

have over the last few days planted seeds of 5 different varieties of chili , 10 of each , have a few more varieties to plant yet if half of them develop into seedlings i should get a few mature plants out of them which will be shared about my friends and family , alos have some seeds on the way for the Bhut Jolokia (worlds hottest) have some mates that need to be taught a lesson so hopefully i can get them growin too

Are you MAN or WOMAN enough? From ACA/ Brisbane Extra today.

If anyone has been to a QLD Case Swap they could scoff one down no problem at all. And BULPs curries are twice as hot at least! :D

CHILLI BURGERS - Monday 20 November 2006
by Margueritte Rossi

Macdonalds has the big mac, and Hungry Jacks has the whopper, well there's one Wellington Point diner, which is laying claim to the worlds hottest hamburger.

The Megadeath burger isn't for the fainthearted and even comes with a health warning because it contains ingredients that make a jalapeno look mild.

So, what makes it so hot?

Well first there's the 10 slices of jalapenos, plus the beef pattie which contains 2 grams of chilli powder.

Then there's the chilli jam, the sweet chilli sauce and the ground pepper.

And then there's the secret ingredient.

It's called chilli mega death sauce made from the hottest ingredients on earth, it'll have you seeing stars, and forget about sending you to the moon, you'll be rocketing all the way to saturn.

The Megadeath burger has a whole tablespoon of the stuff on it. And not even the diner's owner has been able to polish one off.

If you think you've got what it takes the owners of Off the Wall welcome anyone with the mouth and stomach strong enough to take a Megadeath burger, to give it a go. But you have to be over 18 and not have anxiety, asthma, or heart problems.

There's plenty of milk and yoghurt on hand to help you along the way.

The Off The Wall diner is at 386 Main Road Wellington Point - 3207 3209. Bottles of the sauce are for sale at the diner.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Megadeath burger has a whole tablespoon of the stuff on it. And not even the diner's owner has been able to polish one off.

If you think you've got what it takes the owners of Off the Wall welcome anyone with the mouth and stomach strong enough to take a Megadeath burger, to give it a go. But you have to be over 18 and not have anxiety, asthma, or heart problems.

There's plenty of milk and yoghurt on hand to help you along the way.

Milk? Yoghurt???
They need to HTFU and wash it down with a good chilli stout.

My wife was packing the car to drive me up there to........as she put it....... "show then how to eat a chilli burger"

Do i have a problem?

On chillis........ i let my orange hab go over winter. I pushed it in the corner of the poor yard and forgot it for 4 or 5 months.

I checked it a few weeks ago and it was still alive. no leaves and a few dry rotted peppers hanging from its stark branches.

I gave it the rose bush reatment, cut it right bakg to a near stump and after 3 weeks it had open flowers.......... dozens of them and its going nuts. Im a bit fearfull of what it may produce.......... hope there are some HAG's out ther that want orange habs! Im going to have hundreds of them.

I have also planted seeds for Trinidad 7 pots and hot cherries, Bhut jalokia, devils tongue, Fetalli, white bullet habanero's, hot lemons and jalapinos.

See what comes up i guess.

Cheers

It's called chilli mega death sauce made from the hottest ingredients on earth, it'll have you seeing stars, and forget about sending you to the moon, you'll be rocketing all the way to saturn.

The sause is an extract sause and there is not hugh amounts of natural heat in it....

Because of the extract the sause is rated in the "millions" of scoville units!!!!!!! The hottest chilli in the world (Bhut Jolokia) is 1,034,089 scoville units so that gives you an idea of the heat involved in this burger.

Megadeath Sause

I've tried this sause at a chilli festival and it is an instant throat closer......I've eaten a lot of hot chillis with Tony and this stuff still made he act like it was the end of the world. I had to go around behind the stall and cry :lol: It is really painfull stuff.... So it will be a very rare person that will get through that burger...and a big congrats to thoughs who do...... :icon_cheers:

Tone - I pruned back my hab plant last Autumn and moved it out of the frost. The frosts have finished here now so have moved it back into the sun. Unfortunately no signs of life at all. How long do you think I should leave it before hoycking it out and putting a new plant in the pot?
Cheers
Steve

PLEASE TONY BE CAREFUL! I AM WORRIED!

man dies from chili!

i was eating some meat balls at work with Blairs Death Rain powder and one of the guys at work showed me this.. whats the bet they were jolokias??

Made a beauitful sauce this afternoon. Its based on one of Tony's tomatoe based sauces from somewhere in this thread. Had to tweak it a bit though:

Approx 750gms skinless tomatoes from two tins
1 red onion
5 heaped tbspns minced garlic
8-9 orange habs (no seeds as they were for oldy!)
1 cup cider vinegar
1 cup water
1tbspn brown sugar
2 tbspns dried oregano (didnt have fresh)
2 handfulls basil
2 handfulls coriander
250gm tin of chopped pineapple chunks (why the hell not?)
splash of salt, splash of tumeric

and hey presto: 2 x 750 bottles of beautiful sauce (thanks Tone).

P1010049.JPG

Cheers
Steve

Edit: Just had to have a sample of the bottle on the right!!!!

Finally after much anticipation one of my Naga's is up.

naga.JPG

Really! i thought it would have been too cold.. :scrabbles for change for potting mix: excellent news!

Really! i thought it would have been too cold.. :scrabbles for change for potting mix: excellent news!

capretta, I did set up one of the fridges to be a constant 25C. I now put it in a mini hothouse during the day and return it to the fridge at night.

cheers
johnno

PLEASE TONY BE CAREFUL! I AM WORRIED!

man dies from chili!

i was eating some meat balls at work with Blairs Death Rain powder and one of the guys at work showed me this.. whats the bet they were jolokias??

that is scary stuff indeed, he had a reaction to the seeds that his father had grown.

Lee’s sister, Claire Chadbourne, 29, said that he took a jar of the sauce to the home of his girlfriend, Samantha Bailey, and challenged her brother Michael, 29, to see who could eat it. “Andrew just ate the chillies with a plate of Dolmio sauce,” she added. “It was not a proper meal because he had already eaten lamb chops and potato mash after work.

“He apparently got into bed at 2.30am and started scratching all over. His girlfriend scratched his back until he fell asleep. She woke up and he had gone. It is incredible. Who would have thought he could have died from eating chilli sauce? We don’t know of anything else that could have caused his death. The postmortem showed no heart problems.

:eek:

Rumours have it the Maid and Magpie Hotel in Adelaide use Blairs 2am reserve to make their chilli burger. The info i have says its not mixed in when making the pattie but rather injecting into the cooked pattie.

There is a point where it actually becomes medically irresponsible despite making people sign disclaimers......

On to chill plants, 7 birds eyes have germinated, no signs of the habs.

Hey Folks,

The reason this story about the guy dying from eating chillies is sensationalised bollocks (well apart from the fact that the poor guy carked it), is that clearly this dude has suffered anaphalxis and was allergic to something. There is simply no way you would have that type of reaction from just chillies. If he was allergic to chillies he would be allergic to tomatoes and potatoes as well as Solanum (Nightshade) allergys are known. But I guess "man dies from Potato allergy" doesnt make for cool headlines.!

nuff said...
:D

Back